Do you also have this addiction ?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whenever I pitch up and find out there is an 18 hole competition running I always enter.

It does not matter what the format is, medal, stableford, bogey etc., if I am woefully out of form, the course is frosted and rock hard, so wet the ball plugs or disappears on the fairways, blowing a gale - does not seem to make a difference.

I am compelled to play in the comp .....

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I enjoy competitive golf and enter all single competitions,not so fussed about other formats but I will play in some double competitions and Texas scrambles, thinking of joining another course so I can play more single competitions.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I lose interest in social games with nothing on them. Need to play in a comp, for hc or even just a couple of quid with mates. I also have no interest in team games.

jeez, I'm a miserable bugger!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I lose interest in social games with nothing on them. Need to play in a comp, for hc or even just a couple of quid with mates. I also have no interest in team games.

jeez, I'm a miserable bugger!

I'm pleased you added that last bit 😁. I'm probably the opposite. I prefer social games for fun rather than comps. I love team games over playing individually. They are more interactive and social.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
used to. the first few year after starting to play ( apart from the first few months, i didn't play weekends) i played every comp and the ones at the 2nd club i joined and at least one open. there were some weeks i would play 4 comps a week.

once i got down to 6 and lower i sort of picked a chose, what and when apart from at Nairn, where i will play all the silver comps. This year was the first time i didn't play all the pullar medals.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I invariably enter any comp that is running on a day I play, I also like team games but I dislike matches more and more that require a formal dinner after.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
My whole golfing life is one competition 😀 can't get enough of them.

No point shooting level or better in a friendly with zero pressure - do it in a comp you have the proof 😘

I'm ready for first team golf in 2018 #ScratchLeague

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Can never find my best golf unless something's riding on it. Can't remember a bounce game where I posted anything like a decent 18 hole score.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Comp, knock with mates, out on me own. Matters not. The Golf gods see me as their plaything and torment me or make me smile depending what they feel like.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Rarely do it - though I play in most comps.

We have a Stableford that runs every Saturday morning and some in our Roll-Up play in it as well as in our roll-up. I rarely do. Would rather our groups played roll-up speed and gimme's etc rather than have one or more members of a group doing a card requiring holing out for points.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Totally agree with the OP. A few years ago I broke my left hand and spent the summer playing comps every week using only my right arm. Needless to say my handicap increased that year. #golfaddict

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Since I joined a club I've hardly played any social golf. It's either a club comp or a society outing - very little else.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you are not playing regular competitions, your handicap is not realistic. There are so many players that don't play comps when not playing well and end up unable to play to their handicap. If your handicap goes up, it then becomes easier to hit a good score as you have more shots as you feel more relaxed.

I was 14.4 at the start of the season and went up to 15 and gradually found it easier to score well. I then dropped to 12.3 late in the season and am finding it , not easy, but reasonably comfortable.