Disqualification..Wrong Net Score???

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly, Ethan.

The first time you submit a wining scorecard without checking and signing it you are simultaneously penalised and educated.

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
Bit harsh though don't you think and not in the spirit of the game?
If a card was handed to me and not signed I would tell the competitor he's forgotten to sign it. Anyone that doesn't do this is, I'm afraid, suffering from length in a certain appendage!

Obviously if someone has breached the rules knowingly then it will be dealt with.

CK

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit harsh though don't you think and not in the spirit of the game?
If a card was handed to me and not signed I would tell the competitor he's forgotten to sign it. Anyone that doesn't do this is, I'm afraid, suffering from length in a certain appendage!

Obviously if someone has breached the rules knowingly then it will be dealt with.

CK

If a player hands in an unsigned card, they are DQ'd. If you blithely accept that card and allow them to sign it after the fact, you are cheating as well. Some Comp Secs think they have the right to amend the Rules of Golf. They don't. You don't.

Now, the Committee, as a whole, may waive a DQ, but you can't do so unilaterally. You must also have grounds to do so. There are numerous decisions about signing cards. 'I forgot' is unlikely to be a convincing argument.

As for appendage length, some Comp Secs think that holding this office enhances their length. It doesn't. Quite the opposite in fact, as some are clearly compensating for a shortcoming.

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
So 100% of you would disqualify someone if they gave you their card and it wasn't signed? Surely the gentleman in you would say something first?

Maybe you operate your competitions differently? At the end of the round cards get handed to either the H/C sec or myself and we enter them onto the system so everyone can see where they stand in the clubhouse. If a card is handed to me unsigned then I remind the competitor. Maybe I should be one of those Competition Secretaries that you speak of?

As a committee, we are all agreed on this approach.

Putting a card in the box after a medal round (As these are played whenever on medal day) and not being signed is totally different, a non-signed card is not a card.

I am merely saying it's the gentlemanly thing to do and I hope that other people do agree or I have got this game totally wrong.

CK:rolleyes:

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
CK- I'm with you on this. Surely a bit of discretion is called for.

Should the Policeman who stops you for a blown indicator bulb impond your car as unsafe or suggest that it would be a good idea to get yourself down to the nearest garage for a new one.

Is golf a welcoming and inclusive sport?

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
CK- I'm with you on this. Surely a bit of discretion is called for.

Should the Policeman who stops you for a blown indicator bulb impond your car as unsafe or suggest that it would be a good idea to get yourself down to the nearest garage for a new one.

Is golf a welcoming and inclusive sport?

Ooo I wish I'd thought of that analogy!

Cheers chap :cheers:

CK

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
On a complete tangent and nothing to do with some golf club committees and those who serve on them.........

I wonder what traffic wardens do when they retire? :eek: :confused:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
But it isn't a question of what is gentlemanly or not, nor whether golf is inclusive or not. The policeman analogy is also a spurious one as the rules under which traffic police operate allow a degree of discretion and judgement to be taken into account.

It would be very gentlemanly to say to a player, 'sorry old chap, I coughed on your backswing and you snapped it OOB, please play another one', but you can't. The Rules are there to be followed, and the Committee does not have unlimited discretion to change the Rules of Golf. Plenty of Comp Secs have a pretty tenuous knowledge of the Rules, and many wrongly think that they can simply amend one and make it a 'local rule'.

Some of the Rules may be harsh, unfair, illogical or open to abuse, but that is unfortunate and can't be changed arbitrarily.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
All rules are open to interpretation old chap.
When does the card not signed actually come into effect?

Have a butchers at this, I would welcome your interpretation...
http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-A...cisionId=06704120-F7B8-4285-AEC7-7F1750DA4742

CK

I already referred to this. Note that it says The Committee must make the decision. I specifically said that you, as an individual Committee member, can't.

In terms of timing, a card is handed in once submitted to the Committee, so that could be by being given to the pro or dropped in the box. That doesn't mean once the Committee get their hands on it.

These cases are sometimes overturned by Committees who may be well intentioned but do not know the Rules.

sJoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OK guys going back to my original thread..I objected to our disqualification quoting the relevant rule no's and the disqualification has been cancelled and our points awarded..Since this is an ongoing winter league comp. we have now moved 4 places up the "leaderboard"..Result..So thanks to all of you for your help..
Merry Xmas and a Happy New Golfing Year to you all