Do you go to the seaside any more?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Currently in Wells next the sea, Norfolk for a week. Love it!
As the town is 1 mile from the beach it reminds me of other places which are sold as seaside.
Weston-Super-Mare. A very clever name that.
It's not on a sea of water but on sea of mud, and Super Mare is a Latin suffix. It could never have got away with Weston-On-Sea.
Padstow is promoted as being seaside, but in reality it's 3 miles down an estuary.
Skegness is bracing. More like bloody freezing.
Loads of other places have shingle or rocks rather than sand.

All this adds to the myth that being besides the seaside is good for your health.
In Victorian times not everybody could afford to go to spa towns, so some nutcase came up with idea that Britain is surrounded with a brine bath.
Nonsense of course, but the publicity still lingers.

D-S

Visit site
All this adds to the myth that being besides the seaside is good for your health.
In Victorian times not everybody could afford to go to spa towns, so some nutcase came up with idea that Britain is surrounded with a brine bath.
Nonsense of course, but the publicity still lingers.
Err no………..
”Sea air, which contains iodine, salt, and magnesium, encourages respiratory health and can reduce the symptoms of asthma, promote respiratory health, improve allergies and skin problems, and stimulate the immune system.”

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Err no………..
”Sea air, which contains iodine, salt, and magnesium, encourages respiratory health and can reduce the symptoms of asthma, promote respiratory health, improve allergies and skin problems, and stimulate the immune system.”
That is a complete load of BS, and you have not quoted a source.
As a school kid aged 8 I was send to Ventnor IOW for well over a year in 1958.
I was with dozens of other kids with asthma. I also had severe eczema. None of us got any better.
It did us more harm than good as we never had any progessive schooling.
The only thing that works to relieve asthma is steroid inhalers which didn't appear until 1970.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I was with dozens of other kids with asthma. I also had severe eczema. None of us got any better.
The only thing that works to relieve asthma is steroid inhalers which didn't appear until 1970.

I dare you to make a positive post....

D-S

Visit site
Source https://convenientmd.com/science-based-benefits-to-living-near-the-ocean/
Is your source for your comment just personal experience or do you have a better one?

D-S

Visit site
Source https://convenientmd.com/science-based-benefits-to-living-near-the-ocean/
Is your source for your comment just personal experience or do you have a better one?
In case you didn’t like this source there are plenty of others:-
Sea air is full of negative ions – these are charged particles abundant in sea spray, which, research suggests, improve our ability to absorb oxygen. Some studies indicate they may help us to feel more alert, and Professor Pierce J Howard from the US Centre for Applied Cognitive Sciences says, ‘They might help decrease irritation from particles that make you sneeze, cough or have a throat irritation.’ Other studies have shown that inhaling salty air improved lung function in people with a diagnosis of cystic fibrosis. Hay fever sufferers may benefit from a few hearty gusts of sea air, too. ‘Onshore breezes can blow away pollen-laden air, although that has to be balanced against the chance of offshore breezes blowing pollen at you. If that’s the case, at least you can dive into the sea and wash it all off,’ says airborne allergy expert Max Wiseberg (haymax.biz).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The salt mines near Krakow have a ward in them for people with breathing issues. The air is pure, from the salt, and so helps the lungs etc. This happens now still, not 200yrs ago. Breathing sea air will be a similar theory.

Anyone thinking there isn't salt in sea air should see any wooden structure on the coast and see how it is affected, how often it needs painting etc. Whether there is enough salt to help chest problems is another matter but any breeze off the sea has to be cleaner and better than inland air.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So best go live in the City then.

RichA

Visit site
Playing wind instruments is very good for asthma. They've been around for tens of thousands of years.
Filey, on the Yorkshire coast has a brass band. Win, win.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
The salt mines near Krakow have a ward in them for people with breathing issues. The air is pure, from the salt, and so helps the lungs etc. This happens now still, not 200yrs ago. Breathing sea air will be a similar theory.

