Dundonald Membership - Cheerio!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I didn't realise this was about price ? Many of these clubs have very very good deals for juniors and young adults. I'm a member of one of these clubs and was also a member of another of them for a number of years. Golf is more expensive in central and west Scotland, it's the most densely populated area of the country and so demand for good courses is higher and they charge a higher price. If you take barassie, its 1200 a year ok, well what do you get 27 links holes open all year, championship test of golf and a good practice facility with 2 full greens aswell as a very large putting green. Let's take a course on the Southside of Glasgow, say east renfrewshire, that's what 1050 or 1100 a year and for 4 months of the year it's hardly playable, the practice area sits on rock and isnt usually dry until late April. Most courses on the Southside are similar prices, though without the joining fee of east ren. What's offering value here ? It's not really comparable to compare to price on the other side of the country, you can only compare to relatively local competition as prices vary locally for land and all the rest of it

Genuinely what is your beef with East Renfrewshire Golf Club? Every opportunity you can you run it down or have a pop at it. What is the issue?

That is a genuine question as their is clearly an agenda or bitterness there.

It may not be the best course which is of course very subjective but it's a course I've always enjoyed. It's a nice layout, pleasant walking and scenery, some really good holes plus usually in more than decent condition any time I've visited.

Just seems very odd how much anger and hatred you have towards the place.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Genuinely what is your beef with East Renfrewshire Golf Club? Every opportunity you can you run it down or have a pop at it. What is the issue?

That is a genuine question as their is clearly an agenda or bitterness there.

It may not be the best course which is of course very subjective but it's a course I've always enjoyed. It's a nice layout, pleasant walking and scenery, some really good holes plus usually in more than decent condition any time I've visited.

Just seems very odd how much anger and hatred you have towards the place.
I really dont have any beef with east ren, infact I'd say it's the best layout in renfrewshire. I was purely using it as an example as someone decided to bring price into the conversation, I'm not sure how you consider me doing this as to me having 'beef' with east ren. I could quite have easily used pollock, haggs, whitecraigs or any other course in the area. Deary me

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I really dont have any beef with east ren, infact I'd say it's the best layout in renfrewshire. I was purely using it as an example as someone decided to bring price into the conversation, I'm not sure how you consider me doing this as to me having 'beef' with east ren. I could quite have easily used pollock, haggs, whitecraigs or any other course in the area. Deary me

Yet you didn't?

Perhaps you should look back on all your past comments on East Renfrewshire and I'd be genuinely surprised if there was a positive.

Glad you can appreciate it's a good layout. I believe you give it a very hard time, verging on bad press.

?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Yet you didn't?

Perhaps you should look back on all your past comments on East Renfrewshire and I'd be genuinely surprised if there was a positive.

Glad you can appreciate it's a good layout. I believe you give it a very hard time, verging on bad press.

?
I've lots of positives about east ren, I know the course better than most of its members. If you bring price into it then you have to talk about value for money and that was the point. I used it as it's a course 2 minutes from me and it springs to mind

brfcfan

Visit site
Really overrated course IMO, but what a way to treat the members. When our fellow golfers are being treated this way we should all stick together and not play it. There and many much better courses to play in that fantastic part of the world anyway.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Always makes me laugh when guys talk about £800 joining fees being expensive, or sub £1000 annual fees. Those of us in the home counties would hoover this up, if offered. Golf down here is way more expensive, and salaries are not generous either. Bung in mental house prices, and you Scots really do get a bargain.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Always makes me laugh when guys talk about £800 joining fees being expensive, or sub £1000 annual fees. Those of us in the home counties would hoover this up, if offered. Golf down here is way more expensive, and salaries are not generous either. Bung in mental house prices, and you Scots really do get a bargain.

