Drinking Culture at Your Club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With the exception of our "gents christmas comp" (which is a known p*ss-up and for which participants are brought by wife/partner/cab etc) I'm not aware of any drinking culture on the course. Don't see people doing it & don't see cans etc in the bins.

As regards the 19th generally, I suspect we are no better and no worse than any other establishment that sells alcohol. But if one looked around after a weekend swindle, whilst one would see some beer, one would see quite a lot of glasses of coke/soda/gunners on the tables - or pots of tea.
We have a couple of unofficial roll up comps over the year and these are really heavy nights and so cars are left and lifts/taxis sorted but other than that people simply take their chances especially those that live a 5/10 drive away. We are a little tucked away and it wouldn't be hard for the police to sit and wait unseen. It has happened once when a guy got shopped deliberately

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What island is that? I know a couple of years ago when I went to Barbados drinking driving was the norm. Drinking and working seemed to be the norm too. Though I heard they was thinking of bringing breathalysers in.
Mauritius 👍

Homer

Visit site
We have a couple of unofficial roll up comps over the year and these are really heavy nights and so cars are left and lifts/taxis sorted but other than that people simply take their chances especially those that live a 5/10 drive away. We are a little tucked away and it wouldn't be hard for the police to sit and wait unseen. It has happened once when a guy got shopped deliberately

Why should it matter if the police are hidden away......would rather that than run over some unsuspecting racegoer.

Dannyc

Visit site
My club has a drinking culture and sadly loads of drunk drivers
My van is always left up there at weekends it costs me 7/8 quid get home in a taxi
Personally to me i love it I love my golf but I also like a drink at the weekend and the bar can really be a good place to be in everyone together and having a laugh 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club has a drinking culture and sadly loads of drunk drivers
My van is always left up there at weekends it costs me 7/8 quid get home in a taxi
Personally to me i love it I love my golf but I also like a drink at the weekend and the bar can really be a good place to be in everyone together and having a laugh 👍
Good to see you being responsible. Sadly we have a few, as I'm sure many clubs do that aren't.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't recall anyone I've played with drinking on the course except for one chap who had a couple of cans of Guinness on the way round. Most people seem to have one or two beers after, or some of the older fellers will just have a cup of tea or coffee. There is a large Asian community in our membership as well though and a lot of them don't drink alcohol, either because they're Muslim or because they're more family centric and decide to go straight back home after the round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I understand why people are saying "shop them" but sadly I don't think it's necessarily as simple as that. Golf clubs are to some degree cliquey whether its the roll up groups you play with, regular four balls or even if you simply put your name down in the drawn competitions and if word was to get out about a member shopping another member in, sadly I feel they would be largely ostracised. I don't agree its right but it something I've seen happen before. Ultimately each driver has to shoulder the responsibility on drinking within the legal limits or deal with the consequences. Having said all that, I don't really feel this is a suitable topic to be discussed in depth on a fun day like this so I'll leave my opinion there

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand why people are saying "shop them" but sadly I don't think it's necessarily as simple as that. Golf clubs are to some degree cliquey whether its the roll up groups you play with, regular four balls or even if you simply put your name down in the drawn competitions and if word was to get out about a member shopping another member in, sadly I feel they would be largely ostracised. I don't agree its right but it something I've seen happen before. Ultimately each driver has to shoulder the responsibility on drinking within the legal limits or deal with the consequences. Having said all that, I don't really feel this is a suitable topic to be discussed in depth on a fun day like this so I'll leave my opinion there

So you'd rather keep your 4 ball intact rather than report somebody guilty of drink driving?

Homer

Visit site

So wrong!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would rather surrender my membership and walk away than play with people who had issues with a member reporting a drink driver

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So each and every one of you, all report drink drivers on a regular basis when you see them at your club?
As I have said elsewhere, I do not spend much time in the clubhouse but if I saw someone drinking and heading for their car I would give them a chance to call a cab and if they insisted on driving I would makethe call. Totally selfish in that I would not want it on my conscience if something happened. Not sure how anyones standing within the club could be more important than stopping a risk to life.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No chance mate
We prob should though 👍
Totally agree. I really don't think anyone reports ALL those that drink and drive on a regular basis. Can you really see someone jobbing members in week in week out? I never personally monitor exactly who has drunk what in the 19th, so it's an assumption as to who was and wasn't fit to drive. I simply can't see anyone reporting EVERYONE which is the assumption of some of the replies on here and if they did I still think they'd be short of playing partners very quickly

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree. I really don't think anyone reports ALL those that drink and drive on a regular basis. Can you really see someone jobbing members in week in week out? I never personally monitor exactly who has drunk what in the 19th, so it's an assumption as to who was and wasn't fit to drive. I simply can't see anyone reporting EVERYONE which is the assumption of some of the replies on here and if they did I still think they'd be short of playing partners very quickly
But what you said earlier was that you would not report a drink driver for fear of being ostracised at your club. Playing semantics a little here.