Anyone thinking there isn't salt in sea air should see any wooden structure on the coast and see how it is affected, how often it needs painting etc. Whether there is enough salt to help chest problems is another matter but any breeze off the sea has to be cleaner and better than inland air.
Indeed, I’ve had asthma for a few years and was using an inhaler, but found I was using it more and more, a friend who is big on “alternative” medicine told me about a Salt pipe, tried it and never looked back, I rarely get asthma now.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Reading the above posts reminds me of the prejudice against asthmatics. Asthma is a respiratory disease where some people are more afflicted than others.
But because Paula Ratcliffe is asthmatic, all should be able to run fast. Sheer ignorance by people who have never had asthma.
The reality is that people with more than mild symptoms can seldom breathe properly, and I am one of them.
Not only did living by the sea do me no good at all, but I also lived in Davos, Switzerland.
Some people there had such severe asthma they could only survive at 5000 feet.
When I had to leave my asthma came back, but I was rescued by a new steroid inhaler.
Asthma is one disease that medical science has never been able to cure.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Reading the above posts reminds me of the prejudice against asthmatics. Asthma is a respiratory disease where some people are more afflicted than others.
But because Paula Ratcliffe is asthmatic, all should be able to run fast. Sheer ignorance by people who have never had asthma.
The reality is that people with more than mild symptoms can seldom breathe properly, and I am one of them.
Not only did living by the sea do me no good at all, but I also lived in Davos, Switzerland.
When I had to leave my asthma came back, but I was rescued by a new steroid inhaler.

Your inhaler worked for you which is, of course, fantastic news for you. Is it not even remotely possible that other therapies help other sufferers with their symptoms?

Asked without a hint of prejudice, by the way, as I have early onset COPD.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Asthma is one disease on a very long list of diseases with no cure.
Dad had rheumatoid arthritis, but a brain tumour saw him off at age 66. I have a brother who has been type 1 diabetic since 1969. I have allergic rhinitis - worse in May and June due to pollen. I have a friend with multiple sclerosis. My grandfather died at age 48 of Hodgkin's disease 18 years before I was born.
I have a cousin whose daughter died of a heart attack brought on by a severe asthma attack.
I am very very lucky - so far, so good.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Your inhaler worked for you which is, of course, fantastic news for you. Is it not even remotely possible that other therapies help other sufferers with their symptoms?

Asked without a hint of prejudice, by the way, as I have early onset COPD.
Sorry indeed to hear that.
Your first port of call is obviously the medical profession.
As a supplement I can only recommend a bit of trial and error in whatever you can realistically try.
I used to find that cycling helped clear my lungs.
A bit of mountain air is also good.
In recent years I've felt benefits from Tai Chi.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Once more you continue to embarrass yourself. Before you copy and paste something I suggest you read constructive replies to the post.

Quote, from your source.

Rapid Response:​

Re: Asthma deaths rise 33% in past decade in England and Wales, may not be what it seems.​

It appears that Asthma UK are being very selective with their use of the statistics. Their press release identifies a 33% increase in “deaths from asthma attacks” in the last decade, and goes on to highlight a 42% increase in deaths in those age 35-44 years (1) This gives the impression that the increase in deaths from asthma is a widespread phenomenon and has been widely reported in the media (2), and the RCGP expressing “deep concern” and that “addressing this should be a priority for Government and NHS”(3)
However deaths from asthma in those under 55 fell by more than half in the decade 2007 to 2017 (3), and though the percentage of deaths certificated as asthma and status asthmaticus did increase by 42% from 2017 to 2018; the absolute numbers are low, (24 to 34) and 2017 was the lowest in the last 6 years (5).
Most deaths, and all of the growth of deaths certificated as being from asthma are in those over the age of 80, and particularly those over 90 (Apparently doubled from 189 in 2007 to 376 in 2017). Given that the deaths in younger age groups are much lower, it seems unlikely that systematic poor care is a cause for the rise. As COPD is a 10-20 times more common a cause of death in older age groups it is likely that seems likely that misdiagnosis accounts for many of these “asthma deaths”, and as deaths from COPD have risen in line with increasing population then it is likely that this accounts for some of the rise.
The increase in deaths in the elderly however appears greater than the growth of deaths from COPD and another possibility is the misdiagnosis of heart failure, as asthma. That heart failure can mimic asthma is well recognised, and some studies indicating that 1/3rd of elderly patients present as “cardiac asthma” (6). HFpEF (heart failure with preserved ejection fraction) in particular is common, hard to diagnose and easily mistaken for asthma(7).
In summary I suggest that asthma is actually likely to be a much less common cause of death than the statistics suggest, and in the younger age groups quite uncommon, and increasingly so. As prevalence is increasing the reduction in mortality is likely to be from better prevention delivered primarily from our nurses in general practice, and better emergency care from our hospital colleagues. I doubt this is the sort of analysis that will help Asthma UK make headlines.

suffice to say your link is tosh and adds nothing to going to Skeggy where the air is so Bracing. 👍

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
suffice to say your link is tosh and adds nothing to going to Skeggy where the air is so Bracing. 👍
Like to know what experience you've had of asthma which is a word meaning that sufferers have various degrees of breathing difficulty.
In my case, my entire life. Every single day.
Yet I'm also very active.
'You're just putting it on', some people say.
A silent killer where people suffer in silence.