What do you do when your game falls apart?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Same for me, turned the air blue when I shot over 100 in the medal on Monday, even managed a 10 on a par 4
On Tuesday, I remember thinking on the 18th " just hit the ***", oh I did, I topped it and it went 25 yards. I was still Effin and jeffin when I got to the ball. What did me was its a 500 yard plus par 5. I smashed me 3 wood twice and hit an 8 iron to within 10 ft and was putting for par 😳 Which I missed stopped 2" short down hill putt. I was woeful but shot 17 points on the back nine.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Happens to all of us. My focus always returns to just trying to make good contact with the ball and trust my brain and muscle memory to do the rest. Hopefully!

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I get a lesson.

Even if there isn't anything to 'fix' it lets you know it's all in your head and you can let it go. If you do 'fix' something, your head will feel better for applying a fix.

Win/win.

Wolf

Visit site
I'm more surprised at moment when my game comes together let alone falls apart.

But recently have under gone a complete swing overhaul to try and gain some consistency, it's very hit and miss at the moment but it's coming. I think key is trying to understand your own game and do what you can to get it round the course then go practice

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Funnily enough having struggled last weekend, I hit some balls last night. I was only working on making a good shoulder turn and having a smoother transition and turn onto the ball. The tempo was much better and quite happy at how it was going. The issue of course is that transition from practice ground to range and so I plan to play for the next few nights and see how it performs on the course with no second chances. I'm hoping if I can see it working in action I can go out with a degree of confidence and hopefully that'll drip into my game and a better score

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I committed myself to plenty of lessons this year after the terrible way last year turned.
Also bought some new bits and pieces. Retail helps.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Funnily enough having struggled last weekend, I hit some balls last night. I was only working on making a good shoulder turn and having a smoother transition and turn onto the ball. The tempo was much better and quite happy at how it was going. The issue of course is that transition from practice ground to range and so I plan to play for the next few nights and see how it performs on the course with no second chances. I'm hoping if I can see it working in action I can go out with a degree of confidence and hopefully that'll drip into my game and a better score

Did you get the on-course lesson I suggested a while back?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My route is always back hitting it 50 yards straight, then 75, then 100, then 125 and 150.

A par 500 yard par 5 can be played with four irons of 125 yards and a putt for par... Its not everyone's favourite way but if it gets your confidence back its a way to keep playing.

I go back to hitting my safe shots which are a 4 iron off the tee and a 7 from the fairway. Then let my chipping and putting make up the shots.

D

Deleted member 1147

If I'm mid-round and I'm having real problems I choose a shot type/shape and just concentrate on hitting that for the rest of the round. Last year I started a round and had no idea where the ball was going, so I decided to just hit punchy cut shots (almost like a stinger) for the rest of the round. A few birdies later I shot 74 and got a handicap cut.

If it's a general issue that's sneaked it's way into my game I'll see a pro.

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Recently my game has started to disintegrate. Last year I was an 18 handicap who was showing signs of improvement (apart from truly awful bunker play that cost me a few cuts and buffers). My driving was good, my irons were pleasantly long enough and high with a soft draw. My swing path was a consistent in-to-out.

This year I can't break 100. My soft draw has become a fade/slice/hook/top/fat/s***k. My swing path is now mostly out-to-in, but variable. My driver works sporadically. My fairway woods are topped more than they're sweet. My distances with irons used to be reasonably consistent. 8 iron was 145ish (Game Golf user for a couple of seasons so I know the 145 is pretty accurate). Now most are about 125 with a occasional 145 so I don't know whether to play for my current crap or my previous usual. At the moment when I step up to the ball I don't have a clue what's going to happen.

I had a lesson. My pro identified rather too much vertical movement on the backswing that is leading to a lot of inconsistencies, but I can't seem to fix it. Or get my swing path back in line either.

So what do you do when things go pear-shaped in your game?
laugh and get back to basics