• No

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Some

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I see there is talk of another bank holiday being introduced, but this got me thinking, who actually gets those days off?

I work for a bank and I work pretty much every bank holiday covering what my colleagues across Europe do and in the US, this includes boxing day.

Healthcare staff work.
Security staff work.
Service industry staff work.
Transport staff work.

So who actually gets the day off and who really does it benefit?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So I see there is talk of another bank holiday being introduced, but this got me thinking, who actually gets those days off?

I work for a bank and I work pretty much every bank holiday covering what my colleagues across Europe do and in the US, this includes boxing day.

Healthcare staff work.
Security staff work.
Service industry staff work.
Transport staff work.

So who actually gets the day off and who really does it benefit?

I get them off - but most of them are in school holidays when I'm off anyway - that being said, they have given us an additional day off in July this year as we are already off for the additional BH this year.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, never. I don't get that excited about them. It just means more people about, busier roads. I know that sounds a bit miserable, probably is :LOL:. I'd rather take a random day off than be off with a chunk of the population at the same time.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Yes.

Four now rolled into annual leave instead which is much better, just leaving Xmas/Boxing day & Hogmanay/NY Day as statutory days when we are closed

Yorkhacker

Visit site
When I used to work in IT we only worked bank Holidays when the project was behind schedule. Double time and a day off in lieu - Yes please!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And Holidays are really just a PITA...
Lots of people do have the day off which means everywhere..including the golf course...is busy..
I tend to work them if a pupil can't do any other day....
We don't need another one in the Spring either...if we do get another one it needs to be mid October...spread them out a bit..

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope, don't get paid overtime or any extra and so I am now strictly Mondy-Friday and no bank holidays. Spent too many years wasting my time off because I thought that the job needed me to be in on extra days but eventually realised that is is never rewarded, barely appreciated and comes to be expected so I simply do not do it any more.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Usually end up working about half of them. Despite being in the indian ocean my workload revolves around uk

The plan was to take both the UK & local public holidays... but most of the time the opposite is true and i get neither

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, but as a contractor I would like the option to or not. Current client's view is that UK operations are down, we are down despite my role being a) non customer facing and b) global.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I get all bank holidays as an allocation, but I'm free to take them at any time.
The company decided that just because you worked in the UK didn't mean you shared the same beliefs/values as the day, e.g. Easter. So they made every bank holiday flexible.
Works well for me, as I work from home almost permanently and my team/projects are mainly based in America which means I can work same days as them and take a Monday when they're off.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Transport sector with supermarkets as our main customers so we work every day apart from Christmas Day, my only days off are if I am away on holiday.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I work every day bar Xmas day (except if your Xmas Eve nights you can work until like 1am)

We get them as holiday to take another time

This year we get an extra off for the extra bank holiday

So not sure the economy would overly benefit.. yes hospitality would get a boost but how many would need extra leave etc which costs money

But people enjoy em .. if I'm off I always go out with family and if not they do somethin

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given how many people only get the minimum holidays plus bank holidays it's a big YES from me for another bank holiday.