Bunker Mentality

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I was invited to a 'Focus Group' kind of workshop at Bunker Mentality (BM) HQ yesterday.

I really didn't know what to expect to be honest, I had no background on them, where they had morphed from, how long they'd been in the industry, and other than an obvious business model of being a clothes manufacturer, what their vision was and were they saw themselves or where they wanted to be in the coming years.

I was introduced to the whole team from the front of house to the backroom staff and we sat and discussed all things golf related; our playing habits which covered our current memberships, clubs/courses we like to play and what we'd pay to play them, club & course rules, attitudes in the golfing world and of course our buying habits with both Tamasine & Robert the owners, brain child's and creators of Bunker Mentality.

I've been to quite a few workshop style gatherings over the years but I've never quite felt as comfortable as I did in the company of these, 'passionate individuals'.

They genuinely wanted to know and learn everything they could about us, after-all, we were 4 very different people (I've been called different before :smirk: ), understanding our buying habits, what makes us buy what we do and coupling all that information with what other responsibilities we may have at home or work thus enabling a picture for them or model of who their target audience is, or could/should be!

I found the whole experience very insightful, refreshing and most importantly, honest.

It was only supposed to be between 4-7pm, but I left around 8.30, the time just flew by, such was the content and interaction of all 4 of us along with the other members of the Bunker Mentality team.

Most of you will have seen me wear their tops at the various meets I attend all around the country, and I have spotted a few of you guys wearing them also, so they are reaching out more and more as a brand.

I haven't been asked to write this or specifically endorse anything, nor am I getting or expect anything in return for writing this, but, I like to look smart on the course :cool:

My personal clothes have mainly over the years been designer labels, and although I think BM's price point isn't up their with Boss and others that carry over their designer brand and prices into the golfing fraternity, Boss and others are not a specific golf brand, unlike Bunker Mentality.

For me the quality between so-called designer labels and that of BM is on a par, although I personally think the cut and quality and individuality in BM's designs are superior.

I have to be so careful when washing some designer labels associated to golf, I have ruined so many in the wash or dryer after only wearing them a couple of times, whereas, I think the BM range is bomb proof, no special washing instructions and they look as new after 12 months as the day I purchased them.

I know from reading many topics on here covering many products within the game of golf that we all have different buying habits, where value for money can and has to be key.

Not everyone can afford Galvin Green when ProQuip will suffice, off the shelf clubs against fitted, secondhand drivers to the latest longest more forging sales blurb, and even playing a course for £15 against £90 can be enough experience to enjoy the game and be involved in golf, but with all that said, we never want to buy twice or be disappointed, so sometimes we need to save and stretch a little to experience and receive the best we can afford and get the best value for money and more importantly, where clothes are concerned, look and feel smart out on the course!

I appreciate somethings are not for everyone, you won't find any beige in the range, but if I feel smart when walking on that 1st tee, and if it adds just 1% extra confidence to my game because of that feeling, then they'll do for me :thup:

#TeamBunker :cool:

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've looked at buying from Bunker and really like the designs, something a little different and bright too but was put off mainly by the price. A polo is around £50-60, nearly double that of an Adidas polo. Like I say I haven't bought so don't know the quality close up, just noticed there's 15% off 1st orders so may treat myself.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've looked at buying from Bunker and really like the designs, something a little different and bright too but was put off mainly by the price. A polo is around £50-60, nearly double that of an Adidas polo. Like I say I haven't bought so don't know the quality close up, just noticed there's 15% off 1st orders so may treat myself.

Same here. Like the look of a lot of their stuff but it's way over priced for what it is. Even with the 15% off I don't think it represents good value.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Same here. Like the look of a lot of their stuff but it's way over priced for what it is. Even with the 15% off I don't think it represents good value.

Price will obviously be a factor in all things we buy, but, at times we can justify spending a little more when we know the quality of the product, what it's potential life period is, and as important, what it offers more than what you can see when buying clothing simply with our eyes!

I learnt quite a bit about what goes into the making of their (BM) products, and one of the technologies was Polygiene-odour-free-technology.

Like most things when shopping online, all we see is the product design which catches our attention, we possibly read a little bit more about it, but naturally our eyes will then go straight to the price.

If that's too high for our liking we move on, but I've been buying BM clothing for nearly 2 years now and I'd never read up on what's invested into it to make it more comfortable for us to wear.

Most national brands are simply cotton tops, in my personal experience there not very long lasting, they fade and go out of shape, you have to be careful how you wash & dry them, so it can be at times the old adage of, you get what you pay for....

As I said in my OP, I've been lucky enough to buy designer brands in my personal wardrobe for many years, I still wear some jumpers, shirts and tops that I've owned for 30 years or more! Why, obviously because of their quality, so I adopt that philosophy with my golfing attire and as such I'm happy to pay a little more as I'm confident I can & will be wearing them for years to come.

I don't buy as much or as many items as I need to because I get great value by paying that little more for the quality of the product which will last much longer than a massive run off of tops that are not necessarily 100% golf brands, just National sport brands. As such I might actually spend less than some do when they buy cheaper clothes because they end up buying twice or more due to the shortened life of those tops/clothes.

That won't be the case with all brands as I find the Under Armour a much better quality material than Ping or even Foot Joy, but we all have different tastes and will like the feel of some clothes better than others.

Price is important, but it shouldn't be the overriding factor without researching what your actually getting for that investment, IMO.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Surely that should read "not every one is mad enough to pay Galvin Green prices when Proquip clothes are every bit as good quality"

But are ProQuip guaranteed for life, I don't want to take this off spec, but you can't compare a 2 year warranty, at best, against a lifetime guarantee.

