Does it Change Your Opinion?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
With at least 4 top names fighting for 3 wildcard picks, does it affect your opinion of them that they are taking the money in the US rather than going to Gleneagles to fight to qualify. Jiminez has opted to play now his place is at risk but he was going to a wedding rather than playing in America.

Bearing in mind that at least one of them, and perhaps all 4, are going to be disappointed when it comes to selection time, do they really just not care that much or are they all so confident in their own abilities that they believe that they will be picked over the competition.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Each will be confident of a pick.
But at the end of the day they are professionals. They make their money from the game. They don't make money from the RC. Their view will be that they've done enough to deserve a pick but now they've got to swell the coffers a bit more.
There's serious money to be had in the USA over the next few weeks - that's where they'll be.

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me it definately changes my opinion. While i understand that there is very serious money at stake they do not need the money. For me it says to Monty that they are not fussed whther they are picked or not.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just as a matter of interest ('cos I don't know), are some of these guys contractually obliged to play specific tournaments so they can still get their sponsorship money?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Looking at the names who haven't qualified, is this not a case of having the wrong selection criteria? If 2 guys in the world top 10 can't / don't get in, then it's a stupid situation.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at the names who haven't qualified, is this not a case of having the wrong selection criteria? If 2 guys in the world top 10 can't / don't get in, then it's a stupid situation.

This.

It doesn't change my opinion one bit. The US and the FedEx Cup Series/Tour Championship is where the money is right now. It's their profession and what they strive to get to every day they play.

It's not a case of not caring about the Ryder Cup..it's about them being the best at their profession. Those who get picked will show and play with the passion required. I have no doubts about that.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com

I agree with Murph, the situation is farcical. For Donald and Casey to miss out despite being ranked 9 & 10 in the world is a nonsense. If I were Monty I'd pick the next two off the world list and the next one off the world list which would conveniently give you Donald, E Molinari and Casey. Here's hoping Jiminez plays well at Gleneagles!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Is it????

The World rankings are based on a two year rolling period where as the Ryder Cup selection is over a year. The US selection criteria must be crap as the world No. 1 did not get in.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But you could also argue that one win, will get you an automatic in. Poults has done nothing since winning the match play. Casey came second in the same comp. One qualifies, one doesn't.

Yes, the rankings are a bit naff, but it is the only guage we've got. Guys on the world list are playing in harder fields, and don't get in, whilst ranked in the top 10 in the world. Whilst guys on the European list playing minor comps with no one to play against who is any good get in with worse world rankings.

The team should be the top 12 players on the world list.

The Ryder cup qualifying is also a two year prodcess, so why not take rankings over two years

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day everyone knows before the qualification process begins what they need to do to qualify.

If the Ryder Cup means a lot to them then they should alter their schedule accordingly to give them a greater chance of qualifying.

If they do not get to play at it they only have themselves to blame.

B

birdieman

Doesn't change my opinion.

Thay all know the qualifying requirements. Most will accept that if they haven't qualified then they're not playing well enough.

The European Tour is small fry in pro golf these days except for a handful of events, all the top Europeans are over there in the US more and more. If I was a pro I would want to be making the most I could too for me and mine, that's normal for any professional sportsperson.

Casey, Donald and Harrington have all played RC several times. The thrill must wane a bit by the time you play your fourth ot fifth match. I don't think any of them would be that bothered if they miss it.

Why not blood some new players, give other new faces a chance at taking part? They'll appreciate the opportunity more.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Surely there is no way will Monty pick someone because they are 'supporting' the tour?!?! :D

It is the start of the fed ex play offs so I understand them not playing but it is frustrating.

I reckon from what Casey was saying in interviews last week he is picked already....and rightly so,Monty would be stupid not to pick him. Someone big will miss out,Garcia is a definate casualty and so could be Donald,Paddy,Karlsson,Molinari and a good few others but surely that is a sign of the strength of the Europeans.

I think there are only 2 spots left as I cannot see Casey not being a pick and I would still go with 2 from Donald,Karlsson,Quiros and MAJ with

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
MAJ is, I think, a future captain. Without doubting the man's passion for playing in the RC could this be a part of his change of schedule?

For me, Casey and Molinari, thereafter perm one from . . .

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I have always said euro players should support the euro tour more. I would not want harrington anywhere near the Rc. Rose, Casey and rhys Davis for me. We see what happens this weekend.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would seem that the RC means more to us amateurs than the Pro's when it comes down to it, the media over hypes it anyway.

HogansAlley

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree it should be down to form but the big guy is very PRO european tour.

He is indeed but Monty will also do anything to win. When comes to a choice between suporting the Tour and getting the best team, the latter gets the vote - always has done.

Harrington is an interesting one: His RC record is appalling, and last time a split developed within the team between, I believe, Paddy's pals and Sergio's mates. This was captain Faldo's fault but it doesn't put Paddy, or Sergio, in a very good light. And this was all rumour at the time of course…