Reasonable score for 4 man Team 2 to score from 4 85% CH

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I suppose the score is also dependent on what the CR is in relation to Par. If CR is a lot lower than Par, I'd expect to see better scores. Not so much if CR is around or higher than Par. At some courses, a score in the mid 80's could be in contention fairly easily, whereas at other courses breaking 90 points might be expected (ignoring and dodgy scores of course)

I've said this before, but always like to bring it up when relevant. I played in a 4BBB where the winning score was 128 (Pre WHS). All 4 guys were from an Away course, all played off 28 and they filled their scorecard in during lunch afterwards. Another team, their mates, ended up with 121. Meanwhile, me and my team played the round of our lives. So many birdies or nett birdies, and no bad holes. Buzzing as we got in, and I remember our score was somewhere in the 90's. Thought we'd given ourselves a great chance, until we heard we were beaten by 128 and 121. This was a big charity event that ran every year, and that happened to be the last ever year it ran.
i bet the were all "short game wizards"

The Fader

Visit site
Free to any golfers with no morals - Magic Pencils (unused).

Come with free sombrero, stick on droopy moustache and a how not to count higher than 3 instruction booklet

Available from Banditogolfsupplies.com

#stringthecheatingbarstewardsup

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It will depend on the course and conditions etc.

In an open earlier this year at Longcliffe my team won with 89 points. All four of us are low 20s handicaps and simply played very well that day. We had no idea what the prizes were beforehand and entered as it was a very reasonable entry fee (£35 each) to play one of the top courses in the county. Played in a team competition at Scraptoft (courtesy of Voyager EMH) both last year and this year. From memory the winning scores each time were around 88 points. I can't recall playing any other team comps (other than works / charity events where a number of the players don't have proper handicaps)

I remeber getting a lot of stick last year when me and my PP won a betterball at Stanton-on-the-Wolds with 49 points. My PP, who was playing off of 25, had one of the rounds of his life and I worked out would have scored 45 points in an individual competition. I think that I only came in on four or five holes. It is possible to get high scores legitimately, but appreciate that its more likely with a high handicapper having one of those special days.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I suppose the score is also dependent on what the CR is in relation to Par. If CR is a lot lower than Par, I'd expect to see better scores. Not so much if CR is around or higher than Par. At some courses, a score in the mid 80's could be in contention fairly easily, whereas at other courses breaking 90 points might be expected (ignoring and dodgy scores of course)

I've said this before, but always like to bring it up when relevant. I played in a 4BBB where the winning score was 128 (Pre WHS). All 4 guys were from an Away course, all played off 28 and they filled their scorecard in during lunch afterwards. Another team, their mates, ended up with 121. Meanwhile, me and my team played the round of our lives. So many birdies or nett birdies, and no bad holes. Buzzing as we got in, and I remember our score was somewhere in the 90's. Thought we'd given ourselves a great chance, until we heard we were beaten by 128 and 121. This was a big charity event that ran every year, and that happened to be the last ever year it ran.
Sorry but I do not understand.
A 4BBB had 128 points or was it a 4 man team with 3 to score?

Swango1980

Visit site
I can assure you both. It was 4 ball better ball. 2 best scores count on each hole. 128 points won, 121 points second. The scores were that ridiculous, that there were so many complaints, and the organisers were that embarrassed they never ran the comp again.

The 4 28 handicappers were probably single figure handicappers, probably close to scratch. They were probably scoring pars and birdies on nearly every hole, with 2 shots per player on 10 of those holes. Given that a par on a 2 shot hole will get them 4 points, you are looking at 8 points pretty easily on a lot of holes. Maybe more if they get birdies. As 128 points is an average of 7.1 points were hole, it is not too hard to see how 4 single figure handicappers could get 128 points if you gave them 28 handicaps

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I can assure you both. It was 4 ball better ball. 2 best scores count on each hole. 128 points won, 121 points second. The scores were that ridiculous, that there were so many complaints, and the organisers were that embarrassed they never ran the comp again.

The 4 28 handicappers were probably single figure handicappers, probably close to scratch. They were probably scoring pars and birdies on nearly every hole, with 2 shots per player on 10 of those holes. Given that a par on a 2 shot hole will get them 4 points, you are looking at 8 points pretty easily on a lot of holes. Maybe more if they get birdies. As 128 points is an average of 7.1 points were hole, it is not too hard to see how 4 single figure handicappers could get 128 points if you gave them 28 handicaps

Sorry, I think you are mistaken, 4BBB is a team consisting of two players, best score to count, I think you are referring to a team of four and the two best scores to count.

Swango1980

Visit site
Sorry, I think you are mistaken, 4BBB is a team consisting of two players, best score to count, I think you are referring to a team of four and the two best scores to count.
Ahh, yeah. I see what you are highlighting now. Yes, I let the 4BBB accidentally slip into my original post. Yes, I was referring to the same format as per the OP post, 2 best scores out of a team of 4 (not 3 to score)

D

Deleted member 17920

Played in a Comp. On Monday, wet and blustery but only £20 per person to enter so good value off the white tees.

The Prize Fund amounted to £2160 with the winning team receiving £175 p.p, 2nd £125 down to 5th place.

The winning score was 95 points which seemed high to me given the conditions, almost 5.3 per hole.

Added to that The Prize Fund was extremely high in relation to the cost and well worth winning. We were nowhere near!

What do members think?

I
All mid handicappers and all members at the home club?

I think its very doable if you know the course and gel well together.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We scored a 97 once to win on an a windy day so it’s perfectly feasible. All 4 of us played well which is rare and the odd bad hole for one was recovered by someone else. It’s our highest score by 4 and the rest are nowhere near them two. We just see it as a cheap deal to get on courses and if we play well and win something then great.

Asian Dawn

Visit site
I played in a three ball, two scores to count event earlier this year at a well renowned course in the South-West. We got 70 points and were 10th. 3rd place was 74. 2nd place, three low handicap members 80. OK well done.
The winners, three guys all off 18, came in with 85. Just no way. But a 3BB event like that, you're marking your own card. The reaction at the prize giving was muted to say the least.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Seemingly some mistakenly 🤣 put in their net score in the wrong box instead of their gross.

mister v

Visit site
we played in one of these comps and had a brilliant round in some very tough conditions, we all dovetailed well and ended up with a 85. we were chatting to some other teams after the round who'd also had a good score whom we ended up coming 3rd to on count back. When the winners were announced with 95 points they were boo'ed and not in a comedy way... they collected their new golf bags which were the top prize and went straight out the front door and home...
What can you do if people are going to cheat in such a blatent manor.

Swango1980

Visit site
we played in one of these comps and had a brilliant round in some very tough conditions, we all dovetailed well and ended up with a 85. we were chatting to some other teams after the round who'd also had a good score whom we ended up coming 3rd to on count back. When the winners were announced with 95 points they were boo'ed and not in a comedy way... they collected their new golf bags which were the top prize and went straight out the front door and home...
What can you do if people are going to cheat in such a blatent manor.
Booing for 95 points? That is a bit harsh, unless other facts are known.

It is quite possible on a great day, especially at some courses, for a team of 4 fair handicapped golfers to get 95 points. If you can get at least one net birdie a hole out of the 4 players, and another net par for the remaining 3, then that is 90 points. Keep a collective disaster hole off your scorecard, and maybe get a few 6 point holes (and maybe even the odd 7 pointer for a brilliant hole), you can keep your score ticking along very nicely.