Donnington Grove and Donnington Valley

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I used to play DG quite often several years ago, so probably similarly out of date.
On chalk, so pretty free draining. Always seemed to be run quite frugally, but no idea what, if any, issues Covid period has caused. Would probably be my choice of courses near Swindon, but little experience of any closer to Newbury or Basingstoke. Closer to you, Bowood?

Larry long dog

Visit site
Played grove 2 weeks ago and greens in decent nick for March. Wet weather didn’t help the back 9, so they kept fairways a little longer which was fine. Grove better than valley but a 4.5 hour walk so would recommend a buggy.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Valley is very tight, the back 9 is somewhat squeezed in, but not a bad place for a knock. I've not played the Grove so can't compare, but have been told it's a long walk, don't you cross the motorway at one point?

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Haven't played either for a couple of years. Valley kicked out all their members and went to a pay-per-play model. Many of the Valley members then moved to Grove and they seemed to put their visitor prices up.

Grove is OK, prefer the front 9. Back 9 can get wet. Very long walks between some of the holes, notably 1-2, 8-9, 9-10 and 18-clubhouse.