Do you go to the seaside any more?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When we were kids our parents used to take us to Butlins Bognor, loved it. On other occasions we would stay in a converted railway carriage on the beach at Pagham. Our son was at uni in Chichester and when I took him back after a weekend at home, we would divert to the beach at Pagham just so that I could reminisce, yes he thought I was bonkers too!
We also used to go there. each year for about 6 years n the trot, a week in May.
Even went there on my honeymoon for a week, the last year before they changed it all. Never before had I had the ability to play in the slot car room like I did that year:)

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe I'm spoiled living on the south coast but we hve some of the best beaches in the country pretty much on our doorstep. We visit them all year round but obviously more in the summer as i enjoy water sports, in fact we're off to Mudeford this eveing for a couple of hours on the paddleboards:cool:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I live at the seaside (not far from Cooden Beach)... if you think its dark, dreary, expensive.... then I suggest you're going to the wrong places 😎
I agree, Skeg vegas may not be your thing, but give a 7 and a 9 year old the 2p,s you have saved up all year and there happy for an hour.yeah you can Chuck a quid in a machine an get yer 50 x 2ps but it’s not the same excitement as emptying yer pig. Hot chips and a rola cola. Kids love them.
But if it’s adults seaside, some of the places I have visited on the east, west and south coast, not forgetting wales and Scotland are sensational.

RichA

Visit site
Many happy days and weeks spent on some of the less busy beaches of Devon and Cornwall.
As a kid, all our holidays were either on the Gower or the inner Hebrides. I'd be thrilled to return to either.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Never had any inclination to 'go to the seaside' in my life anyway. That's not the kind of thing I find interesting or enjoyable. Even as a child I don't recall being bothered by it.

We all know you get anxiety if you venture too far outside the M25!😁😁

I walked on Saunton Sands this evening, was lovely. We go to Ogmore and Rest Bay as well.. can't beatxa sea view!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

John Masefield

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not as often as I should given I live about 10 mins away - I'd much rather drive the 45 mins to the lakes

However, I do love a good sunset and the beach does offer some spectacular ones.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I live in a seaside town. Yesterday evening my wife and I walked the 20 mins into town where we had fish and chips sat on the harbour wall washed down with a couple of beers. Can’t remember when I last went on the beach though.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Hi regularly.

Went to Titchwell in Norfolk to walk the dog on Sunday morning. Glorious. It was quiet on there and had an awesome brunch at the Thornham Deli.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think there is a great deal of difference between seaside resorts like Blackpool where the sole purpose seems to be to get you to part with as much money as possible whilst wearing kiss me quick hats and downing endless pints of watery beer and quiet seaside towns like Tenby, Lyme Regis and many, many more where you can enjoy the town and the beaches in relative peace

D

Deleted member 18121

I think there is a great deal of difference between seaside resorts like Blackpool where the sole purpose seems to be to get you to part with as much money as possible whilst wearing kiss me quick hats and downing endless pints of watery beer and quiet seaside towns like Tenby, Lyme Regis and many, many more where you can enjoy the town and the beaches in relative peace

Thats it exactly.... we often take a walk along the beach at Pett Level when the tide is out and watch the seals. Hard to beat.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When we were kids our parents used to take us to Butlins Bognor, loved it. On other occasions we would stay in a converted railway carriage on the beach at Pagham. Our son was at uni in Chichester and when I took him back after a weekend at home, we would divert to the beach at Pagham just so that I could reminisce, yes he thought I was bonkers too!
When I was young my parents owned a sited caravan in Bognor and we loved going for a couple of weeks every year (it was let out at other times). When they sold it we still went to Bognor many Saturday or Sundays as it was favourite place to go.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Was not expecting Blackpool to be compared to Tenby.
There is actually quite a lot to do in Blackpool and nearby there are quiet sandy beaches.
Like, I can walk the promenade from Lytham to Fleetwood. Get the tram, train or bus back.
So what is there to do in Tenby that could keep me interested for more than a few minutes?
All I have ever seen there are caravan parks.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was not expecting Blackpool to be compared to Tenby.
There is actually quite a lot to do in Blackpool and nearby there are quiet sandy beaches.
Like, I can walk the promenade from Lytham to Fleetwood. Get the tram, train or bus back.
So what is there to do in Tenby that could keep me interested for more than a few minutes?
All I have ever seen there are caravan parks.
Lots of walks, nice shops and bars in town centre, zoo just outside town, harbourside, boat trips, sea swimming - heck, you can even just sit on the beach and relax if you want

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well okay, you pay your money and you take your choice.
A couple of miles from Tenby is one of the most beautiful coves in the country at Lydstep, but what do you see?
A hideous monster of a caravan park.
Blackpool has some pretty good golf. Royal Lytham, St Anne's Old Links for a start.
Never played them but I would have loved to.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sounds like my childhood, my grandparents used to live in Pagham and we used to go to Bognor all the time, or out fishing in my grandads boat (old inflatable one with an outboard). Think it was the Royal Oak beer wherewe spent a lot of time in the family room whilst parents were in the bar.