Reasonable score for 4 man Team 2 to score from 4 85% CH

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played in a Comp. On Monday, wet and blustery but only £20 per person to enter so good value off the white tees.

The Prize Fund amounted to £2160 with the winning team receiving £175 p.p, 2nd £125 down to 5th place.

The winning score was 95 points which seemed high to me given the conditions, almost 5.3 per hole.

Added to that The Prize Fund was extremely high in relation to the cost and well worth winning. We were nowhere near!

What do members think?

I

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Averaging over 5pts a hole with reduced handicaps, in poor weather..... Nup, I'd have doubts about that score

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our Am-Am events have been won with scores in the mid 90’s in recent times but that comes with a huge caveat. Those scores have only ever been returned by a 4-ball who have been disqualified from another winning position for proven cheating, so there are question marks over the validity of all of their scores.

For the rest of us, mid to high 80’s represents a really excellent day.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
it is a constant discussion in women's golf groups on Facebook, there have been some shockingly high scores often by the same groups but they all have genuine indexes. It is time that results of opens are linked to peoples handicaps so that handicap committees can take these things into account when doing reviews

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
it is a constant discussion in women's golf groups on Facebook, there have been some shockingly high scores often by the same groups but they all have genuine indexes. It is time that results of opens are linked to peoples handicaps so that handicap committees can take these things into account when doing reviews
Given that bad news (in this complaints) is the news that really makes the headlines and social media posters are looking for headline stuff, I wonder how the real proportion of these 'outlandish' scores relates to the actual scores returned in competitions all over the country and never make the news.

Just what is the reason for them?
Cheating in play
Building general play handicaps
Non existent or sloppy handicap c'tees
Genuine 'days in the sun'
or simply that Facebook et al is now an opportunity to broadcast complaints

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Given that bad news (in this complaints) is the news that really makes the headlines and social media posters are looking for headline stuff, I wonder how the real proportion of these 'outlandish' scores relates to the actual scores returned in competitions all over the country and never make the news.

Just what is the reason for them?
Cheating in play
Building general play handicaps
Non existent or sloppy handicap c'tees
Genuine 'days in the sun'
or simply that Facebook et al is now an opportunity to broadcast complaints
good questions, I do know of a group who don't play many qualifiers but are regularly posting about how they played out of their skins to win opens,
i have played in many opens where well over 90 points has been the winning score, while every team can have a day in the sun, it is amazing how often it is the same team.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Clubhouse leaders in the last one I played in had a 94 - we were the 10th group out. We didn't even check to see what the winning score was when they were posted.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why clubs advertise how much the prizes are going to be. Surely not doing this would cut down on the bandits and cheats.

On a side note I think the suspicious couple from the NW are still at it....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why clubs advertise how much the prizes are going to be. Surely not doing this would cut down on the bandits and cheats.

There is a course near to me that advertises big prizes as they believe it will attract more people. A mate of mine asked me if I wanted to play in their open this year and I told him no. I explained why and he then decided not to as well. Even the old pro there, I knew him from another club, knew it attracted cheats, h/c manipulators, but the course owners liked the idea of it being popular. The idea that it looked bad for the course didn't enter their heads 🤷‍♀️

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I think its an amateur sport and prizes with monetary value are a bit silly and encourage cheating. If people want the chance of winning a decent prize run a raffle along side it.

Swango1980

Visit site
I suppose the score is also dependent on what the CR is in relation to Par. If CR is a lot lower than Par, I'd expect to see better scores. Not so much if CR is around or higher than Par. At some courses, a score in the mid 80's could be in contention fairly easily, whereas at other courses breaking 90 points might be expected (ignoring and dodgy scores of course)

I've said this before, but always like to bring it up when relevant. I played in a 4BBB where the winning score was 128 (Pre WHS). All 4 guys were from an Away course, all played off 28 and they filled their scorecard in during lunch afterwards. Another team, their mates, ended up with 121. Meanwhile, me and my team played the round of our lives. So many birdies or nett birdies, and no bad holes. Buzzing as we got in, and I remember our score was somewhere in the 90's. Thought we'd given ourselves a great chance, until we heard we were beaten by 128 and 121. This was a big charity event that ran every year, and that happened to be the last ever year it ran.