Driver fitting

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
guys i'm heading to the Belfry on Saturday to be fitted at there National Custom Fit Centre.

i don't want to have my pants pulled down and end up leaving with the most expensive driver/shaft available (Taylormade) - any advice before i go?

or should i just take it all in, then when they say that'll be £300 ask them whats best for me for £200 :)

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site
My advice would be to give them an idea of your budget right from the start. Tell them how much you are looking to spend and say that anything over that would be a real stretch.

At the Belfry they can fit you into a good number of different brands so hopefully you'll find something you can afford.

From our experience, the guys at the Belfry offer a really good service and they wouldn't try to sell you the most expensive thing if it wasn't definitely the right club set up for your game.

Visit site
I am really interested in this.

Please let us know how you get on as I am either going to go to The Belfry or Mizuno in Wrexham this year for some new irons.

Hope it goes well and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Don't foget that your £50 comes off the clubs.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
yeah i've been looking forward to it for ages - staying at the Belfry with loads of mates/and the gf's the following weekend but wanted the new driver for our rounds, first time on a top course and started to get a little nervous about the trip up for the fitting this weekend as i've been having a lot of trouble with my driver recently.
got a lesson tomorrow night and going to spend it all working on my driving - my irons are spot on at the moment so fingers crossed and i'll definately let you know how i get on :)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
first time on a top course and started to get a little nervous about the trip

What I try to do if I am particularly nervous about a tee shot....I try to visualise I'm on my favourite hole at my home course, a hole I know well and normally crack one off the tee. Other than an obligatory glance down the hole in question (to get my bearings) I then make a conscious effort not to look up again, just to pick a point in front of the ball on the line I want to hit it and visualise my favourite hole stretching out in front of me. Keep visualising, nice slow intake of breath (still visualising), pull the trigger and....whack!!
Usually ends up in the cabbage but it sounds good
;) ;) ;)

Seriously, try it. It works for me most times.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
its not the nerves, i always connect cleanly - its more my ridiculous slice which has re-emerged in my game.
i think its just down to me trying to hit the ball too hard off the tee, its much less of a problem in the range - probably cos i'm not trying to spank it into outer space!

D

Deleted member 1147

nm, I've had all but my wedges fitted at the academy & I have had several lessons with Chris & David. They are all good fella's and will help all they can.

Tell them what you have currently, what you want and for how much.

They generally watch, and record the stats, from several shots with your current club(s) and then go off to get several suggested alternatives.

I tried 7 different drivers and chose my driver with no pushing by James (the fitter) to any particular club.

Enjoy - and take a 6/7 iron to calm your swing down mid fitting - hitting drivers too much changes your swing abit!

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks for all the advice guys - had a great day at the fitting centre and would highly recommend it to anyone.
quick run down of what we went through -

1/ checked my current driver specs
2/ hit 10 drives with my Ping and he talked me through the specs (launch angle, spin, carry, roll, club speed, ball speed)
3/ reviewed the results and gave me a club to try which he thought would decrease the side spin (reduce slice) and increase the ball speed (in relation to swing speed)
4/ hit a few more drives
5/ reviewed results
6/ another driver....
and so on.
in the end he said i should definately look at a stiff shaft with a 10.5 loft and said as my swing still needs work, and considering how long i've been playing recommended a draw bias BUT if i was committed to improving this could prove costly (as i may change over the next few months) so the adjustable option on the R7 or CGB would be a good idea.
unfortunetly they didn't have the R7 limited in stock and it would take up to 2weeks to order in (and i'm going back this weekend for my b'day to play the Brazabon/PGA) so i had to pay my £50 in exchange for a voucher. Saying that i'm sure i'll use it in the club shop when i go back and i found the same club online for £20 less :)

big thanks to the lad who helped me - was there an hour and a half and he gave me (in effect) a long lesson at the same time :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sounds like you had a pretty good time. Its amazing when you see your figures on a PC and have them explained. It makes sense as to why the ball flies as it does, especially on the bad ones. I hope whatever you decide to use in the end will give you years of long straight shots.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
had a great time, as i mentioned i was very frustrated cos my swing went to pieces but i tried the new R7 limited out last night at the range (nice and relaxed) and omg what a difference!
stock shot is a banana slice, last night i was mostly hitting them fairly straight with about a 10yard fade but i was also getting a fair few to draw and distance wise i was hitting 240+ (the back of the range) with very little effort :)

happy boy today!