Driver Question

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Hello there, I am quite new to this game (been playing 3 months) and I am looking to treat myself to a new driver. I went to American golf and tested quite a few out and the assistant said i'd be best with a Taylormade M4, my swing speed was averaging 125mph. Looking on this site it seems American golf get a mixed review and I don't want to part with all that money if its not a suitable driver for a beginner.

your thoughts are most welcome

Cue_147

Hacker
Visit site
American golf are good because you can try most of the different manufactures equipment.

Once you like the looks of a driver and hit it good, i would then go to your local golf pro for another fitting and to purchase.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get on e bay. Get a second hand one. Ping K15 are good as are Adams Superspeed. Buy one try it, sell it, get another, try it, sell it, get another, try it , sell it etc etc, until you finally find one that works for you. It can be a long process. Have fun buying and selling.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you've only been playing 3 months I don't think you really need to go out and buy a £300 driver. It's up to you of course, but I'd maybe go to an outlet store where you can try out some second hand drivers as well. I suspect a 2016 M2 would be just as good and about a third of the price, for example. Not to mention a Ping G30/G25 or something like that.

D

Deleted member 16999

American golf are good because you can try most of the different manufactures equipment.

Once you like the looks of a driver and hit it good, i would then go to your local golf pro for another fitting and to purchase.

^This all day^

If you want a new driver and can afford it, it’s your money go and buy one, spoil yourself.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

In all honesty I didn't find much difference between them, but did like the look of the M4. Hadnt thought of the local pro shop.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
In all honesty I didn't find much difference between them, but did like the look of the M4. Hadnt thought of the local pro shop.

What was 'not much difference'? If I was spending that sort of money, i'd be looking at the dispersion first (as that is my main issue!) then if they're all a much of a muchness, the one i liked the look of most, then the cheapest!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH if you are new to the game, i wouldn't go spending £300 + on a new driver. as someone else said check out a few local pro shops at courses, they always have trade in clubs that will be a fraction of the price and every bit as good and brand new. They will prob let you try them as well so see what you like. I've the 2016 TM M2 that can be had for less than £100 and best driver ive had and out performed the M4 for me anyway.

As for AG they do have a habit of massaging some of the figures thrown up by their LM. 125mph club head speed is pretty impressive, upper PGA tour speed i think, so you may need a slightly stiffer shaft:thup:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
TBH if you are new to the game, i wouldn't go spending £300 + on a new driver. as someone else said check out a few local pro shops at courses, they always have trade in clubs that will be a fraction of the price and every bit as good and brand new. They will prob let you try them as well so see what you like. I've the 2016 TM M2 that can be had for less than £100 and best driver ive had and out performed the M4 for me anyway.

As for AG they do have a habit of massaging some of the figures thrown up by their LM. 125mph club head speed is pretty impressive, upper PGA tour speed i think, so you may need a slightly stiffer shaft:thup:
I'd agree with this. If it was me I wouldn't rush into spending £300+ on a new driver after only three months playing the game. Take your time, try out lots of drivers and get some more experience and advice before splashing out.
Personally, I wouldn't get fitted at American Golf as I've found them to be too inconsistent and read too many stories about bad fittings.
At the end of the day it's your money but I'd stand back and give yourself a season and if you still want one, treat yourself for the new season.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i wouldn't be spending that money on a new driver if i was you. your new to the gamr game so what suits you today might be detrimental next week.

if i was you I'd just buy an x flex Taylormade driver. something like a sldr or r15. you'd pick one up for £80 and still get that back if you didn't like it.