Does your Club give a prize for best Gross score in weekly Medal?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never understood why there should be a prize for the best gross score in the weekly Medal.

Probably only 3/4% of the field have a chance of winning, usually less, as we have a +3 and the next best is scratch.

Also in the Pro’s winter Comp there is a best Gross in The Stableford Comp!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes, in most medals.
Of course the player who scores the best on the day should get something, that's the whole point of the game.

Our club doesn’t, I won a medal last year (I’m off 17) beating a guy off 6 who had a very good round, I thought it was unfair that there was no gross prize.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I played in a medal at breezy WSM Golf Club years ago where I had 16 pars and 2 birdies.
I won nothing.
It was the last medal I played in.
Things may have changed since those days.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In our (monthly) medals we pay an entry which goes towards crystal glasses and vouchers given out on prize giving day.
We also have optional scratch and handicap sweeps.
These sweeps are paid out in two different handicap categories (under 12 and over 12 I think).
Then there is the 2s pot run by the pro.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours doesn't but I think it would be fair to have some recognition. After all, they have posted the lowest score, been the best golfer. I understand the handicap aspect but the two could go hand in hand to a degree.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ours doesn't.
But a medal is a competitive sport, so some sort of recognition seems appropriate.
After all, if someone is the best, that's pretty much the whole point of the exercise. If you don't like it, play better!
Never said I didn’t like it or perhaps you have read something in my post that was not there. I said I never understood.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played in a medal at breezy WSM Golf Club years ago where I had 16 pars and 2 birdies.
I won nothing.
It was the last medal I played in.
Things may have changed since those days.

That's tremendous scoring with hickory shafted clubs and a gutta percha ball ….. :cool::p;)

Springveldt

Visit site
The only time I can recall seeing lowest gross prizes are on Captains Day. Every other week it’s lowest net that wins, usually by someone that’s a high handicap but has been getting lessons.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think ours does. Although they might be doing it on the quiet, but I've never seen it mentioned. We only have one scratch prize all year as far as I know, which is at the two-day Club Championships.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't believe ours does, unless it's a specific comp that is the best gross score, for example Club Championship Qualifier.

Ultimately handicaps are there for a reason, to give all players a chance to win things. Would a prize for the best gross score be fair, given that there may only be 10% of the field with a realistic chance of winning? Who is paying for that?

Are low handicappers really hard done by or do most clubs just have a greater number of middle and high handicappers?

Also, I'd suggest the course you play at is a big factor as well. A tough, championship style course is going to intimidate most higher handicappers and a lot of mid handicappers, who will play themselves out of contention rather than using their shots effectively. A shorter, 'easy' course is probably going to mean higher handicappers feel more comfortable and score far better there, relative to handicap.

I think the stats bear out that there is a reasonably even spread of winners, when you account for how many from each Cat are playing in any given medal.

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't believe ours does, unless it's a specific comp that is the best gross score, for example Club Championship Qualifier.

Ultimately handicaps are there for a reason, to give all players a chance to win things. Would a prize for the best gross score be fair, given that there may only be 10% of the field with a realistic chance of winning? Who is paying for that?

Are low handicappers really hard done by or do most clubs just have a greater number of middle and high handicappers?

Also, I'd suggest the course you play at is a big factor as well. A tough, championship style course is going to intimidate most higher handicappers and a lot of mid handicappers, who will play themselves out of contention rather than using their shots effectively. A shorter, 'easy' course is probably going to mean higher handicappers feel more comfortable and score far better there, relative to handicap.

I think the stats bear out that there is a reasonably even spread of winners, when you account for how many from each Cat are playing in any given medal.
Although, you could argue the same when competitions are split into Divisions. Will someone playing in Division 2 make the argument "why am I paying for a Division 1 winner, when I beat them nett but only came 5th in Division 2 and got nothing?"

If prizes are still given out for best nett scores, I don't see why there is a problem also having a prize for best gross. It is an acknowledgement that they scored the absolute best medal score on the day, which I think is fair enough.