Driving Revelation

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
Have got to say i was never the best off the tee with my driver and most of the time either found the rough or the woods. This as you can imagine was getting me down in more ways than one so off i went to the local golf centre to have a lesson with scott the local pro. Bottom line i was over swinging the driver so he told me to shorten my back swing a fraction and we worked a bit on set up the up shot of this excuse the pun was that today i played and hit almost all the fairways this i have never done before and this made my second shot on the approach a lot easier hence sorcing 22 points on our back nine. Has you can imagine had a big smile on my face coming off the 18th. I also hit my longest drive ever at 270 yards that really made my day.
i know everyone says that a good short game is required around the greens in this i agree but i also found out today that hitting it well off the tee is just as important.

:D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is important to be consistant off the tee as its easier to play 2nd shots from the cut stuff than deep in the woods. It doesn't have to be a driver everytime and a good golfer will know when a 3 wood, hybrid or iron will be the better option. That said I'm pleased it has worked out so well . The trick is to practice what you learnt and make sure you can do it everytime you play.

PS - A good short game is still a vital component to your game

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As we all know, all parts of the game are important but sometimes it's great just to watch the drive sail high and straight down the middle. :D

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
CONGRATS

I agree with Homer - a good short game is vital to your golf scoring.

But a good drive every now and then is vital to your emotional wellbeing.

If you can build up both sides of your game, then wowser.

But I bet you remember this round longer than one where you single putt 4 greens on the back nine for 22 points.

;)

marmar

Club Champion
Visit site
Nice one.

Something I would like to get sorted sooner rather than later too. The short game has been coming along nicely and 140 yards in I feel pretty comfortable getting close. I just can't get to grips with anything longer than that - managed to hit one out the back of the range with my driver once but have struggled since the lessons started. I'm trusting my pro wants me consistent in my swing on the short game and I can understand that, but as Bob says - we all want to send one flying down the middle.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As we all know, all parts of the game are important but sometimes it's great just to watch the drive sail high and straight down the middle. :D

Do you ever have ' Itjustaintevergonnabegoodenough ' syndrome ?

I natuarally drive with a tad of fade - I just don't get my hands through properly on my long clubs.

I've just got hold of someones old ( now illegal ) King Cobra driver to tide me over, and last weekend I borrowed a couple of clubs ( Not needed any more - final thanks to Jammydodger :cool: ) and sneaked out for 9 holes when the mrs wasn't looking.

First couple of holes drove into the right rough. Not happy.

Then a few drives off the heel. In play and acceptable, but they didn't feel or look good. Slight tut and a mumble under my breath.

On the 6th I get my decent drive back dead straight but drifting off at the end - Nice and safe and well in play. Quick exhale and thoughts like ' why can't I get my hands through the ball '

On the 8th a perfect, straight drive. Lovely. Except thinking ' most decent players get their hand through enough to just draw the ball a little . '

On the 9th a scraggy lunge at the ball. Pull hook OOB down the left.

Why can't I be happy with my golf ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hey Hacker, do you want the bad news?
You'll never be happy with your golf.
off 28 and want to be off 20?
when your off 20, you'll want to be off 15 and so on.
No matter how good a round of golf is, there's always a 'but if'.
The good news is.......
If you want to lose the fade, have your pro check your grip.
If it's ok and you are still fading, try to close the face of your driver ever so slightly at address then take your normal grip and swing normally. Experiment. :)
HTH