• No

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Some

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no problem with an extra BH, even being self employed as I am:), and no..I don't work them or Sundays, and Saturdays only when really needed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I did work then no and there again when I did work I did not work Monday day times anyway. I used to get all my paperwork done over the weekend so the only thing I had to do was to drop it in to the office on my way home from the golf club.

When I first started my job (home insurance agent) bank holidays were a real pain in the posterior because Monday was a premiums collection day. When I changed agency I switched all the Monday collections to Tuesday. Only ever had one customer complain (these pensioners really do not like their routines being broken:LOL:).

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bank Holidays would be OK if the regular midweek players were not able to grab all the morning tee times under the pretence of "we always all play Mondays"

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mrs Hobbit used to work in retail. Think of a Bank Holiday when shops are closed, especially the majors like M&S or Debenhams. If she worked, I did, especially when I was still on the tools = double time for me and a day off. Mrs Hobbit was paid single rate.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Used to. And weekends, evenings, nights, on-call duties and so on. Missed more family events than I care to remember including my son’s 5th birthday party many years ago, when I got stuck at a fatal collision. The boy didn’t speak to me for nearly a week, and it about broke my heart seeing his face when I got home.

So now I’m part time and self employed the two rules at the top of the list were no working weekends/bank holidays, and no working after 5pm. Been there, done that. It’s someone else’s turn.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going through 2022

New year's Day worked
Good Friday worked
First may one working
Jubilee ones off
Late summer bank holiday I was working but beg stole and borrowed to swap a set of nights for the week before as twins bday
Christmas day off
Boxing day working but out of choice to get Xmas Eve off

I find as I get long weekends randomly due to roster that bank holidays don't mean much anyways as isn't that what normal people think of them just a long weekend?

So don't miss em

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I get them off but the option is there to go in for overtime and I usually go in. We also shut down at Christmas for two weeks but can still go in even on Christmas Day.
Open book of overtime.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bank Holidays would be OK if the regular midweek players were not able to grab all the morning tee times under the pretence of "we always all play Mondays"
I raised that issue at my last club, Monday morning was blocked out for the seniors section. My head was duly bitten off and nothing changed ?, except I left ?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get all bank holidays back as holiday at the start of the year, so I will only have a BH off if its a compulsory rest day. Suits me fine, I'd far rather have my holiday when I want it instead of when someone tells me to have it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Here in our part of Spain (Valencia), we have 13 public holidays this year. No way can I afford to take them all off. When I was self employed in the UK, I always took the Bank Holidays off, but that was as a result of working Continental shifts when I was younger, and often working the entire BH weekends.

I'd love a job where I got paid holidays tbh, one of the many downsides of being self employed.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just another day of the week for me (trains).
Our club always has a big mixed comp and dinner on bank holidays. Always has. Though you can sneak on from around 1600 if it's a nice evening.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bank Holidays? What are holidays? Being self employed and running the family Ironmongers/Petrol Station, we never closed even on Christmas and New Year. Staff did get holidays but I didn't. I sold the business in 2003 and retired to Perthshire where I met a wonderful woman who has a farm, so any dreams I had of an easy life being a man of leisure soon disappeared!
(Incidentally, Bank Holidays seem to be more of an English thing than here in Scotland.)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just another day of the week for me (trains).
Our club always has a big mixed comp and dinner on bank holidays. Always has. Though you can sneak on from around 1600 if it's a nice evening.

I had a stint working for Bombardier on the maintenenace team based at Central Rivers - although we were a sattelite team and spent most of our time in West Yorkshire.
They quite gleefully told us you got Christmas Day off, but in reality, you were quite likely to work on Christmas Day night as obviously the trains had to prepped for an early start on Boxing Day.

I'd love the pay that driving trains brings home, but jeez, I'd get bored to death going backwards and forwards up and down the same stretch of track day aftr day.

Red devil

Visit site
Working on the railway if you're rostered to work you work. Just Xmas day and Boxing day not required to work,though started a skeleton Boxing day service last year,volunteers requested. Not me I'm afraid, like a stroll and a pint Boxing day.