Driver Spin Rate.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone got any idea of what is optimum...... I had a lesson a few weeks ago with my driver as its a club iv always battled...... I have a 9.5 910 D2 thats set at A4...... 5 consecutive hits and the numbers were between 2800 and 3200....
He told me i was carrying the range balls 220-230 yards at night... (If that makes any difference )

But as he isnt a Titleist Fitter he said he was unfamiliar with the brand...... He said that i should put it back to its A1 setting ( 9.5 loft, 0.5 degree open,standard lie ) and it should bring the spin down as well..... problem is that im loosing it right on 7 out of 10 swings now..... Pushing and push slicing it....

Anyone got any insight..... Oh its a made for KiaLi Stiff shaft as well if it makes a difference......

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
that spin doesn't sound too bad. I was in American golf recently knocking various drivers. getting some serious spin numbers. every strike was over 4000 rpm apart from one.

I think I need some professional help. i've since moved the ball position much further forward but still think ill be spinning far too much.

any ideas how to lower spin rates would be greatly appreciated?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Iv no clue as to what it should be really guys...... He just said to me that the more spin i put on it with the driver distance will suffer.....If i drop the loft the spin should come down a little and i should get a more forward flight.....

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Not necessarily, to lower the spin rate you need to reduce the dynamic loft. A big factor that impacts on the spin rate with drivers and woods is hitting down this causes the ball to balloon and this also gives it more sidespin. So many people believe that less loft will generate more distance, to get more distance you need the optimum launch angle (between 12 & 14degrees) and the correct spin. The biggest factor then is how centre the impact is and clubhead speed. This all helps to add up to distance and roll.

The secret is to hit level or very slightly up on the ball. The best way is to set your spine angle and maintain it it throughout your swing, and keep your head behind the ball so you see the club hit the back of the ball.

The spin rate from what I have been told should be between 2500 and 3200 so your pretty good on that. To increase your distance you may well need a regular shaft. I'm no were near an expert, not even close to a novice but have read plenty and am currently having lessons from a decent pro.

Last edited:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no one optimum spin rate. The optimum spin rate varies depending on launch angle and ball speed. A slower ball speed player would need a bit more spin than a faster ball speed player to optimise their carry distance, spin helps the ball stay in the air.
A bigger hitter is generally helped by less spin as lower spin reduces the ballooning effect. 2500ish rpm is good for someone with a 150mph or so ball speed off their driver.
Launch angle is also a factor.
There's a nice table somewhere that maps optimal numbers to swing speed, and launch angle. You could probably find it with a bit if googling.

D

Deleted member 15344

You had best tell the pros who actually hit down on the ball with driver.

Yet Poulter had a session with his coach and gained an extra 20 yards because he has now started to hit the ball on the up more.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You had best tell the pros who actually hit down on the ball with driver.
There is an element of control with hitting down on it as opposed to hitting it on the up. I say this purely because the club head path is straighter at the bottom of its arc, as your coming up and out of the arc the club head position changes. So to get it right you have to either do some hand adjustment to affect the face or know when the face angle changes and hit it on the up before then...
i probably have made that a bit complex sorry, I'll get my coat.