noise distractions

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with two new guys to our group today.

they were constantly distracted by other noise on the course, be it other groups talking on other holes, dogs barking on the beach, crows calling and even a pigeon up in on of the trees at the back of the houses by the 17th tee. god know how many times either of them stopped and waited. to make matters worse they were both pretty slow and, well both played very poorly even on the holes there didn't get put off.

Does noise bother you on the course?

if so what does the most?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Not really, maybe the odd sudden noise if im just about to pull the trigger. I prefer PPs to be quiet, but learnt to not get bothered by it over the years.
I sometimes play with a guy who is upset buy every noise , like you say even a duck quack will send him over the edge.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope, very little bothers me. I just phase it out. We have pheasant shoots quite regularly near to my course and after one invitation day one of my PP commented that he could not play here all of the time with that racket going on. I had to ask him what racket he meant, it had just become plain background noise to me.

I get quite embarrassed by playing with golfers who grumble at every conversation held on the course, people walking past etc. It was bad enough when Monty would blow up at the slightest thing, we are just amateurs. Just get on with it.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a guy like that at our society. Golf has to be played at his pace (which to be fair is not slow, just not quick), demands proper etiquette and is not averse to walking away from his shot and walking to other loud / talkative people on other holes and letting them know what's what if he feels he has been disturbed. He is former high ranking military and has a certain air. Needless to say he does does not receive the respect he demands from society members (mostly in good jest).

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
No background noise doesn't bother me at all, even a zip going as I'm teeing off has no impact on me. If people are having a conversation within my group I'll tee off whilst their mid conversation before they even realise I'm about to go.

The only thing that puts me off is noises that make me flinch. Once someone had some kind of thermos full of pop, I don't know what he did but it must have got a bit lively as it blew the lid off in his bag and made an almighty bang, sods law I was on my downswing and managed to hit the ground about a foot before the ball, the divot took the ball with it straight into some ferns 20 yards a head and was a lost ball due to it being a sheer drop.

I was raging inside, but it was an accident so not much that can be said.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
General background noise, no, just block it out. One sudden noise during your swing can do it though. There is some sort of firing range near our 11th tee so that can be a bit of a lottery sometimes.

One of my mates is terrible for being put off quite easily, anything the rest of his would just tune out, you'll see him getting annoyed and waiting for it to stop before hitting. Then if he hits a bad shot, he'll be grumbling about the thing that put him off all the way up to the green. One time it was literally just the wind when it was really windy - he's getting more and more irate about the wind putting him off. We're just standing there blankly like, 'can't really do much about the wind mate?'

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Constant noise not really, sudden noise or the end of constant noise (eg a mower stopping it's engine) very much so.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a lot of pheasants on our course.(peasants too!)
Every round there's always one that starts a long squawk right at the top of his backdating......
Oooh the language!!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can’t recall that any noise has put me off a shot and our course is near a shooting range.

D

Deleted member 17920

not sure how these two would do at Moray Golf club:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I was just thinking the same before reading your posts.

Always very quiet when a Tornado was climbing just over your head at full beans 🤣