Distance gains from Balls

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have any of you guys ever switched to a different ball brand because it gives you more distance?
Personally I choose my balls on how they feel off the putter and how they tend to spin on the greens in dry conditions.
I am just wondering if many club golfers will choose a ball for the distance gains it gives them and if they have tested balls alongside each other?
If so, have they tested them on launch monitors etc and seen noticeable distance gains , say 5yds + that have made them opt for the longer ball?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
if you lined up all the commonly used golf balls and hit them with a robot the difference wouldn't be much. even titlest claim there is only 4 yards between their longest and shortest ball

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've changed to a softer ball for the winter and hitting summer yardages that I hit with a hard ball so in that example yes I am. In the summee would I? No probably not as I prefer the Prov1x around and on the greens.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saw something yesterday that suggested Sergio has gained about ten yards this year by switching to Chrome Soft. But he's changed clubs too so not sure how scientific that was!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
no, I don’t believe certain balls go further than others. Unless comparing a 10 year old ball to today’s balls.
Though I will change balls due to conditions. So if it’s rained or it’s soggy I’ll play a 2 piece ball.
If it’s bone dry I’ll play pro v1 as those few extra 100 rpms might make a difference.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bet if you put certain golfers with certain balls you could get a much wider range didtances.

Pair up a super soft ball with a slow swinger hitting mostly woods and hybrids and then try a distance ball. Extremes like this are probably needed to see something noticeable.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
if you lined up all the commonly used golf balls and hit them with a robot the difference wouldn't be much. even titlest claim there is only 4 yards between their longest and shortest ball

I thought this would most likely be the case.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would certainly say that choosing a ball based upon swing speed is important with some manufacturers balls.

A few years ago I bought a mixed pack of Nike One Tours and Nike One Tour D and I could definitely see a difference, up to 10 yards with irons.

Similarly these days I choose B330rxs over B330s

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My old ball of choice was Srixon soft feel. However last year I wona box of Tm Burner softs. Gave them a go in friendly knocks and all of a sudden I was firing over the back of greens. Did some comparisons off the tee and they are going way further with the woods as well, but they still feel good off the putter so these have become my no.1 ball. Had a few pro v1s (pick ups) they're obviously great balls but at my level I can't justify spending that much on a golf ball that I might lose after one hit!

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure for most handicap will notice a difference as the strike is inconsistent. I use the AD333 tour at the moment. Is it longer than a Pro V? Maybe but not sure I can prove it. I do find a premium ball does perform better on the firmer summer greens and would swap back then.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Club golfers do not hit the ball consistently enough to notice any difference.

Chaddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had a ball fitting just before last season and the TP5X was about 10 yards further than the competition on like for like swings!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I disagree. The TM ball is at least a club longer than the srixon for me, even with my shoddy ball striking. Around the greens I would agree though, anyone above single figures just doesn't generate enough backspin to see any real difference in one ball to the next

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve not noticed any distance increases ball vs ball on average. I had a Bridgestone ball fitting, which came out on average longer than a prov1 over 5 shots on each, but the prov1 had the longest and shortest shot. The shortest being a bad strike, & if this was discounted there was approx 2 yards between them

There are balls I won’t play with based on feels though. Anything Mizuno and anything volvik. Hate em

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve not noticed any distance increases ball vs ball on average. I had a Bridgestone ball fitting, which came out on average longer than a prov1 over 5 shots on each, but the prov1 had the longest and shortest shot. The shortest being a bad strike, & if this was discounted there was approx 2 yards between them

There are balls I won’t play with based on feels though. Anything Mizuno and anything volvik. Hate em

I agree, I play Pro v or Vice but find the "soft" balls feel like they boing off the club face and then I feel my distance control is unpredictable.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I disagree. The TM ball is at least a club longer than the srixon for me, even with my shoddy ball striking. Around the greens I would agree though, anyone above single figures just doesn't generate enough backspin to see any real difference in one ball to the next

I disagree that you disagree Paul :D

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Wouldnt that be like saying club golfers wouldnt notice any difference with different clubs?
After all its just another piece of equipment. There must be some club golfers that hit the ball consistently 'enough' to see a difference if there is any?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wouldnt that be like saying club golfers wouldnt notice any difference with different clubs?
After all its just another piece of equipment. There must be some club golfers that hit the ball consistently 'enough' to see a difference if there is any?
I reckon the difference is down to feel & feel is subjective. Any bad shot I hit with a volvik was the balls fault because I hated the way it felt, the premium s4 not those neon rocks.
The difference in equipment may also be subjective as measureable spin rates are insignificant compared to strike. (According to MC ;))