Do I not like that....

Leftitshort

Visit site
It's like a lot of things, it's handed down.

Why is a suit, shirt and tie considered professional in a business environment? No idea, but it is.

Why are polished shoes important? No idea, but they are.

Why should clothes look ironed? No idea but they should.

If you're a man, and I mean a proper man who knows what being a man means, you just don't wear a hat indoors. Maybe you do at home, but you just don't do it in a public environment, especially at a golf club that was hand-made from the earth by men who went through world wars over 100 years ago.
Golf clubs & church. Take off your hat 👍

PaulMdj

Visit site
Actually off the top of my head I can’t think of anywhere I have visited recently, that isn’t a golf club, that has had a dress code. That includes restaurants, hotels and sports clubs.
Certainly I can’t remember any establishment worrying about the colour and length of my hosiery and certainly anywhere that insisted that I showed my waistband/belt when engaging in a sport.
Plenty of restaurants have dress codes, you may not of come across them if you’ve been suitably dressed, Gordon Ramsey’s place in London, for example, does not allow sportswear, some Hotels do not allow shorts being worn for dinner.

Premier League Football Clubs have Dress Codes when visiting their hospitality suites.

Nightclubs will also often have a dress code.

You may or may not frequent any of these places, but that doesn’t mean the issue is unique to Golf Clubs.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Actually off the top of my head I can’t think of anywhere I have visited recently, that isn’t a golf club, that has had a dress code. That includes restaurants, hotels and sports clubs.
Certainly I can’t remember any establishment worrying about the colour and length of my hosiery and certainly anywhere that insisted that I showed my waistband/belt when engaging in a sport.
Long time since I've been to one but there used to be loads of night clubs that would have strict dress codes with bouncers to turn people away. The code was not always the same as a golf clubs code though.

D-S

Visit site
Plenty of restaurants have dress codes, you may not of come across them if you’ve been suitably dressed, Gordon Ramsey’s place in London, for example, does not allow sportswear, some Hotels do not allow shorts being worn for dinner.

Premier League Football Clubs have Dress Codes when visiting their hospitality suites.

You may or may not frequent any of these places, but that doesn’t mean the issue is unique to Golf Clubs.
Fair enough.
I’m just trying to imagine any of those establishments dictating the length or colour of someone socks and insisting your shirt is tucked in.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

I wouldn’t walk the dog in what some of those players are wearing.
But apparently it’s ok for the Ivy 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 35504

Come on mate, there's more to life than Aldi, Bingo and Travelodge... 😉

PaulMdj

Visit site
Fair enough.
I’m just trying to imagine any of those establishments dictating the length or colour of someone socks and insisting your shirt is tucked in.
I really do get were you are coming from, but the things you mention above are for playing the game, not going in the Clubhouse (both are ridiculous).

All I and others are saying is, if a Club still have these rules then either abide by them or play somewhere else.

One question, do people tuck their shirts in when wearing a jumper?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

D-S

Visit site
I really do get were you are coming from, but the things you mention above are for playing the game, not going in the Clubhouse (both are ridiculous).

All I and others are saying is, if a Club still have these rules then either abide by them or play somewhere else.

One question, do people tuck their shirts in when wearing a jumper?
And I get where you are coming from because I don’t contravene the codes but as per your post what on earth has the length and colour of socks got to do with ‘playing the game’ or whether my shirt is tucked in on the first tee. As regards the jumper comment, no idea I always have only shirt tucked in but don’t foist my taste on others.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually think Wetherspoons is quite a classy establishment & they’re more than happy to serve you wearing Crocs & a string vest.
Isn’t that right @Tashyboy ?
A woman at work got asked to leave a Wetherspoons locally, actually it was her husband, as the Spoons wanted to go upmarket and he was wearing joggers, against their dress code. They thought it was a wind up initially, Spoons with a dress code 🤣, but it was true. Now that was a walk of shame 😂.

D

Deleted member 35504

Ironically I am posting this from a 5 star hotel in Marrakech and am now on my way out to a Michelin starred restaurant- neither of which has a dress code.
I'd recommend the Harissa Chicken starter 🐥

Enjoy 👍

Pin-seeker

Visit site
A woman at work got asked to leave a Wetherspoons locally, actually it was her husband, as the Spoons wanted to go upmarket and he was wearing joggers, against their dress code. They thought it was a wind up initially, Spoons with a dress code 🤣, but it was true. Now that was a walk of shame 😂.
WOW!!!!
Imagine getting rejected from spoons because of what your wearing 😬😂
Definitely wouldn’t happen in Barnsley

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
WOW!!!!
Imagine getting rejected from spoons because of what your wearing 😬😂
Definitely wouldn’t happen in Barnsley
She couldn't keep a straight face when she told the story. A mixture of hysterical laughter and embarrassment at the time 😂.

Irony was, it was in a town, Blyth, which is not greatest. Maybe that's why they introduced it, they didn't want it to be a PJ's and dressing gown pub and knew they had to do something to stop it happening.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
She couldn't keep a straight face when she told the story. A mixture of hysterical laughter and embarrassment at the time 😂.

Irony was, it was in a town, Blyth, which is not greatest. Maybe that's why they introduced it, they didn't want it to be a PJ's and dressing gown pub and knew they had to do something to stop it happening.
I’d love one of my mates to be kicked out of spoons for dress code😂
That’s them done for life,if they ever try & rinse you “mate you got kicked out of spoons for dressing like a tramp” 😂😂😂😂