Driving iron question

G1z1

Visit site
I currently have 13 clubs in my bag and was thinking if i was to get one more it should maybe be a driving iron.
My irons stop at a 5 the now and i do find the 5 iron extremely easy to hit off a tee but it only goes about 190 carry, then i have a 4 hybrid that goes around 190/200 carry but i do mostly use this club off the ground. Then is the 3 wood that goes anywhere from 220/250 carry and its a struggle sometimes, I would say i have a 60/40 success rate hitting my 3 wood. Then driver again really inconsistent numbers can go anywhere from 220/280.
So i see affordable golf have some ping g425 crossover irons in stock with stiff shaft, i got custom fitted for my g425 set and all the bag has stiff shafts. Just wanted to ask is a driving iron hard to hit compared to a 5 iron ? and its a 2 crossover iron i am thinking about ordering am i right in thinking that should fit in between my 4 hybrid and 3 wood ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
190 for a 5 iron is pretty good, what sort of club head speed do you have and what is the loft of the 5 iron.

If you have a decent amount of CHS any of the driving irons shouldn't be a problem. As for loft if your 5 is strong you will need to check it against the driving irons. A friend of mine got a 2 iron only to find it was 1 deg dif to his 4 iron.
Personally I go with a 2 hybrid, easy to hit, launches well and can hit it high or low.

G1z1

Visit site
190 for a 5 iron is pretty good, what sort of club head speed do you have and what is the loft of the 5 iron.

If you have a decent amount of CHS any of the driving irons shouldn't be a problem. As for loft if your 5 is strong you will need to check it against the driving irons. A friend of mine got a 2 iron only to find it was 1 deg dif to his 4 iron.
Personally I go with a 2 hybrid, easy to hit, launches well and can hit it high or low.
I am not sure what my club head speed is, at the fitting i was kind of in between normal and stiff shaft ranges so fitter said lets just see what one you hit better and prefer the feel of and ended up hitting the stiff ones better but to be honest I couldn’t notice a difference in feel. I think the loft on the 5 iron is 23.5 and 2 iron im looking at is 18. Reason im leaning towards a driving iron instead of another hybrid is i just hit my 5 iron way better than my 4 hybrid

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You sound very similar to me, in your distances so here is my bag set up
driver , 5 wood ( 65 g shaft and 0.5” longer than std plus it’s a rogue … eBay buy not measured for me but I am happy with it) then I go to a 3 crossover ( stiff shaft - the Ping shafts are on the soft side of the spectrum), and I have currently a 4 hybrid Adams v in the bag .. ( this fits in but is under review.. hybrids offer that forgiveness out of the first cut and poor lies )

I would seriously look at your 3 wood and look at a 4 wood ( cobra .. or go custom on a 5 wood - these clubs cannot be limited to the tee, and must be good fairway options) the 3 crossover for me flies around 210 yards and rolls out anything from 10-20 yards extra… I can hit it off the fairway but it’s a tough one, so I have the hybrid at 21/22 degrees , that fills that gap. ( which you have already covered)

My findings are more loft and long shafts are easier… but this is very swing speed related as high swing speed can deliver a low loft.

G1z1

Visit site
Also wanted to ask as I plan on going to shop to get this iron tomorrow as there showing one in stock. My irons are 1/2 inch longer but hybrid wood and driver are normal length. I’ve noticed the driving iron looks as if it’s the same shaft that’s in my hybrid so they only come in one length right ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also wanted to ask as I plan on going to shop to get this iron tomorrow as there showing one in stock. My irons are 1/2 inch longer but hybrid wood and driver are normal length. I’ve noticed the driving iron looks as if it’s the same shaft that’s in my hybrid so they only come in one length right ?
You can get an extension added if required or you can get a forged one bent. But brutally honest see what loft options there are and choose one by distance and ease of use

G1z1

Visit site
Good luck, I tee mine on a red castle tee and it goes very nicely.. so have a look at your tee heights ?
Right yea thanks for tip. I use the red ones for 3 wood and usually the tiny small green ones for irons or hybrid but ill give the red ones a try tomorrow

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right yea thanks for tip. I use the red ones for 3 wood and usually the tiny small green ones for irons or hybrid but ill give the red ones a try tomorrow
I was a bit surprised as well as I did the same as you, I now raise up my long irons as well .. seems to give a good result. However 3/4 iron shots in or lofted irons seem to pull … someone might be able to explain that

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was a bit surprised as well as I did the same as you, I now raise up my long irons as well .. seems to give a good result. However 3/4 iron shots in or lofted irons seem to pull … someone might be able to explain that

Shut face, either because of toe up or you closing the face, more loft means more effective closure. I am personally very familiar with this problem, for the latter reason.

sunshine

Visit site
Reason im leaning towards a driving iron instead of another hybrid is i just hit my 5 iron way better than my 4 hybrid

Given your love for the 5 iron, why don't you get a 4 iron as well? If you are hitting 190 carry with your 5, you will have no problems with a 4 iron. I find irons much easier to hit than hybrids. Hybrids are designed to help you get the ball in the air, with your swing speed don't you find a 4 hybrid goes too high?

I see you already bought the 2 iron.

G1z1

Visit site
Given your love for the 5 iron, why don't you get a 4 iron as well? If you are hitting 190 carry with your 5, you will have no problems with a 4 iron. I find irons much easier to hit than hybrids. Hybrids are designed to help you get the ball in the air, with your swing speed don't you find a 4 hybrid goes too high?

I see you already bought the 2 iron.
I didn’t get a 4 iron because it would just of went same distance as my 4 hybrid I’m thinking but gave the 2 iron a good testing today, not sure on carry distance but total was between 220/240 and was hitting it a lot more consistent than my 3 wood. Seems as if the 2 iron will just be around same yards as my 3 wood so might end up getting rid of the wood later down the line.

D

Deleted member 1147

I didn’t get a 4 iron because it would just of went same distance as my 4 hybrid I’m thinking but gave the 2 iron a good testing today, not sure on carry distance but total was between 220/240 and was hitting it a lot more consistent than my 3 wood. Seems as if the 2 iron will just be around same yards as my 3 wood so might end up getting rid of the wood later down the line.
I'd suggest keeping the wood, but interchanging it with the 2 iron depending on conditions/course type.
I wouldn't recommend using a 2 iron in wetter/colder months, as you'll lose out on roll. Whereas the 3 wood should carry further.