Driver dilemma!!!

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So posted a few days ago about testing new drivers and was settling for the Ping G400. However a few months ago I spent the day with Callaway testing the Epic. Loved it. But was too expensive to consider. But I got a bit more birthday money than expected...it's now in budget...Ping...or...Epic...? Xxx

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Go with what works best
If they're similar to with looks..

Either way, it's going to misbehave within a few weeks..:rofl:

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd watch the 'five years of drivers' with rick shiels, then realize that a two year old model would be just as good and save me a wad of cash to splurge on more shiny stuff :whistle:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'd watch the 'five years of drivers' with rick shiels, then realize that a two year old model would be just as good and save me a wad of cash to splurge on more shiny stuff :whistle:

I took out my 12 year old Titleist 905T driver yesterday and hit it as good and as far as I hit my TM R11s, says it all I thought.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not saying drivers have not improved but years ago one of my mates would not switch from his Wilson Persimmon driver and I had one of the first Metal Head drivers (Northwestern). We regularly used to switch drivers net result - a good swing and ball hit out of the middle - no difference with either of our length of drives.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a bash with a g 400 ls tec yesterday and liked it. Heavy 76g px 6.0 shaft but was more accurate than my M1. Think it was down to the shaft.

D

Deleted member 16999

I took out my 12 year old Titleist 905T driver yesterday and hit it as good and as far as I hit my TM R11s, says it all I thought.
Only a 6yr difference between those models, maybe trying your 905 against a 915 or 917 you would see a difference.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I see it as whatever feels comfortable in your hands. I'm still taking a Nike VRS Covert from 2012/2013 and I've tried different drivers since from other manufacturers but I just feel so much more comfortable with the Covert plus the results in distance and ball flight weren't any different at all so there was no point in spending cash for no real obvious benefit!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So posted a few days ago about testing new drivers and was settling for the Ping G400. However a few months ago I spent the day with Callaway testing the Epic. Loved it. But was too expensive to consider. But I got a bit more birthday money than expected...it's now in budget...Ping...or...Epic...? Xxx

if you got the 'new driver worm' plus the funds then it's likely at some point you'll take the plunge - seems that the worm fro the epic maybes a tad greater ... "Loved it"

so as well as the 'look' & the 'feel' test

only stuff I would ask - you tested the g400 & epic .... but what were the #'s pertaining to the best averages of dispersion - ball speed - launch angle - spinrate & the SF# (so ability to strike center) from both those drivers ?

plus both cobra & TM have new drivers coming to market

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Only a 6yr difference between those models, maybe trying your 905 against a 915 or 917 you would see a difference.

Oh ye in which way ?? and I'm really interested to know what difference a 915 or 917 would make to my game, like does it hit every fairway ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Oh ye in which way ?? and I'm really interested to know what difference a 915 or 917 would make to my game, like does it hit every fairway ?
I don’t know, that’s why I said maybe :thup:
Whether you agree or not, there is a lot information about improvements in golf club technology over the last 5 years, including a good video by the staff at GM.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hit a G400 driver yesterday. Not a bright idea as it was longer than my G and felt more forgiving. Does look nice behind the ball and I didn't notice the smaller head. I just need to work with my current one and stop the nagging doubt I've set off

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Hit a G400 driver yesterday. Not a bright idea as it was longer than my G and felt more forgiving. Does look nice behind the ball and I didn't notice the smaller head. I just need to work with my current one and stop the nagging doubt I've set off
How much longer was it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would say have a look at what ruff- driver posted and put the doubt out of your mind.

I agree with him but you know what happens once you try that shiny new club!!! Definitely on a list of possibles for 2018 but with a very tight budget set for next year I'm happy the G will be in the bag. It does perform well though and for anyone looking at a new driver the G400 has to be on the list to try in my opinion

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with him but you know what happens once you try that shiny new club!!! Definitely on a list of possibles for 2018 but with a very tight budget set for next year I'm happy the G will be in the bag. It does perform well though and for anyone looking at a new driver the G400 has to be on the list to try in my opinion

Agree the Ping G400 is a very good driver, I've not long brought one only two games so far and it's not that much better than my 2 year old Benross HTX, hoping it will be longer after a few more rounds.