Driver tee height

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just started using 3.25 inch wooden tees (the white ones with a blue band on them). Find I'm striking the ball really well at that height. Used to tee it much lower.

As to claims about plastic tees not breaking - normally I'd agree but l recently bought a bag of yellow castle tees (to use with a 3wood of the winter tee mats). Every one of them breaks after a couple of hits. Never known the like of it

I’ve raided my box of tees from the garage

Got pink Castle, orange castle , blue pro length plastic , green pro length wooden and some of those Bart Simpson head like tees! Gonna give them a whirl see which ones work

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I use wooden tees with the yellow band.
For a driver the tee goes in up to the band, slightly further if it’s in to the wind.
If it breaks I’ve got a short tee for my irons

User20204

Visit site
have you ever seen every pro tee off? If not then you might be in for a shock

At no time did I say I've seen "every pro" I asked a question, I personally have never seen a pro use a castle tee so I can only go on my experience.

Wolf

Visit site
Long White wooden tees for me.

I tee the ball up depending on the shot I want to hit, into the wind tee it lower down wind or no wind tee it higher. If I did this with castle tees I'd be buying loads of different height packets.

If I snap one then I've got a tee for iron shots, 3 wood or hybrid.

Also like the fact the white tee will leave a small paint line on bottom of club, helps to show how and where I've hit the ball on club, heel, toe or middle and can see if it's square impact or across the line.

I buy a big bag at a time and I don't worry how long they last.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Long White wooden tees for me.

I tee the ball up depending on the shot I want to hit, into the wind tee it lower down wind or no wind tee it higher. If I did this with castle tees I'd be buying loads of different height packets.

If I snap one then I've got a tee for iron shots, 3 wood or hybrid.

Also like the fact the white tee will leave a small paint line on bottom of club, helps to show how and where I've hit the ball on club, heel, toe or middle and can see if it's square impact or across the line.

I buy a big bag at a time and I don't worry how long they last.

I think that’s why my pro wanted me to switch to wooden tees to get an idea of where the ball is struck

Wolf

Visit site
I think that’s why my pro wanted me to switch to wooden tees to get an idea of where the ball is struck
I remember something from being a junior where I was told about how the tee can help you tell a lot about your shot, and with the painted ones it gives you all the feed back you need, so it's something that's always stuck with me and helps me whenever I hit a shot that does t feel right, I can see where I hit it and get an image of what went wrong to align with what felt wrong.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I position my ball to fit slightly above centre of my driver when I tee it up. The reason for this is because I hit really up on my driver with the ball position quite forward. Always results in a centre strike.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
70mm wooden tees. 3/4 to a full ball above top of driver.

3 wood and irons I use old broken wooden tee’s. 1/4-1/2 ball above 3 wood.

Irons practically pushed all the way in, may as well hit off deck.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
In the old days of wooden drivers I would only use wooden tees, as plastic castle tees marked the club insert. Perhaps that is how I learnt how to tee up with a wooden tee, and didn’t need any help with getting the right ball height ?

I tee up lower into the wind, and higher down wind. One wooden tee fits all.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In the old days of wooden drivers I would only use wooden tees, as plastic castle tees marked the club insert. Perhaps that is how I learnt how to tee up with a wooden tee, and didn’t need any help with getting the right ball height ?

I tee up lower into the wind, and higher down wind. One wooden tee fits all.

Tests have been done that show you should tee it up when hitting into the wind.
Teeing low promotes a negative angle of attack which leads to more spin, the ball balloons and you lose distance.
Tee it up and you automatically hit up more . That spins the ball less and you get more distance...
It may work for you Rich, but generally you to tee it high going into the wind.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Tests have been done that show you should tee it up when hitting into the wind.
Teeing low promotes a negative angle of attack which leads to more spin, the ball balloons and you lose distance.
Tee it up and you automatically hit up more . That spins the ball less and you get more distance...
It may work for you Rich, but generally you to tee it high going into the wind.
Teeing it low is fine for me into the wind, as my angle of attack is fairly consistent. Moving the ball back in the stance would be a problem re angle of attack.

Don’t understand why you would tee it higher into the wind. If you keep the ball position the same and swing the same, you will just hit the ball higher on the face. I do try and swing slower into the wind to keep the spin down, though the instinct to smash it harder does take over sometimes !!