Driver tee height

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Teeing it low is fine for me into the wind, as my angle of attack is fairly consistent. Moving the ball back in the stance would be a problem re angle of attack.

Don’t understand why you would tee it higher into the wind. If you keep the ball position the same and swing the same, you will just hit the ball higher on the face. I do try and swing slower into the wind to keep the spin down, though the instinct to smash it harder does take over sometimes !!
Hit up on the ball and you put less spin on it. Less spin cuts through the wind better so goes further.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Use the orange castle tees for my driver, but use the pink ones into the wind. I occasionally sky one with the orange tees, but generally get a better strike with one.

User20204

Visit site
Tests have been done that show you should tee it up when hitting into the wind.
Teeing low promotes a negative angle of attack which leads to more spin, the ball balloons and you lose distance.
Tee it up and you automatically hit up more . That spins the ball less and you get more distance...
It may work for you Rich, but generally you to tee it high going into the wind.

I love the way launch monitors blew all these old theories out the window and to think everyone believed it all just because someone said so.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Any old wood ones do me as long as high enough and when they break they serve another few purposes.. I always keep a few broken ones in my pocket for teeing up irons on par 3s ( I'm a low tee'r) and also to use the broken end to clean grooves when I'm waiting around on a tee, very therapeutic!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I use 69mm wooden tees and vary the height I tee the ball depending on whether I want to hit a draw or cut or high or low. You just have to fix your technique. Plastic castle tees are horrendous, someone ban them, the pink ones seriously get on my nerves

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
My change in drivers recently adjusted my tee height. I always used to play pink castles but then I switch to a Ping LS Tec driver and the extra height really helps with my tee shots nows. Currently using the Pride Gree tees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting coincidence today. Went back to using wooden tees with the driver today and also mistakenly picked up a pink castle one as well. Didn't drive the ball well but the two best ones both came of a slightly lower pink castle compared to teeing it up higher with the wooden version

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I tee it way up with the long blue wooden tees.

Even when hitting a low drive I tee it high but hit level. Low loft driver helps. Find it easy to add loft rather than take it off

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Henrik Stenson, when not on tv, uses those cone shaped rubber tees on a length of string

Really? He waits until the cameras are not on him then digs out his winter rubber tees tied together with string?

That's a joke, right?

mister v

Visit site
i have always used pink castle ones, but this weekend used white wooden tees and drove a lot better as it was slightly higher than the pink....... also used the same tee all round!!
thinking about cost of a wooden tee peg being approx 1p per tee if bought in lots of 1000 and a new M6 or TS3 driver being £350........ im not fussed about snapping a tee peg

D

Deleted member 21258

Teeing it low is fine for me into the wind, as my angle of attack is fairly consistent. Moving the ball back in the stance would be a problem re angle of attack.

Don’t understand why you would tee it higher into the wind. If you keep the ball position the same and swing the same, you will just hit the ball higher on the face. I do try and swing slower into the wind to keep the spin down, though the instinct to smash it harder does take over sometimes !!

Got to agree, keeping it low when playing a windy course is far better. Normally you are playing with some kind of cross wind, if only a little, so you need to reduce the height the ball flys to stop it moving miles off line in the air. Hitting it high with low or high spin is not going to work with any element of cross wind.

As I now play quite alot of links golf, I elected to go from a 12 degree driver to a 9.5 driver, to reduce the height of flight and play with the same tee height. Results are a lot better control on the windy courses but I don't argue that I now have less carry and more run.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I use the PTS pro wooden tees, pushed in so the coloured band disappears.
Recently switched from the Pro length (yellow) to the Pro length plus (blue) and found the extra height really helps me.

This, although I'm still using the yellow, and tee mine so that I can see a mm or so of the yellow band above ground.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Got to agree, keeping it low when playing a windy course is far better. Normally you are playing with some kind of cross wind, if only a little, so you need to reduce the height the ball flys to stop it moving miles off line in the air. Hitting it high with low or high spin is not going to work with any element of cross wind.

As I now play quite alot of links golf, I elected to go from a 12 degree driver to a 9.5 driver, to reduce the height of flight and play with the same tee height. Results are a lot better control on the windy courses but I don't argue that I now have less carry and more run.

when you say "keeping it low", does thinning it count?

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
White/yellow wooden tee pushed into the ground so the yellow bit is in the ground. Strangely enough, I used the same tee yesterday on a winter mat, the tee wouldn't go all the way in, so was higher than normal. Hit the ball much higher on the face and it went surprisingly far for such a bad hit.