Gap test

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For the first time In my golfing career I had a gap test and I must say I will have one every year it only cost me £20 and my results were;

Driver 248
FW 223
3HY 207
4HY 191
5I - 183
6I - 172
7I - 158
8I - 145
9I - 132
PW - 120
52º - 92
58º - 74

I, like most golfers overestimate how far I hit my clubs, has anyone else done so or plans to?

BTW: This was done indoors on GC2 Quad so they are dry numbers.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I used to do it on the practice ground years ago. I’m sceptical of doing it indoors, and with those things. It’s not real. Yes I’m a Luddite.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Gapped at 120y PW about 15y per club down to 4i but i use game golf which gives me my true yardage on course and it's a whole lot less than what the indoor yardage state, probably get 105/110 PW 10 yard difference down to 4i on course

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gapped at 120y PW about 15y per club down to 4i but i use game golf which gives me my true yardage on course and it's a whole lot less than what the indoor yardage state, probably get 105/110 PW 10 yard difference down to 4i on course

Will it depend on the range balls though?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am like Hobbit. I used to do it on a practice ground using the same make of ball I played with. Then they turned our practice ground in to a driving range.

Carry has always been more important to me because I am reasonable confident of judging when a ball will land and stop within x or land and run.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
GameGolf and similar products only give you total distances - not useless but they don't help when you have 160 to carry a lake and your GameGolf stat tells you your 6 iron goes 163 - your balls gonna get wet.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Aye true but its real time conditions I also know through gg what my yardage is on course, different lies, conditions, ect, if I'm hitting 163y and only need 160y I'll calculate what I need to do, IMO gapping in controlled conditions will never be the same as course conditions

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
GameGolf and similar products only give you total distances - not useless but they don't help when you have 160 to carry a lake and your GameGolf stat tells you your 6 iron goes 163 - your balls gonna get wet.

Game golf is guff.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting this... I have my lessons indoors and quite often after a few tweaks I end up nutting my shots and they fly miles. Big powerful, confident swings.
Cue, standing on a tee, fairway (or rough more likely) with different alignment angles and certainly less confident swings and I find the ball not getting remotely close to the distances I hit indoors.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For the first time In my golfing career I had a gap test and I must say I will have one every year it only cost me £20 and my results were;

Driver 248
FW 223
3HY 207
4HY 191
5I - 183
6I - 172
7I - 158
8I - 145
9I - 132
PW - 120
52º - 92
58º - 74

I, like most golfers overestimate how far I hit my clubs, has anyone else done so or plans to?

BTW: This was done indoors on GC2 Quad so they are dry numbers.

Think Id want to fill that gap between PW and GW. Good advert for 4 wedges those gaps

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Game golf is guff.

Why? I disagree, as most users, myself included, allow for the fact that their GG distances include roll and make adjustments. I would argue it is more accurate than a one off gap test as you can average data over a far longer period than, say, 10 balls hit from a mat.

In addition it gives you the distance you hit a specific shot. We have a long par 3 over water, almost always into wind. If I just used a gap test to gauge which club I would rarely carry the water. I accept the limitations of Game Golf, but certainly don't think its guff.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why? I disagree, as most users, myself included, allow for the fact that their GG distances include roll and make adjustments. I would argue it is more accurate than a one off gap test as you can average data over a far longer period than, say, 10 balls hit from a mat.

In addition it gives you the distance you hit a specific shot. We have a long par 3 over water, almost always into wind. If I just used a gap test to gauge which club I would rarely carry the water. I accept the limitations of Game Golf, but certainly don't think its guff.

Glad you make the most of it.

Personally I'd rather put the effort in on the practice range and measure off from there, add in a bit of Trackman work/lessons and you have a fairer end product from my experience.

You are right, guff was not the correct word and I apologise. "Limited" is a better phrase.

Incidentally if and when you change grips be very careful as the discs are very very flimsy and frail and snap easily.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I used to do it on the practice ground years ago. I’m sceptical of doing it indoors, and with those things. It’s not real. Yes I’m a Luddite.
You are not alone. I usually do it both ways on our practice ground (except for the woods and hybrid as it's a narrow landing zone going back) as it tends to play into the wind going out the conventional way and downwind on the way back. I tend to simply take the average of the best five