Do golfers need to read up on unconscious bias?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Context is everything, quite a lot of the time other details may be irrelevant, but help describe the situation.

As far as moderation is concerned, if we see something that is blatantly sexist or ageist then we deal with it

If you see it, you should report it ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As long as people are sticking to facts is it an issue?
The slowest golfer at mine is also the best (+3) and one of the youngest.
His PSR is out of the tour manual, and on the greens he is the slowest I have ever met.
Looks at his putt from all angles ,it’s got that bad that nobody wants to play with him.
Most seniors just get on with it.
There are slow players in all sections and genders ,but the club seem powerless to sort it out..
After several emails to members nothing has changed.
I do find it funny that explaining The facts of the situation leads to accusations of bias.
I do know people who when held up by men say nothing , but held up by women they moan for England.
So yes there is definitely bias from some but not all.

D

Deleted member 18588

What are you on about?? It's an inarguable fact of life that humans generally slow down when they get old! You have to be winding me up at this point? :LOL:
No!

But I am having great difficulty in getting you to see the difference between pace of walking and pace of play.

You could run between shots but if you then have to look for a ball, consult the GPS, have a PSR and ultimately stand around marking a card you are not going to be quick round the course.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The slowest golfer at mine is also the best (+3) and one of the youngest.
His PSR is out of the tour manual, and on the greens he is the slowest I have ever met.
Looks at his putt from all angles ,it’s got that bad that nobody wants to play with him.
Most seniors just get on with it.
There are slow players in all sections and genders ,but the club seem powerless to sort it out..
After several emails to members nothing has changed.
I do find it funny that explaining The facts of the situation leads to accusations of bias.
I do know people who when held up by men say nothing , but held up by women they moan for England.
So yes there is definitely bias from some but not all.
I agree 100%. So it makes no difference if the people are old, young, male, female or any other characteristic. If someone says the 'old ladies' in front of us were slow then as long as they were old and female it isn't unconscious bias, it's facts.

D

Deleted member 25172

Can we have a post about using the term balls and shaft being changed as they are phallic centric terms, please :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now we're getting down to real woke business. Re-education camps for all at the progressive Gulag University. :D

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yo
I agree in some part that there are older players who struggle physically on the course and can be very slow but I play in the vets league team and many of them are single figure golfers (not me) and will go round in under 80 very often, so they may well hit 20 shots less than much younger golfers and are just as quick between holes. A lot of the older golfers who are above single figures dont hit so far but pop the ball down the middle 3 times, chip on and putt out without a lot of the faffing around that similar handicapped younger players do. If a younger 18 handicapper hits wildly off the tee then they tend to be looking more often for their balls, something many vets do not do so much, and this can take a fair amount of time up

Your quiet right there I’m a shortish hitting senior and generally hit fairways, recently played a medal with 2 big hitting 30 -40 year olds they were very wayward off the tee I think it added 3/4 hour to our round.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yo

Your quiet right there I’m a shortish hitting senior and generally hit fairways, recently played a medal with 2 big hitting 30 -40 year olds they were very wayward off the tee I think it added 3/4 hour to our round.

In fact thinking more about that round there was one hole I hit it up the middle next young buck hit it miles left next young buck hit hit miles right, had to look for both their balls, that hole took awhile to finish

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ironically, I think you need to take the course on unconscious bias yourself, because you seem to display some. Also, that post looks a lot like moaning too.
it may look like moaning to you but if people stopped bunching various groups together and making generalisations about various protected characteristics then maybe the forum might be a more pleasant place without so much bickering.
Also, as a member of the Armed Forces, I have done more D & I, unconscious bias type courses than you could shake a stick at - especially in recent times!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
it may look like moaning to you but if people stopped bunching various groups together and making generalisations about various protected characteristics then maybe the forum might be a more pleasant place without so much bickering.
Also, as a member of the Armed Forces, I have done more D & I, unconscious bias type courses than you could shake a stick at - especially in recent times!

Worth noting that to avoid any unconscious bias towards those with sticks... one could also shake ones maracas (assuming one had a nice pair of maracas of course)
:sneaky:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No!

But I am having great difficulty in getting you to see the difference between pace of walking and pace of play.

You could run between shots but if you then have to look for a ball, consult the GPS, have a PSR and ultimately stand around marking a card you are not going to be quick round the course.
*Sigh*
It's just one possibility. If someone has chosen to mention it, then it's probably because it was a factor. End of.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In fact thinking more about that round there was one hole I hit it up the middle next young buck hit it miles left next young buck hit hit miles right, had to look for both their balls, that hole took awhile to finish
And this is the generation who have not had to reign it in because they may miss the club head?!
Brutally honest people are slow ( notice no gender or colour there) because they are rubbish or having a rubbish day and then you have the bunch who are playing “a major “ and then need to practice the 6ft putt they just missed ... the rules don’t help either, we all know it went into that bush but you cannot find it , just take a penalty and come back down the line and get on with it...
you don’t have to run around the course, but standing about discussing the cloud shapes/ committee decisions/ the number of grasses / the difference between a pigeon and a wood dove or why there are sea gulls 140 miles in land can be done whilst walking.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
You're ignoring the context of the thread. OP asked why do people mention that the group were senior (or female) when describing slow play. My answer was that they are just trying to help you picture the scene and the possible reasons for slowness - if they were senior then one possible reason is that they simply can't move as quick. I said there was obviously exceptions as well. It's that simple. I didn't come on here saying that all the old codgers are ruining golf with their slowness did I? Get a grip.
Absolute nonsense - pace of walking is rarely a reason for slow play - faffing about however is - and I see just as much faffing about from 20-50 somethings as I do from most older or female players.

Swango1980

Visit site
Age and ability are used to paint the picture, eg if I say there were two 85 year old ladies off 30, shuffling round with their electric trollies, and there were two 19 year old lads both off scratch, both carrying, we all know as golfers that 99.9% of the time the lads will get round the course quicker, hence it enhances and gives meaning to the story being told.

Saying that there was a 3 ball of white men or a 3 ball of Peruvian ladies adds nothing to the meaning, hence it would be irrelevant.
Those bloody Peruvians, don't get me started

Swango1980

Visit site
This seems to be just another case where someone is taking offence over something that is not worth being offended about. On any topic on slow play in this forum I have ever read, I've never really felt anyone has directly attributed slow play simply due to the age, sex or whatever other group the slow players belonged to. Any description of the slow players is simply to help paint the picture, and not really the main point. Perhaps if you look through this forum hard enough, maybe somebody has focused more on the seniors / females as a reason for the slow play, but I'm pretty sure if they did then there'd be plenty of criticism on that thread anyway.

When somebody shares their experiences of golfers, without description, then I'd normally visualise that group made up of middle aged men (or perhaps Senior men). However, if it was a bunch of juniors, Seniors, Women, then I don't see the issue in stating that.

What next? Somebody says "I was behind a group of really slow golfers today". Response "How dare you call golfers slow. Not all golfers are slow, just because you happened to behind a slow group. People that don't play golf can be slow as well. Car drivers are slow"

D

Deleted member 25172

Sounds like someone just done a "respecting diversity" course at work!!!

Not just one, but more than you can shake a stick at. Lovely to see that the tax money is being put to good use.