3 wood shaft, driver head - An experiment

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tried this in the past with some success, reverted to a driver shaft but an inch or so shorter than standard afterwards, best of both worlds for me :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I was really struggling with my driver so 5 or 6 years ago I tried it , well a shorter shift anyway, only trouble is I was wayward and short with it, sorted the swing issue through lessons and now much improved with the driver. I found a short term fix wasn't the answer, but you never know

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I was really struggling with my driver so 5 or 6 years ago I tried it , well a shorter shift anyway, only trouble is I was wayward and short with it, sorted the swing issue through lessons and now much improved with the driver. I found a short term fix wasn't the answer, but you never know

This is pretty much me and I suspect a lot of people. I can slice my driver off the planet so tried all sorts over the years inc. the cut down shaft. First few rounds I thought i'd cracked it as the distance I had lost was made up for by the fact that I was hitting every fairway. My swing seemed to catch up with this 'cheat' and found a way to reintroduce the slice and I was back to square one before long. Frustrating as I hit my 3 wood pretty straight in relation.

If you really want to try a club a mini-driver might not be a bad option, TM Mini or Callaway 1.5?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps a more lofted driver might help a little?
I know I used to slice a driver like they were cucumbers when using anything less than 12*

HeftyHacker

Visit site
After an accident at the driving range I ended up with two driver shafts and callaway hosels so decided to cut an inch off one of them with a dremel.

That shaft remains in my driver today, I can't say I've noticed any distance lost and I think that's due being able to find the middle more often. I also found it much more controllable for a while however that seems to have deserted me now.

People will tell you about swing weights so I ended up buying heavier weights etc to compensate. However when I brought the swing weight back to what it was with the longer shaft it still felt a little weird so now I don't bother and just have it with a crazy light swing weight.

4LEX

Visit site
I'd strongly recommend this for most golfers but cut down a driver shaft. Although don't do it yourself as it changes the swing weight and the head will feel way too light and you can lose the feel of the face on the backswing.

Higher loft to decrease side spin and shorter shaft for better contact is win win for a quick fix. With new driver shafts getting as light as 50g you won't even lose distance.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really struggling off the tee at the moment, and in the process of lessons. I was duffing it left and about 10-15 yards with the driver, then had a lesson and can launch it now, albeit with a HUGE slice - unfortunately this slice isn't a cut and pretty much unplayable.

I've had a little devilish idea to put a 3 wood shaft in my driver. I don't know if it will psychologically make a difference or whether having that shorter shaft will do anything. At this point I'm up for seeking the advice of crystals :ROFLMAO: Has anyone else done this and what were your results?

Again, I will continue with lessons as I believe that is my route to success, but you never know do you.

I carried out a similar experiment around 2 years ago with an xr16 driver, but I purchased the same spec shaft and cut 2inch off from the top end. Was easier to control for sure.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
**UPDATE**

Found that the shape was straighter, but I knew it wasn't going to fix things properly. Driver back in the driver shaft and lesson bound this friday.