We have midges and plentiful rain to compensate for the golf. Not all milk and honey. :p

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I didn't realise this was about price ? Many of these clubs have very very good deals for juniors and young adults. I'm a member of one of these clubs and was also a member of another of them for a number of years. Golf is more expensive in central and west Scotland, it's the most densely populated area of the country and so demand for good courses is higher and they charge a higher price. If you take barassie, its 1200 a year ok, well what do you get 27 links holes open all year, championship test of golf and a good practice facility with 2 full greens aswell as a very large putting green. Let's take a course on the Southside of Glasgow, say east renfrewshire, that's what 1050 or 1100 a year and for 4 months of the year it's hardly playable, the practice area sits on rock and isnt usually dry until late April. Most courses on the Southside are similar prices, though without the joining fee of east ren. What's offering value here ? It's not really comparable to compare to price on the other side of the country, you can only compare to relatively local competition as prices vary locally for land and all the rest of it

As JackoG says, you do have something against East Ren as you always take a snipe at it when you can. You could have mentioned other courses in the area but you didn't. And as for being unplayable for four months, if you know so much about the course was you claim you do, you know that's cobblers. The course has been open more than most in the area and it's only closed in extreme conditions. And everyone I've met is saying how well it's standing up to the weather. But why let facts get in the way of your rhetoric.
You claim to be the all knowing with insider knowledge, well I know a lot as well, I just don't go on about it. Frankly this seems to be more of a personal vendetta since they didn't let your favourite become head greenkeeper.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Really overrated course IMO, but what a way to treat the members. When our fellow golfers are being treated this way we should all stick together and not play it. There and many much better courses to play in that fantastic part of the world anyway.

Totally disagree. There are two maximum better than it - in my opinion.

User20204

Visit site

Surely it's all relevant. What are the house prices in this area ? What is the average wage in this area ?

Have you any idea how many people sold up their houses down that way to come and live up in Scotland in relative comfort due to the price they sold their house for.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i think Lundin and Kilspindie have waiting lists and you will need a fair few introductions to get in both and Joining fee's Lundin is £800 plus, not sure about the other two but wouldn't mind betting they do.
Kilspindie is 1 to 2 years and joining fee is 2 years subs. Not much mention of letters of introduction.

https://www.kilspindiegolfclub.co.uk/memberships/

Would love to join there in addition to my own club sometime.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't know anything about this course but it doesn't look very inspiring, am I missing something?

It's short and it's flat. It's nice but not amazing is my assessment, better off playing it without the driver in your bag to make it more challenging/interesting.

It's always good condition. Fun track but wouldn't rush back.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re East Lothian Links, I seem to recall Longniddry and The Glen seeking members a couple of years ago.
Find it strange that folk rate Kilspindie higher then Longniddry but it has been 50 years since I played them.:unsure:
No one ever seems to mention Luffness when posting of courses in that area. Fine course, not sure if they take visitors.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't know anything about this course but it doesn't look very inspiring, am I missing something?

It is short by modern standards but that is part of the charm. There is still plenty challenge if it is windy. Also SSS is 3 less than par so playing to your handicap in their open comp is not that easy.
Some lovely holes and the best par 3 (8th) in East Lothian in my opinion. I'll try and find a pic that does it justice.
https://images.app.goo.gl/DrTpa6FRtEupacwn6

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Re East Lothian Links, I seem to recall Longniddry and The Glen seeking members a couple of years ago.
Find it strange that folk rate Kilspindie higher then Longniddry but it has been 50 years since I played them.:unsure:
No one ever seems to mention Luffness when posting of courses in that area. Fine course, not sure if they take visitors.
Not a fan of Longniddry myself and although the Glen is very good in places (views are incredible) it has too many weaker holes to make the course stand out overall.
Luffness is a very good course but they live in the past and their policy of not allowing all members of the human race to join in this day and age is a disgrace.

D

Deleted member 23270

It is short by modern standards but that is part of the charm. There is still plenty challenge if it is windy. Also SSS is 3 less than par so playing to your handicap in their open comp is not that easy.
Some lovely holes and the best par 3 (8th) in East Lothian in my opinion. I'll try and find a pic that does it justice.
https://images.app.goo.gl/DrTpa6FRtEupacwn6
That is a rather tasty looking hole ?