Do you go to the seaside any more?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Like to know what experience you've had of asthma which is a word meaning that sufferers have various degrees of breathing difficulty.
In my case, my entire life. Every single day.
Yet I'm also very active.
'You're just putting it on', some people say.
A silent killer where people suffer in silence.

I worked in a coal mine medical centre for 26 years. Seen enough breathing problems inc asthma to know of its affect on life. Furthermore I know of not one person who has said “ you’re putting it on”. Maybe because X-rays showing dust, lung function tests etc have proven they have lung problems. Furthermore. Miners enjoyed going to the coast for the fresh air. anyone who has lung problems will tell you the benefits it has.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
Like to know what experience you've had of asthma which is a word meaning that sufferers have various degrees of breathing difficulty.
In my case, my entire life. Every single day.
Yet I'm also very active.
'You're just putting it on', some people say.
A silent killer where people suffer in silence.

I've had asthma for 35 years, since exposure to fumes due to a faulty extractor when I worked for GEC as an apprentice.
It's well controlled by a steroid inhaler.
In those 35 years I have never suffered prejudice or been accused of putting it on. But I don't bang on about it either, so maybe people don't realise.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Moved to Scotland in January and been to “the beach” more times than I’ve been in the last 50 years…..

The beaches up here are fabulous, golden sand and crystal clear (admittedly cold) water, but the post wasn’t about swimming 😛

I live near Leven, which isn’t the greatest of towns, but even here the beach is ok and good for a walk

IMG_5438.jpegIMG_5432.jpeg

We’re close by to number of great beaches, all within 20 - 30 mins, including traffic.

Elie
IMG_5700.jpeg

IMG_5699.jpeg

A well known golfing mecca

f1fec686-78f0-400a-a802-0af9552d8a87.jpeg
6b01d698-1417-478d-bf39-ce391bce69ad.jpeg

When the grandkids come, they don’t care about the weather or the temp, they just want to play on the beach and paddle barefoot in the sea.

Then I’m at this beach every day. Has it helped my asthma, who knows, has it helped my general well being , that’s a resounding yes.

IMG_6407.jpeg

In answer to the original post, yes I still go to the beach, have plans for a picnic at this one at the weekend.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Lived by the sea for most of my life, and never happier than when I’m out on it. Lots of canoeing, sailing(some single handed and some crewing) and plenty of fishing. Thoroughly enjoy wandering amongst the rocks and along the shoreline. Don’t like crowded, noisy beaches although often take the beach chairs and parasol to a quiet bay we know.

Lived in the Lake District for several years, and although I enjoyed the Lakes for the sailing, canoeing and climbing I still hankered to be out of sight of land.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently in Wells next the sea, Norfolk for a week. Love it!
Going to Norfolk in a couple of weeks & Wells is on the list. Used to go all the time as a kid, as grandparents lived in a tiny village (Wighton) not far from Wells and we used to get dumped there a lot by the parents during holidays - haven't been for 30+ years, so it will have changed a lot.
Are you going to the beach at Holkham - that was always lovely as a kid?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Point I've been trying to make is that being by the sea is no cure for asthma.
Up a mountain where the air is pure is better, but still no cure.
TB sufferers with plenty of money would (before effective drugs) head to the Swiss Alps.
With less money to sanatoriums along the coast.

There is sometimes a high incidence of asthma in coastal communities, such as near oil refineries.

All this goes back to the age of the Victorians when it was widely believed that taking the waters at spa resorts would be a cure-all.
I live near to Leamington Spa and nobody goes there any more, unless they want to admire the evidence of the wealth brought in by desperate people.
Science has revealed underlying genetic problems are a significant cause of incurable diseases like asthma.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Live in a town 6 miles from the coast

I love spending the morning or late evening down there in the summer.. a beer listening to the waves as well fantastic

And love to watch the waves crashing during the winter days

It’s a place I go when things are good and a place I go when I need some headspace

Tashyboy

Visit site
Point I've been trying to make is that being by the sea is no cure for asthma.
Up a mountain where the air is pure is better, but still no cure.
TB sufferers with plenty of money would (before effective drugs) head to the Swiss Alps.
With less money to sanatoriums along the coast.

There is sometimes a high incidence of asthma in coastal communities, such as near oil refineries.

All this goes back to the age of the Victorians when it was widely believed that taking the waters at spa resorts would be a cure-all.
I live near to Leamington Spa and nobody goes there any more, unless they want to admire the evidence of the wealth brought in by desperate people.
Science has revealed underlying genetic problems are a significant cause of incurable diseases like asthma.

your topic is, Do you go to the seaside anymore. Now your point is being by the sea is no cure for asthma. You’re in danger of the mods telling you to get back on the topic. Only one person mentioned Asthma and they went as a kid in 1958.

one of your comments is,
That is a complete load of BS, and you have not quoted a source.
Another comment is
So let me try and put it in a way you can maybe relate. I worked in an industry ( similar to the oil industry)where the seaside was a million times healthier than working in a hot, dusty, wet, freezing, Humid environment on three shifts. It kicked seven bales of crap out of your body and health. For some spending two weeks in Skeggy or anywhere on the east coast was heaven compared to the other 50 weeks of the year. The sea, sand etc was good for athletes feet. It was a joyous time for families, the highlight of the year. More importantly , all they could afford. The health benefits were an added bonus on top of having two weeks of fish and chips, arcades and 8 pints of John Smiths, Stones or marksman lager.
saying there is no benefits to going to the seaside, well that is a load of BS.
Trying to convince folk otherwise is like trying to convince a pit pony that the last two weeks of his summer holiday which he has eaten tons of fresh green grass, rolled around in the sun with his pals is rammel and his time is better spent back underground. First of all you had to catch him. And like the pit Pony, you’re struggling to catch and convince us.

