Downshire Golf Complex

mattdeeks

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking at playing Downshire over the next month at some time. Has any one played there before? I know Homer, Ademac and HTL played there a couple of months ago.

What sort of nick is it in, how hard is it and anything to look out for?

Bargain price at the moment I noticed on their website £15.60 for 18 holes!?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
The Downshire was where I played my first game of golf. It's always had a good reputation, for being the best Muni in the area. It was always in good nick whey back when and a great course to play. Can't say what it's like now as I've been down in Devon for the past 16 years and not played it. Homer always speaks highly of it, so it must still be a half decent track.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We played it about a week after the heavy rain around January time and it shouldn't have been open as the fairways were sodden and the greens were bumpy where they hadn't been able to cut them. Even then it was a pretty good test.

That said if you want to play it now I reckon it'll be in good knick. If you want someone to make up a 4 ball I'm always up for a round.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree its a good Muni, unfortunately we were off mats on all the tees and like Homer said the fairways + greens were soaking.

However, it was obvious that it does have the potential to be a great Muni, I liked the fact they had a starter to monitor who was teeing off.

Like Homer said, if you fancy opening it up to the forum im up for it.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I liked the course and am thinking about a return visit. If you go there just remember that there IS a real practice green and don't spend any time on the useless artifical thing at the front of the pro shop!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There is a decent range, artificial chipping and putting green. Ademac was there for ages honing his technique and none to pleased when just picked up my bag and wandered to the proper putting green.

THe course was in shocking condition but at this time of year will be just coming into its true state. Give it a few more weeks to ensure the mats are finished with on the tees and it will be well worth a visit