Distances effected by ball construction or temps?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thursdays distances -
Course Temps Around 8*
Ball - PTS Carry

6I - 165
7I - 150
8I - 140
9I - 125
PW/46* - 100

Mondays Distances
Course Temps 2/3*
DX3

6I 145/150
7I 145/140
8I 125/130
9i 105/110
pw/46* 85/90

So after last weeks mind boggle, yesterday i arrived at the course and the temps were pretty much identical to mondays, 2/3*, so i thought it would be the ideal time to check ad see how much difference the ball does make in colder conditions. Instead of the DX3's as normal, out come an old PTS carry, with a DT solo as a provision for the pocket.

By the time we had got to the 8th it was a full gone conclusion, ball construction is a major factor in cold conditions.

Our 8th is a tricky par 3, 155yards long slightly down hill. Last week on thursday i hit a 7i to the middle of the green from back on the whites so approx 160yards, i suppose the green is 20ft lower than the tee box so effectively from the backs its a realistic 150 yards. Given the fact that on monday in cold conditions i was hitting my 7i around 140, and my 6i around 145/150, yeserday should have been a 6i, but with 7 holes knowledge under my belt, out with the 7i and again, like clockwork bang into the heart of the green, not a contended for nearest the pin, but a 12 foot putt saw a nice par.

Anyway, as the round went on i constantly played to the yardage of the thursday round of 8* even though it was barly above 4 by the time we had finished. the only difference was i was back using cheaper 2 piece balls instead of the DX3. It seems this ball just doesnt like cold weather. yesturday the greens were stupidly soft after fridays rain, so the harder ball wasnt an issue.

so the testing is done, the distances are back and its confirmed. For me the DX3 is a waste of a good ball if teh conditions are below 10*. ill wait until teh warmer weather before i play a round back to back with a a DX3 and a PTS carry, to try and work out how warm it needs to be before i get the same distances from the DX3 as the PTS, but im guess the higher spec ball is a waste of time using before april/may.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am using Srixon Trispeed tour for the winter. I can't see the point of expensive balls when it is cold, on temporary greens, and there are leaves everywhere.

Hit a yellow PTS solo yesterday, which although new was about 5 years old, and the trispeed is definitely longer. They both sounded fairly soft when bounced on my driver, but then that could have been my wooly hat.

Will swap back to a better ball in the spring.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
we are still playing off full white tee's on normal greens. although if im honest i would have rathered the course be closed yesturday. Heavy rain friday all day saw very soft greens and a heavy overnight frost saturday made for some tricky condidtions

Frozen on top, but where you walked would crack the frost leaving nice big foot prints. We was the first group out and thought we had the best as greens wouldnt have been trampled, but all the best scores was in teh last group where the greens had chance to thow.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
one of the guys i played with yesterday was using noodle plus. he works in the pro shop there and plays off 13, he swears by them.

To be fair last year through being fussy i built up a nice box of some pretty decent balls, i'll just use these until the warmer weather arrives... cheap golf!

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
i have used a couple of yellow donnays, now ive found happen to be called 'extreme' haha, wel it does a job and i wudnt spend much more