Do you score most games you go out

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Played a social game a while ago and this discussion came up.

I don't bother scoring most of the time and the person looked really surprised.

Do you score for most rounds irrelevant if it is a social or comp round ? If you do why do you almost always score and what do you think it brings to your game?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I score 99% of my rounds and find it (usually!) brings focus. Having said that a friend and I had a game a couple months ago when we were both rusty that we didn't bother scoring - and thorougly enjoyed it

D

Deleted member 25172

Keep score every round. Only play social rounds, but there's always a pint or 2 up for grabs, so obviously it needs to be decided somehow.

Visit site
I always score and then I use that to track some basic stats...we've even got to the point where we now always hole out in a social as the first time we entered a comp we were missing a few short ones that would normally been a gimme!

Plus there's normally a few quid on the result!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Providing the game is played to RoG then most likely I'll be scoring it (the basic reason is it gives me a result for how I played) I might stop scoring if its an absolute mare and I end up just dropping balls etc when I've hit it wild & should've went back to the tee

My social games typically have a wee side bet too so need to know who's won

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, every time. I always like to know what my score is for comparison against previous scores. Also the (very) slight competitive angle of who wins out of me and my mates, not that anything is riding on it other than pride.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never used to

However I've started using Arcoss 360 which tracks ever facet of the game. I like this as it incentives every round.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I am not in a comp then I mentally score each hole, then forget it the moment I reach the next tee box. I only write my scores down if I am in a competition.

Perhaps something I should change.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I suspect most golfers with handicaps who play in regular competitions do. If I didn't I would loose focus, get bored and start experimenting to amuse myself

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I now always score in some way.
It may be stableford, medal, matchplay or something else that adds a competitive edge!
It may evenbe to never more than 2 putt but the 1st putt much have a chance of going in - i.e. past the hole!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If I am not in a comp then I mentally score each hole, then forget it the moment I reach the next tee box. I only write my scores down if I am in a competition.

Perhaps something I should change.

This^^ for me, although I won't change. 50 years ago I kept a log of every round, including the weather. Not that bothered anymore.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like to keep score most rounds, just purely to know how I played to my average score. Its good to know on days when you think you have played terrible that you are actually only 1 or 2 shots worse off.

D

Deleted member 1418

Depends on how I'm feeling. If I'm playing a social knock with my best mate, we'll have a match play game where I'll give him a shot a hole (except on the par 3s) or the option of taking a mulligan (he's very erratic!!) - that keeps it quite interesting between us.

If I'm on my own I will mentally score, but to mix it up I will sometimes play a bogey comp against the course - that's quite good fun.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never score if I'm playing alone. I'm just relaxing, smelling the roses and fiddling with my game.
If playing with mates, we usually play a match of some type (6s or 4bbb/greensomes if more than 2 of us). So still not that fussed about numbers, but proper golf played and normally have an idea of where everyone is.
So less than half the times I'm on a golf course (probably a lot less) I'll actually be recording hole by hole numbers for 18.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It depends on the game. If we are playing a bounce game and we are playing match play or skins I'll hold the score in my head but that's it. If we are playing Stableford then we keep the scores to the clubhouse but I don't religiously store my scores after every game.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I'd say about half/half. I usually keep score and a few stats (no of putts, fairways hit etc.) when I play on my own or when I am out with people who do the same. But normally, when I play with my parents, for example, I just don't bother, because I know it is going to be a slow round and we will probably only play 9 or 12 holes anyway (which means I cannot enter the round into my stats software).

Also, when I play an away course for the first time, I normally don't keep score, because it is more about gettiing a feel for the place and try things out.

But I pretty much always know how I stand anyway, so even when I don't record my score, I normally keep track in my head of how much over or under my handicap I am.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't score if I'm playing alone.

I previously had the view that it made sense to play one ball and treat it as a proper round, but I think it makes more sense to play extra shots and treat it as a practice round.

I would stop short of playing multiple shots into greens, as that creates a lot of extra ware and tear on the course, but I'll play additional chips and putts as long as there's no one behind me.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As I'm less inclined to practice as I get older I need the discipline of keeping a score to help with my concentration otherwise my mind starts to drift elsewhere. My short game suffers most where I don't visualise the shot and then seem surprised when my 20 yard pitch ends up 30 feet past the hole.