Last edited:

OntheteeGavin

Visit site
Going to Norfolk in a couple of weeks & Wells is on the list. Used to go all the time as a kid, as grandparents lived in a tiny village (Wighton) not far from Wells and we used to get dumped there a lot by the parents during holidays - haven't been for 30+ years, so it will have changed a lot.
Are you going to the beach at Holkham - that was always lovely as a kid?
Hi, It has changed in the last 6 years in my experience! Yes walked to Holkham beach / hall through the forest, got the bus back. Enjoy.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
your topic is, Do you go to the seaside anymore. Now your point is being by the sea is no cure for asthma. You’re in danger of the mods telling you to get back on the topic. Only one person mentioned Asthma and they went as a kid in 1958.

one of your comments is,
That is a complete load of BS, and you have not quoted a source.
Another comment is

So let me try and put it in a way you can maybe relate. I worked in an industry ( similar to the oil industry)where the seaside was a million times healthier than working in a hot, dusty, wet, freezing, Humid environment on three shifts. It kicked seven bales of crap out of your body and health. For some spending two weeks in Skeggy or anywhere on the east coast was heaven compared to the other 50 weeks of the year. The sea, sand etc was good for athletes feet. It was a joyous time for families, the highlight of the year. More importantly , all they could afford. The health benefits were an added bonus on top of having two weeks of fish and chips, arcades and 8 pints of John Smiths, Stones or marksman lager.
saying there is no benefits to going to the seaside, well that is a load of BS.
Trying to convince folk otherwise is like trying to convince a pit pony that the last two weeks of his summer holiday which he has eaten tons of fresh green grass, rolled around in the sun with his pals is rammel and his time is better spent back underground. First of all you had to catch him. And like the pit Pony, you’re struggling to catch and convince us.
Well said Tash, I grew up in Millwall, in the 70s/80s it was a grim run down place, the docks were closed, unemployment was running at twice the national average, we played on old bomb sites and in closed factories. Our weeks holiday at Clacton still burns bright in my memory 45+ years later, the thrill of being at the seaside was unbelievable, I still get that feeling of tremendous wellbeing even today at the beach, so in answer to Stefan’s question. Yes, yes yes. 😄

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I live close to the sea and don’t suffer with any asthmatic symptoms & what’s more I never have, but what I have noticed is that my skin seems to have a semi-permanent golden tinge to it, should I move closer to an inland town or major city? :unsure:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Only time I've been down a coal mine was the Big Pit at Blaenavon, now a museum.
Felt like I'd rather have been a donkey on the sands than a pit pony for sure.
One comment recorded from a former miner: They should have closed the pits years ago.
Now I hear that Whitehaven folk want the coal mines back under the sea.

So, what's the best non Open seaside links in the UK?
Even though I only ever played there once - Royal Dornoch.
GM commented that if it had been further south the Open would have been held there.
Tom Watson revealed it as his most fun course.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi, It has changed in the last 6 years in my experience! Yes walked to Holkham beach / hall through the forest, got the bus back. Enjoy.
I've seen Wells on a recentish "Escape to the Country" and it did look very different.
I remember the walk through the forest to the beach, over the dunes to where it opened out to what seemed to be miles of beach and miles to the sea. Never went to the hall though in all those years (all about the beach) but want to get to see it this time.
Can't wait - hope you had a great week?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A lovely morning at Kingsbarns beach today. A short 10 Min stroll along the Fife coastal path brought us to this secluded gem of a beach.

IMG_6722.jpegIMG_6720.jpegIMG_6729.jpegIMG_6731.jpeg

One odd thing that happened, was a group of about 16 walkers doing the coastal path. Despite the huge beach, and the fact that we were the only two there when they arrived, for some reason they trudged across the beach and literally walked within 1 yard of us as we were eating our picnic. No idea why they felt the need to do that with the whole beach empty….🤷🤷

RichA

Visit site
Exercising their right. Same as those that step out of the trees onto the golf course without looking, exercising any courtesy or even acknowledging the existence of other humans.

Tashyboy

Visit site
A lovely morning at Kingsbarns beach today. A short 10 Min stroll along the Fife coastal path brought us to this secluded gem of a beach.

View attachment 48249View attachment 48250View attachment 48251View attachment 48252

One odd thing that happened, was a group of about 16 walkers doing the coastal path. Despite the huge beach, and the fact that we were the only two there when they arrived, for some reason they trudged across the beach and literally walked within 1 yard of us as we were eating our picnic. No idea why they felt the need to do that with the whole beach empty….🤷🤷
They wanted a butty 👍