Driver shaft advice please

Mazza1978

Visit site
Hi guys
ive been playing the titleist d2 stiff project X 7c3 shaft now for a few years and now decided I want to change it.
I play off 12 and have ss of 103 and drive around 260-270. However with this club I get a high ball flight and also feels heavy and I'm struggling to get the club through in time.
My questions are would a d3 head help as I've read it produces lower launch angle?
Also I'm thinking of changing shaft to :
Aldila RIP 60
or Ahina 72
any advice would be great please as custom fit isn't really an option where I am!
thanks

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you can find a proshop or range with the Titleist fitting cart, you can try those combinations. Presumably you have knocked the loft down on the head. You could also look for a lower lofted head. Ahina should be worth a go, but there is a long list of other custom options, some at an upcharge, some not, that will also have different flight and launch characteristics. It would also be interesting to see some LM info to see how much the issue is due to spin and how much to launch angle.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Very unreliable to 'fit' from the above details! Best way to find out is to get yourself to a proper fitter and try several out!

D3 apparently has a naturally lower lunch than the D2. If you get an adjustable one (of either style) you should be able to optimise flight/distance - at least that's the theory!

Aldila RIP 60 (Red Eyes) would very likely give you a lower launch and probably feel a little lighter. Ahina 72 wouldn't 'solve' the heaviness problem and is a little more of an 'iron bar' than other Low/Low Diamanas - which you may,of course, prefer. Ahina 60 might be a better choice.You should perhaps consider the Matrix Black Tie series - the 6M3 would be my suggestion (the heavier and boardier 7M3 could work too).

An obvious question/challenge is.....If you re driving 260-270, what is it that is holding your handicap at 12! And should you be concentrating your resources on that/those area/s? While it's very easy to get bored with a Driver after a while, boringly long is something of an asset!! And remember that the flight always looks higher to the striker as it's virtually 2-dimensional - at least when compared to when you stand near another guy and watch their flight in 3D!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the shaft is 6.0 (s)? then weight is approx 73g

the #'s given would indicate being pretty close, within approx 10+ yards or so, to optimum average carry + roll #'s for that approx swing speed

are those #'s (103mph-260-270) from LM data? if not how they been arrived at?

the shaft is say a touch heavy to the new norm and it's characteristics of load favor a swing motion with a pretty brisk tempo in order to 'load' it through transition - was this a off the shelf buy if fitting at local is difficult? is the d2 a 910 head?

wouldn't immediately associate that shaft necessarily to the ball park 100 -103 mph ss

the mention of ''struggling to get the club through in time' would kinda fit to the shaft being somewhat 'heavy & boardy' as it doesn't quite match the swing motion's 'load' capabilities

but the description of shot being high? again if not based on data is kinda subjective

is the shot pattern goin out right in someways push/push fade -ish?

some key figs that would help you some would be knowing the clubhead attack angle, launch angle, and the spinrate and height apex

while the shaft currently used could well play into not being able to find an optimum center strike - the bunch of data that would be real helpful to you would be spinrate and the attack angle - if 3000+ with a negative attack angle that would be a big reason to an 'over high' flight - along with just where on the driver face the majority of strikes come out of - no shaft change is going to totally mitigate those kinda impact conditions over much

would just buy a can of foot spray to spray driver face then at driving range after hitting a good bunch of shots you can see just what the strike pattern is showing - if it's a pattern that is not fairly consistent around center - then in answer to one Q re the d3 430cc head would think maybes the smaller head/face would not be such a great idea as it's a bunch less forgiving with off center impact

not being able to get fit is not he best solution maybes you get better bang for buck saving for a trip to the nearest fit PGA pro with a titliest account if that's the preferred brand - as you could spend a bunch of money on new shaft/s to find its not really the answer

ball park the small data known would tend to indicate looking at 50 - 60g (s) shafts that maybes the load characteristics favor a smooth tempo swing motion - so mean scrolling through the shaft specs to see what options are available at the price you wanted to pay

as fox alludes to given 260/270 average assuming not push slicing it off of the planet - is a distance that could easily put folks into index 6 - 10, so perhaps the biggest improvement to the overall game scoring wise could be from someplace else

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The launch is down to the head more than the shaft. I witnessed blind fitting with my own eye's and the difference from a manufacturers lowest launch to highest is minimal.

Speaking to rob rock and he said shaft weight is where its at

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just an example at someways around the ball speed being produced with a couple of differing launch conditions so maybes not out of center, -AoA, face open some so spinrate/LA changed but with the same bs/ss, as if clubhead maybes not getting through impact someways around square

C2MsRNg.png
[/IMG]

vYmNtU4.png
[/IMG]

Last edited: