does on course noise put you off???

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
When 3 of us were just starting out and still learning the ropes we had been told we should all keep quiet and make no noise while someone was hitting. One day my mate was stood on the tee but doing nothing so we said what’s up why are you waiting. His reply was I’m waiting for that helicopter to go past, it’s very loud.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only sudden changes in noise level for me.

I find a green keepers stopping for me in the middle of my swing as bad as them starting in the middle of the swing.

I do not mind other players talking as long as they carry on talking and do not suddenly stop when I am in mid swing.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A bug bear topic for me. I will stand still and silent when others are playing as I know it matters to many. To me too many people are way to precious about it. I couldn't care less if you danced and sang as I play. It won't bother me. I have had PP's apologise after I ht a shot for moving/talking etc during my swing. I genuinely have no idea what they done....I saw nor heard anything. I must just focus well.

I don't mind basic etiquette being enforced, but we also have a person who makes excuses for every shot, the bird, the trouser leg noise etc etc. Some people are afraid to play with him as they don't know where to stand, for how long to stay still (expects stillness for entire pre-shot routine 30 secs) etc. It's just an excuse and it annoys me no end. Focus and get on with your game. There is going to be noise!!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a train line running adjacent to the course boundary. I always tend to let trains pass if I hear them when I am in my pre-shot routine especially as they love to sound there horn on my down swing. As a courtesy and to speed up play I don’t tend to talk on the tee or green outside a comment on shots. Plenty of time waiting and walking between shots to chat.

Pet peeves are people who fiddle mess about with clubs or move their trolley about when I’m on the tee.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
General noise usually okay, but if others in group are having a chit chat I find my mind wandering and focusing in on their conversation. Probably my weakness/fault and if I realise it's happening I will step away.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm fine with noise as long as it's normal background noises. Traffic, greenkeepers, birdsong, etc not a problem. People chatting bothers me a bit but not too bad. Sudden loud noises however do get to me. I guess I'm a bit jumpy.

On Sunday we arrived on our 15 tee to find a peacock standing there watching us. My God they're loud when they decide to go off! It was beautiful bird tho. Actually it was there last Sunday too and decided to fan at us :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend not to get too distracted other than PP's talking on the tee when I'm trying to play or the noise of bag chatter if someone walks behind the tee. Other than that, any bad shot is my fault and looking for noise or an outside influence to blame isn't the answer

13Aces

Club Champion
Visit site
Generally noise doesnt bother me, however the one thing that does is the clatter of clubs as someone is walking. Annoys the hell out of me, and I will always stop my backswing to let them either stop or walk by.
Yes a guy told me off for that very thing last season and i was on a parallel fairway about 50 yards away - funny thing is he drove the noisiest golf buggy around!!

D

Deleted member 21258

Noise doesn't normally bother me unless it is close to me and unexpected.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Noise has never bothered me, I'm happy for people to talk around me when I'm taking my shot but I'm equally happy for people to observe my bad golf in silence. ;)

I have a very occasional playing partner who is seemingly deaf to everything but gets outrageously annoyed at the merest waft of anything barely audible when he's holding a club. I'm starting to think his clubs act as some sort of aerial for his hearing aids because he never hears anything anyone says to him at any other time. It's that or he's just a miserable so and so. Both are likely!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Noise doesn't bother me but it might if I was playing alongside a firing range!
We don't have a firing range but there are pheasant shoots next to the course on a weekend. I'd like to think it was just clay pigeon shooting but I fear not. The guns go off regularly but it just becomes background noise. I remember playing in invitation day last year and at the end of the round one of my group said 'thank you but I could not be a member at this course with that noise going off'. I had to ask him what noise as I had just filtered it out (it was a shooting day)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
while you are playing does noise put you off your shot??

it can be distracting something loud and unexpected right in you back swing, but general noise, like PP talking, a dog barking on the beach or a bird flying by don't bother me in the slightest.

One of the guys i play with can be put off by a Bumble Bee farting in the south Pole , he would put Monty to shame.

anyone else like this?

Yeah ................................ me!
It really bothers me but it's just the way it is. I even get put off when a constant noise suddenly stops.
I really, really hate it but can't seem to do anything about it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
With airplanes taking off every 2 minutes right next to the course, I'm going to say no. God knows how those big ones get in the air!!!!

Sandsider

Visit site
Players on the same hole teeing off behind me while I'm playing my 2nd shot, and them knowing I'm out of range. I don't know that and I'm quite 'gun-shy' about such things.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
With airplanes taking off every 2 minutes right next to the course, I'm going to say no. God knows how those big ones get in the air!!!!

Being ex aircrew, I find playing close to an airfield extremely distracting. The last time I played Royal Troon, there was a 767 doing circuits which was very hard to ignore!