Down to 7 in two years?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Ive been playing 5 months now, probably at the range 3 or 4 times a week, not much actual Golf at the moment and a lesson every 6 weeks.

I would say I have some good natural ability coming from a tennis background but I would like to get down to a handicap of 14 by end of next summer and 7 (maybe 10) the summer after that.

Does anyone think that is attainable in the timeframe :)

Thanks
Mattie

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's definitely possible depending on how much natural ability you have, sounds like you're putting in enough work, try and make sure you spend time working on your short game as you can shave plenty of strokes around the green. The range is great for working in the winter but nothing beats actually playing on the course to improve imho.

There are a few forum members who live around Chester / Wirral so if you ever fancy a game shout up.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mattie what are you playing off at the moment? The lower you get the harder it is, from 14 to 7 is a massive jump but not impossible.

Like Colin says you need to spend more time on the course playing in comps and practicing.

Good luck.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
it is defintly doable. if you come from a tennis background, I know plenty of golfers who do, you will be a decent ballstriker but you have to invest some time developping a good putting stroke.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you were half decent at tennis I'd say that the hand eye coordination will put you in good shape to pick up golf fairly quickly and your goal will be possible.

My advice to you would be to avoid getting bogged down entirely with technique and practice on the range. Golf is purely a scoring game, no points for style or technique, you've just got to get the ball in the hole in the fewest shots possible. Hitting the greatest shots on the range will mean nothing if you can't bring them onto the course.

Learning to get round the course is a skill that is overlooked by most high handicappers. Try to play with some of the better players at your club or the wily old codgers who can still chip it round in the mid 70s. Ask about how they play certain holes and how they try to avoid the big numbers.

If you are getting lessons, use some of them for a playing lesson where the pro can give you pointers on how to manage your way round the course as well.

Most of all you've got to enjoy it. Good Luck.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definately possible,the key for me is chipping and putting,practice leaving chips stone dead.Also being aware of how far you hit each club is crucial,it helps with course management.I have been playing 13mths and my handicap is 12,i know i will be single figures next year,good luck.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi All

Ive been playing 5 months now, probably at the range 3 or 4 times a week, not much actual Golf at the moment and a lesson every 6 weeks.

I would say I have some good natural ability coming from a tennis background but I would like to get down to a handicap of 14 by end of next summer and 7 (maybe 10) the summer after that.

Does anyone think that is attainable in the timeframe :)

Yes. Forget the assumption that it's guaranteed because you can play tennis, I can play tennis (that's what my family does), but I'll be damned if it helped me get down to *whatever* all those years ago.

If you are working hard (practice and lessons) and getting the right experience on the course, you'll do it.

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having played tennis it will certainly help your timeing for hitting the ball as for setting your self a goal of 7 which IMO is a doable target i would say enjoy the golf and the shots will fall off your handicap no problem but dont try to hard as this can have an adverse affect of your game.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Yep it would be great to meet some new golfers around here, im always up for a game!

I play off 28 at the moment, not actually played on a proper 18 hole at the moment, so who knows!

Thanks for all the advice everyone, no doubt ill have some more questions very soon.

Mattie

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My view is no, this isn't possible. You are bound to plateau at some point, where the effort required to break through will be too much, and 2 years does not allow enough time, unless you are out of work.
14 in a year maybe, and possibly a cut to 10/11 the following year, but without weekly lessons and hours and hours practicing under the watchful eye of a coach, no. As you get lower you start to hit the law of diminishing returns.
I am afraid starting from 28 isn't a good sign either. Bet Tiger didn't play off 28 when he was 5.

Prove me wrong. Go on. You know you can.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont think having a coach is the be all and end all of being a good golfer!!

Finally after all this time someone who speaketh some real sense , my compliments to you. Lessons this and lessons that...pish...get a good book , grab some instructional mags with tips on how to play certain shots (draws and fades etc) and get out on the practice range hour after hour ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
May be not, it depends how gifted you are. A natural talent in the short game and putting will be ok without one, as I believe this can't be learned (look at Westwood for chipping, and Garcia for putting as examples), but if your natural talent is a massive carve right, you are going to need coaching.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to agree that it is possible but at best very difficult. Any initial improvements will see you handicap tumble by virtue of the system (0.4 per shot under the CSS) and so it'll only take a couple of decent rounds to get you down to 22-24. Once you start hitting the next handicap levels though and particularly when it gets to the 0.2 and 0.1 per shot it makes life very hard to get any sort of big cut.

I personally think some initial instruction is vital so you're starting from the best possible position in terms of technique. Once you have been shown the basics and can hit a ball with something approaching a repeatable swing you'll need to make sure you have a killer short game as that is where the scores (and the cuts) will be made.

I hate to be the harbinger of doom but I think 28-14 is actually harder than it sounds. Apart from hand eye co-ordination and possibly a bit of help with timing I don't think tennis and golf are comparable (moving ball etc). I hope you prove me wrong but it will take an awful lot of work and practice

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also dont believe you need a coach,read as much as you can then practice.Also you need the capacity to learn,that means take things on board.I myself started playing october 08 at a twenty four handicap after giving 3 cards in.ive only ever had 1 lesson the rest is self taught all from book or magazine reading.I have won 5 comps this year and now am a 12hp.i will guarantee now i will be single figures within 2 years of starting golf,im also 44yrs old.i do understand there are all levels but if you believe you can you will.My inspiration was my dad he is 67yrs old and is an 11.9 hp i told him i would beat him ,and i would practice till i did.About a month ago i beat him on level terms,as you can see by the post handicap targets 4 next year many people have a goal,remember no goals no glory.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There is quite a big cross over from tennis bizarrely. My wife plays a decent game of tennis, and when talking about her back hand, alot of the mechanics are very similar to a golf swing. The down side is it would be a left handed back hand for a right handed golfer.

I still think lessons at the start are vital, as once you have an ingrained swing, further changes are very hard to take to.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is quite a big cross over from tennis bizarrely.

Do you mean in a negative way (i.e. not guaranteed one will help the other), because if you do, I agree.

I know youngsters who can do one but not the other. Besides, stationary ball games are different i.m.o.

I gave up serious cricket because my batting was too weak, purely the speed was making life too hard.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to be honest and don't subscribe to this self taught theory. I accept that there are some that have the ability to get to a certain level based on a natural ability. For my money, golf has such a multitude of different skills to accomplish and is the swing is one of those things that can't be seen as it is being done that reading and absorbing information can only take you so far. Why waste time at a range trying different things out that may or may not work and which in turn could be compromising other parts of the game. I'd rather have someone who understands the golf swing and can communicate the necessary information to me and can see instantly if I've understood and performed the changes required. I love working on my swing at a range (probably a bit too much) but would rather spend the time working on something I know will progress me forward than guessing/hoping it will help.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well Mattie, there you have it.
Some experts saying get lessons, some say read books and do it yourself.
Who are right? Both are right. :)
Some are natural and want to figure it out themselves.
Some prefer to use the Pros to guide and help them along.
All you have to do is work out which one you are and go for it.
If you decide to go it alone, the internet is a great source of information along with books and mags...my only advice would be
Make sure you know what your fault is before you go searching for the cure.
Good luck :)