Distance vs accuracy.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Howdy, not to sure if I've asked this before but here goes anyway.

Ive got several sets of irons but 2 are of particular interest to me, one a set of 'Wilson Fatshafts' that I first started playing with 2-3yrs ago now the other a set of 'Nicklaus Polarity TR1' with 'Aldila NV' shafts in which are currently in the bag, now the issue I've got with the 'Nicklaus' is that they come up short where distance is concerned (like 20-25yds short) compared to the 'Fatties' but (there's always a but) the 'Nicklaus/Aldila' combination have a better shot dispersion not a massive difference but easily recognisable so this brings me to my question which would you opt for, option 'A' a tighter shot dispersion or option 'B' much greater distance.

Your thoughts and opinions would be most appreciated. :thup:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gosh, tough one to call.

The Wilsons will have typical loft massaging making them rather strong.

The point is.... if you take two clubs that go the same distance (6 vs 8 iron, for example) what happens then?

I have some irons which go 1 iron further than my tried and tested sets. I like them enough, but at the end of the day, the number on the bottom is kind of irrelevant.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Uhh, interesting, I hadn't thought of that, the two irons I put in a head to head were 7i's, I'll do a Nicklaus 7i vs Fattie 8i test tomorrow and post the results. :thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you're standing on the tee of a 150yd par 3, would you rather hit an 8 iron to 30' or a 6 iron to 20'?

This seems like a no brainer. What is the counter argument for taking the longer clubs?

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say it depends on how far you hit your nicklaus set. If you had a 150 yd shot with your nicklaus set in hand what would you use? 20 to 25 yds difference per iron is a big difference but if i could hit the nicklaus with a 7 iron it wouldnt interest me using a 9 in the wilsons. If that makes sense :D

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are they more accurate club for club or more accurate over the same distance? Ie are you more accurate at a 150 pin with the 6 iron from the Nicklaus or an 8 iron from the Wilsons? Because comparing say 7 iron v 7 iron would be unfair if the distances are so far out.

jeffroisere

Visit site
Id always go for distance you just then have to learn to get the accuracy as well which is easier said then done.Most better golfers hit the ball longer than an inferior player.As for not upsetting the wife when buying new golf gear just do what i do i tell her i traded in my old stuff and got a straight swap!!

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Getting around 130/140 with the Nicklaus but around the 160 Mark with the Fatties, like I said not a massive difference in dispersion but noticeable all the same, let's just say a larger more ragged group. :thup:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Id always go for distance you just then have to learn to get the accuracy as well which is easier said then done.Most better golfers hit the ball longer than an inferior player.As for not upsetting the wife when buying new golf gear just do what i do i tell her i traded in my old stuff and got a straight swap!!

Sorta what I was thinking, go for the 'Fatties' and hope the grouping gets better. :thup:

D

Deleted member 21258

Irons are all about accuracy and distance control for me.

Therefore it would all depend on how far you hit the Nicklaus irons. For instance if you hit this 7 iron 140-150 yards carry, then I would use that set for sure, as they have better accuracy only. Reason being is that you have enough length with other clubs in your bag to reach all greens etc

However if you find with the Nicklaus you are hitting a 6 iron 140 carry, then I think would go for the fat shafts, as distance is more of a problem than accuracy on the course I would have thought.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Irons are all about accuracy and distance control for me.

Therefore it would all depend on how far you hit the Nicklaus irons. For instance if you hit this 7 iron 140-150 yards carry, then I would use that set for sure, as they have better accuracy only. Reason being is that you have enough length with other clubs in your bag to reach all greens etc

However if you find with the Nicklaus you are hitting a 6 iron 140 carry, then I think would go for the fat shafts, as distance is more of a problem than accuracy on the course I would have thought.

The problem is the Nicklaus irons tend to draw me into trying a bit too hard which ends up with it all going a bit 'Pete Tong' we've got several holes that are a bit to short for my 18* hybrid but a touch to long for my 5i and one in particular is a real pain in the arse if you don't get it rite, I'm hoping that the extra yardage the Fatties provide will overcome this problem with the added bonus that there's also a 4i in the set, I know what the problem with the Nicklaus irons is it's that there's not enough weight in the heads for the shafts that are fitted (shafts were recommended for my swing speed and ball flight) so the only way out would be to fit different shafts which to be honest is more than I'm willing to chuck at em for the moment, think I'll just have to take the Fatties out for a spin and see what comes of it. :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wilson were notorious as cranking lofts up. Not sure where the Nicklaus ones would come in but for me, it's accuracy every time. I'm not a short hitter but I'm not fussed what number is on the bottom of the club as long as I can control where it is going

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yeah, it's a bit 'stuck between a rock and a hard place' not so much worried about the club numbers but I just feel that they're not allowing me to play at my full potential, keep coming up short which then means I've gotta take an extra shot that I wouldn't normally of had to take, seem to be stuck around the 85-90 mark on a good day 100+ when the weather ain't so good.😞