If I've spend £100 extra for a jacket and after 3 years its breached, then it goes back for a full exchange and a new one, if your ProQuip breaches after the same time or less, you need to buy again, your expenditure in that period of time is now the same and when it goes again over time, will be more, where as mine won't ever move, unless I put on a few stones :eek:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice gear. Far too expensive. Hope you got some nice goodies for your time- not many people willing to give up 4.5 hours to support companies- well played.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a small collection of polo’s, at the last count 56.....
I generally only buy them when they’re on special(or when I been away in the States). I don’t buy cotton only, and always look for technical clothing and aspects.
My favourite brands are Ping and Nike, as they last and stay looking the best for longest. They also have a nice length body, which is perfect for the slightly rounded appearance:)
Whilst I always go for quality over quantity, I won’t be bent over and shafted just because of a label.
To that end, the best value full price technical polos I bought over here have been from Uniglo. Plain but nice colours, keep their shape, generous length, wicking and cheap. Ideal for holidays and such.

D

Deleted member 23270

I went to the Under Armour outlet shop on sunday and bought 4 polos for £56.

Just saying :whistle:

D

Deleted member 15344

Had a look and not a fan of their style and colours - some of the shirts look ok. Did try a top on at a club recently but didn’t like the feel or fit

Started buying Footjoy a couple years back and really like their clothing range and most clubs I go to have them as their club brand so can get a lot of club shirts which I like

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was invited to a 'Focus Group' kind of workshop at Bunker Mentality (BM) HQ yesterday.

I really didn't know what to expect to be honest, I had no background on them, where they had morphed from, how long they'd been in the industry, and other than an obvious business model of being a clothes manufacturer, what their vision was and were they saw themselves or where they wanted to be in the coming years.

I was introduced to the whole team from the front of house to the backroom staff and we sat and discussed all things golf related; our playing habits which covered our current memberships, clubs/courses we like to play and what we'd pay to play them, club & course rules, attitudes in the golfing world and of course our buying habits with both Tamasine & Robert the owners, brain child's and creators of Bunker Mentality.

I've been to quite a few workshop style gatherings over the years but I've never quite felt as comfortable as I did in the company of these, 'passionate individuals'.

They genuinely wanted to know and learn everything they could about us, after-all, we were 4 very different people (I've been called different before :smirk: ), understanding our buying habits, what makes us buy what we do and coupling all that information with what other responsibilities we may have at home or work thus enabling a picture for them or model of who their target audience is, or could/should be!

I found the whole experience very insightful, refreshing and most importantly, honest.

It was only supposed to be between 4-7pm, but I left around 8.30, the time just flew by, such was the content and interaction of all 4 of us along with the other members of the Bunker Mentality team.

Most of you will have seen me wear their tops at the various meets I attend all around the country, and I have spotted a few of you guys wearing them also, so they are reaching out more and more as a brand.

I haven't been asked to write this or specifically endorse anything, nor am I getting or expect anything in return for writing this, but, I like to look smart on the course :cool:

My personal clothes have mainly over the years been designer labels, and although I think BM's price point isn't up their with Boss and others that carry over their designer brand and prices into the golfing fraternity, Boss and others are not a specific golf brand, unlike Bunker Mentality.

For me the quality between so-called designer labels and that of BM is on a par, although I personally think the cut and quality and individuality in BM's designs are superior.

I have to be so careful when washing some designer labels associated to golf, I have ruined so many in the wash or dryer after only wearing them a couple of times, whereas, I think the BM range is bomb proof, no special washing instructions and they look as new after 12 months as the day I purchased them.

I know from reading many topics on here covering many products within the game of golf that we all have different buying habits, where value for money can and has to be key.

Not everyone can afford Galvin Green when ProQuip will suffice, off the shelf clubs against fitted, secondhand drivers to the latest longest more forging sales blurb, and even playing a course for £15 against £90 can be enough experience to enjoy the game and be involved in golf, but with all that said, we never want to buy twice or be disappointed, so sometimes we need to save and stretch a little to experience and receive the best we can afford and get the best value for money and more importantly, where clothes are concerned, look and feel smart out on the course!

I appreciate somethings are not for everyone, you won't find any beige in the range, but if I feel smart when walking on that 1st tee, and if it adds just 1% extra confidence to my game because of that feeling, then they'll do for me :thup:

#TeamBunker :cool:

Are you part of their 'ambassador programme'?

Had a polo and a casual polo from them some years back. Liked the style at the time but neither was that comfortable or lasted well tbh

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
They are quite expensive for golf polos, really. I recently bought 4 from Island Green for £60, similar materials to football shirts i've had, really breathable, great fit. I'll be buying more from them soon.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others have said, the price point sticks for me. Golf is an expensive game as it is without spending £50 on a polo. I used to just wear Ralph Lauren polos that I've had for years, recently I decided I needed a couple of proper golf polos for summer as they're more breathable - looked on clubhousegolf and got two Stuburt polos for £13 each. Happy days. In fact they've now reduced them further to £10 which is quite annoying, lol. But they have Callaway and Ping for £15 as well now, adidas for £20. So paying 50-60 is really not in my interest.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can I ask what was the purpose of the focus group ?

We're they looking for feedback on designs, styles etc. Or how they can improve market share etc.

If it's the latter then sounds like they were asking the wrong people. i.e. Existing fans of the clothing. They should take a look at the feedback in this post. Pretty much 90% of replies wouldn't buy their gear, not at the price it currently is.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but aren’t they targeting a younger demographic? ;)
I’ve got one polo, but I’ve always believed them to appeal to a younger golfer. Some of their branding used to be a bit ‘Golf punk’ but seems to have calmed down now.