Distance Survey

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I completed it, it does start asking a bit about distance once it gets past the questions about your golfing experience and ability, although maybe more indirect than some would like.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I completed it, it does start asking a bit about distance once it gets past the questions about your golfing experience and ability, although maybe more indirect than some would like.

I get (& agree with) the profiling bit (although should be at the end or dispersed) but it was clear even from those first pages that someone was using this opportunity to gather other non-essential information with no relevance to distance, shame really

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I get (& agree with) the profiling bit (although should be at the end or dispersed) but it was clear even from those first pages that someone was using this opportunity to gather other non-essential information with no relevance to distance, shame really

I think that depends how you define non-essential, all the pre-questions are around golfing ability, club membership, how long you have played etc.. so I think it could be argued that they have some relevance to the topic in hand. The survey does ask non-essential questions at the end, like age, gender etc.. but you can choose not to answer these.

I'm not affiliated with the survey provider, R&A or any other party involved in the survey, but I don't think the data being asked for is that intrusive, especially compared to what most people give away on social media or via their browser.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that depends how you define non-essential, all the pre-questions are around golfing ability, club membership, how long you have played etc.. so I think it could be argued that they have some relevance to the topic in hand. The survey does ask non-essential questions at the end, like age, gender etc.. but you can choose not to answer these.

I'm not affiliated with the survey provider, R&A or any other party involved in the survey, but I don't think the data being asked for is that intrusive, especially compared to what most people give away on social media or via their browser.
Yeah, obviously it's just providing context for your answers. Surely you can see why "do you think distance is a problem in golf?" must be preceded by questions like "do you actually play golf?"

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some of the questions are too general..
Will courses need to be lengthened to cope with increase in distance?
Well, only for Pro or elite amateurs - 99% of players don't hit it 300 yards so the courses are fine...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I was hoping for a bit to put in my tuppence worth about Pro golf and didn't really get the chance.

Imo, the distance gains guys are making is mostly to do with the ball. Of course the clubs have an impact, and matching the right club to the right swing - but I'm not sure clubs change all that much, despite what the adverts say.

Sure they still have to hit it very hard and in the past there were only a very few players who could really over power a course. John Daly being one that springs to mind in the pre-Tiger era.
Now there are quite a few that can carry a ball well over 320 when they want to and obviously will get a bit of run in most conditions.

What I would like to see is modifications to the ball that don't really effect a short or average distance shots, but when shots are flying 300+ yards, the air friction is such that at that kind of speed it reigns it back a bit. I can't imagine this isn't possible given the precision engineering they can do. Gary Player has certainly talked about reigning the ball back - although I'm not sure if he actually knows how this would be done, or if he just wants to go back to an older style of ball.

And I also would have no problem with them doing this solely for professionals, if only so as not to add extra expense to amateurs. At the end of the day, it's a different game these guys are playing anyway so why keep up this pretence that we are all playing the same game?

The long hitters would still have an advantage, but it wouldn't be as big, and would still have an advantage with irons as they might be playing a 7 iron from the same spot a shorter hitter would be playing 6.

But what it would do is mean everyone is playing pretty much the same course and there is a premium on accuracy and 'normal' hazards are now in the eye of Bubba Watson and Rory McIlroy.

They were very quick to ban the square groove wedges that Padraig Harrington reckoned saved him a shot to a shot and a half per round. So why not rule on the ball too?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I seem to recall a question saying 'what are your general thoughts on distance in golf' with a blank box to type in?

There was a few boxes, but the questions never fitted the points I was wanting to make and I thought there would be a blank space at the end for general musings.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I completed it yesterday most of the questions were pretty relevant and I did get a chance to add my own comments near the end.

As a long term golfer my iron yardage has dropped by about 40 yards but I have not seen the same loss of distance, proportionately, in the 'woods' which has to be down to improvements in clubs and balls.