Formats of play you just don't like or can't play!

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
See post #84.

Never played greensomes with any requirement as to who plays how many 2nd shots (unlike T's scrambles where it's normal) - would just make it a Mickey Mouse format (handicapping already deals with the probability of who might play what when from a competitive perspective).

To reiterate, my problem with mixed greensomes is the frequent massive disparity over 2nd shot aims and objectives (recognising that there are many lady golfers who would feel the same way playing with me, but in general they don't enter such fun formats!) which leads to a constant stress over who plays 2nd when played competitively, and the associated issues.

A simple example - in the last match I played in this format I was constantly playing from 180/200 yds because I could get to the green (odds not high obviously) whilst my partner couldn't/wouldn't take on the alternative. Not fun. Not competitive.
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I don't quite understand what you mean?

I was replying to your post which you mentioned Foursomes. Did you actually mean greensomes?

It's the whole pre determined thing which I don't understand what you mean?

I'm sure it's not vitally important, I was just curious as to what you meant is all :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I don't quite understand what you mean?

I was replying to your post which you mentioned Foursomes. Did you actually mean greensomes?

It's the whole pre determined thing which I don't understand what you mean?

I'm sure it's not vitally important, I was just curious as to what you meant is all :)

To summarise from the beginnin

Foresomes is predetermined which avoids the fundamentally bad issues associated with miss-matched capabilities at greensomes....

Any foresomes fine, matched greensomes fine, miss matched greensomes has that extra element of discussion (lose word) that easily moves it into less than fun. Mixed greensomes is the most frequently miss matched.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gotcha! Now it makes sense.

I see where you are coming from now. I've hardly ever played greensomes and and never mixed greensomes so it's not something I've experienced.

Cheers