Disappointing but not surprising

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Yup. Had a message from o2 saying that I would get a roaming limit of 25GB a month but if I used that then its £3.50 per GB.

As soon as we left the EU, I was expecting this to happen. I think it will be no freebie as soon as we are actually allowed to travel....

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not a surprise.

Personally I don't really care as in the grand scheme of things its not a lot of money when considering the cost of a holiday.

The people it will have the biggest impact on are those who spend a few months a year in Spain, or visit such places regularly.
I can already hear my FiL complaining. And will have less than zero sympathy.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I go abroad on holiday I only use my phone when there is wifi available otherwise I just use it for the camera. Got caught out once, never again. But then again I am old and don't understand most things about mobiles.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
anyone that uses 25gb on holiday, needs a better holiday.

I am a heavy user I reckon, and I have a 10GB a month contract and come nowhere near to using it. A non-story to fire up the Brexit lot.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
25GB will get you:

160 hours of music streaming
25 movie downloads in SD
80 hours of Skype video calls
10,000 emails...

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
anyone that uses 25gb on holiday, needs a better holiday.

I am a heavy user I reckon, and I have a 10GB a month contract and come nowhere near to using it. A non-story to fire up the Brexit lot.
EE in the story are charging £2 per day if you want to use roaming. Not a lot I agree, but and additiional cost non the less.
There will those who fall foul and run up large bills (Hopefuly no more than £50)

The 25GB is a fair use limit that o2 are putting, most will have had one anyway.

Lets see what the other operators do.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My phone, along with my watch, went into the safe on arrival and came out the night before we came home. Even now, my phone is rarely with me, and is often found with a flat battery.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I fully expected to be charged for roaming once we left the EU. IMO it's a good excuse for the phone companies to make more money without being constrained by the rules of the EU.
However, if I am on holiday abroad, I do not use my phone heavily. I may use it to browse to check up on news, sport, etc but most places now offer WiFi for free but for me my holiday is for relaxing. Not browsing the phone.
It's like watching a couple go out together to a restaurant and then they just sit there on their phones. We have a rule that if we're out, the phones stay in our pocket.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup. Had a message from o2 saying that I would get a roaming limit of 25GB a month but if I used that then its £3.50 per GB.

As soon as we left the EU, I was expecting this to happen. I think it will be no freebie as soon as we are actually allowed to travel....

I read my message from O2 as being that i will still get unlimited calls & texts whilst abroad (in EU). And that in Europe, if your current UK data limit is 25GB or above, data will be capped at 25GB. If your existing limit is less than 25GB, then it stays at your current limit. In either case, you get charged handsomely if you go over your limit. For me, no issue. Send few text messages, make even fewer calls and never get near my 8GB of data.. So no change.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The roaming thing happens behind the scenes to an extent. I was on holiday in Croatia a few years ago, EU country, and did a day trip to Montenegro, not an eu country. I took my phone with me to take pictures but didn't use it in any other way. Next bill came through and I'd been charged for roaming for that day. The phone company refunded the amount when I queried it, they didn't have to, and explained how the phone searches and links even when not in use. Lesson learned.

Next time we did a similar trip I went into settings and turned roaming off.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Since my phone is a work tool, its switched off at the airport flying out, and switched on after baggage claimed. I use a wifi only tablet for personal email contact and browsing on the lounger. Holiday is just that, not an extension of my work life:)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It’s only for new customers for EE.

I mean if I was a cynic, I’d say they’ll all do some thing similar. Then bump general Deals 5 or 10% on existing contracts so that you’re paying for it one way or another.