Driver Question

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hello there, I am quite new to this game (been playing 3 months) and I am looking to treat myself to a new driver. I went to American golf and tested quite a few out and the assistant said i'd be best with a Taylormade M4, my swing speed was averaging 125mph. Looking on this site it seems American golf get a mixed review and I don't want to part with all that money if its not a suitable driver for a beginner.

your thoughts are most welcome

My initial thoughts are an AG salesman looking to sell one of the most expensive drivers to get his figures up. Personally, if you already have a driver at this stage, I'd be investing in lessons and learning to hit the one you have as well as you can. Once you can find where the mower goes regularly, then review your options. In my opinion there are better drivers out there than the M4

D

Deleted member 15344

Hello there, I am quite new to this game (been playing 3 months) and I am looking to treat myself to a new driver. I went to American golf and tested quite a few out and the assistant said i'd be best with a Taylormade M4, my swing speed was averaging 125mph. Looking on this site it seems American golf get a mixed review and I don't want to part with all that money if its not a suitable driver for a beginner.

The M4 is a very good driver , very forgiving and certainly not one of the most expensive one - same price as the latest ping but cheaper than the latest Titleist and Callaway and also the M3 - you get a lot more custom fit shaft options and there are plenty of American Golf’s out there with respectable fitters

The M4 will be suitable for a beginner if you don’t mind buying a new driver straight out - there are some very good drivers on eBay or somewhere like Golfbidders but whether it’s the right shaft for you will be a guess without a custom fit

I have an M4 after changing this year and it’s superb

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The M4 is a very good driver , very forgiving and certainly not one of the most expensive one - same price as the latest ping but cheaper than the latest Titleist and Callaway and also the M3 - you get a lot more custom fit shaft options and there are plenty of American Golf’s out there with respectable fitters

The M4 will be suitable for a beginner if you don’t mind buying a new driver straight out - there are some very good drivers on eBay or somewhere like Golfbidders but whether it’s the right shaft for you will be a guess without a custom fit

I have an M4 after changing this year and it’s superb

Just goes to show the OP its a potential minefield. One persons view of the M4 is completely different to another. If I was going to invest in a new driver, and wanted to try a few out, I'd find a fitter or club/range with a decent selection of clubs and get an independent point of view. If you find something that clicks make a note of the spec (loft, shaft, and any settings) and then shop around for the best deals if the place you are testing can't offer a good price

D

Deleted member 16999

My initial thoughts are an AG salesman looking to sell one of the most expensive drivers to get his figures up. Personally, if you already have a driver at this stage, I'd be investing in lessons and learning to hit the one you have as well as you can. Once you can find where the mower goes regularly, then review your options. In my opinion there are better drivers out there than the M4
What do you base the remark about AG salesman on?
They carry a huge range of stock and have found them a bit more professional than simply trying to get figures up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They carry a huge range of stock and have found them a bit more professional than simply trying to get figures up.

I’ve never found AG pushy

Went for iron fit.. sold me the less expensive of the sets I tried

Went for a driver fit once and came away agreeing not to waste my money thanks for your time

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve never found AG pushy

Went for iron fit.. sold me the less expensive of the sets I tried

Went for a driver fit once and came away agreeing not to waste my money thanks for your time
Same here, they had issues quite a few years back with concerns over staff knowledge and monitor settings etc but nowadays I’ve found them to be thoroughlly professional.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same here, they had issues quite a few years back with concerns over staff knowledge and monitor settings etc but nowadays I’ve found them to be thoroughlly professional.

I will say depends on store

3 stores near me (well 4 but I use 3)

Anyways Thurrock I don’t like. The staff always seemed disinterested

Romford spot on.. really helpful

Dagenham (new store taken over from direct golf but kept all the staff) top people. Had almost made me switch away from AG they were that good

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I went to the Callaway stand at the Scottish Golf Show and the lad there was from AG and he recommended heavier steel shafts in my irons.
When I went to Callaway at St. Andrews for a fitting they recommended lightweight graphite recoil shafts.
Just a bit different.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Personal experience, including at one point looking to join AG at their Bird Hills store. In a number of local stores, I've seen clearly new or inexperienced golfers looking around and being thrust the latest top end driver and told it's perfect for them, and yes, even to the point of not even seeing them hit a shot. Now I agree and accept its a generalisation and know AG have worked hard at improving their customer service but I am still wary and have still seen a few examples of a sales person not really looking to talk to customers (even briefly) to find out about their golfing experience before making a recommendation

D

Deleted member 16999

Personal experience, including at one point looking to join AG at their Bird Hills store. In a number of local stores, I've seen clearly new or inexperienced golfers looking around and being thrust the latest top end driver and told it's perfect for them, and yes, even to the point of not even seeing them hit a shot. Now I agree and accept its a generalisation and know AG have worked hard at improving their customer service but I am still wary and have still seen a few examples of a sales person not really looking to talk to customers (even briefly) to find out about their golfing experience before making a recommendation
How long was this? you constantly post you avoid AG every time they come up in a thread.

D

Deleted member 1147

125 swing speed or ball speed?

D

Deleted member 1147

Try reading his post again, you might learn something. :rolleyes:

I read it, and am asking for clarification, as I suspect it may not be correct. And rather than call him out, am giving him the opportunity to revise his statement, given how unlikely a 125 swing speed is.

Ok ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I read it, and am asking for clarification, as I suspect it may not be correct. And rather than call him out, am giving him the opportunity to revise his statement, given how unlikely a 125 swing speed is.

Ok ?

How very dare you doubt and question someones post with no knowledge of the individual, you also might want to read his other posts in the topic....you might learn something...OK ?