Different balls for the pros

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Listening to the the commentary a minute ago

Are you for or against the pros using a different ball to amateurs to curb the distance they hit.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Different balls (much spinnier, like balata) reduced MOI and Coefficient drivers and 3w, 10 clubs, bendy shafts (no xxx flex junk), max loft 56, for me.

Reasons. Bring back shot making. It's what golf should be about. Put some more golfing skill into it, less gym work.

Humpy

Visit site
I see no reason why the Tours couldn't introduce a ball that only goes an certain distance. This could change depending on the course being played. For instance, an older, shorter course which has disappeared from the Tours could come back into circulation using a ball that performed at, say, 75% of a current ball.

Granted there are lot of issues and considerations but it must be doable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why? It's about spec, not manufacturer.
Would be nice but will never happen. One manufacturer offered the contract and what happens to the others. They won't take the decision well/lightly and where does it leave them apart from supply to the hackers around the world, some of who buy the ball because their favourite player uses it, whether that's right for them or not

D

Deleted member 25172

Tighter fairway and actual penalising rough 300 yards and in from tee.

Want to go long? Sure, better be accurate then.

Problem solved, in my opinion.

So no, not for having different equipment. The answers is readily available (see above) if the tours want to.

D

Deleted member 25172

Why would you discriminate against the best ball strikers?

It’s an option. Could skip 300 yards and in and apply it throughout instead to encourage accuracy. I’d see that as a better option than to have different equipment.

D

Deleted member 25172

Why would you restrict the longest and most exciting players then?

I said in my reply that another option could be to narrow it down throughout then instead to promote accuracy which would be same for all.

D

Deleted member 18588

Why would you discriminate against the best ball strikers?
In what way would it be discriminatory?

If they miss sufficient fairways for their score to suffer then they clearly are not the best ball strikers.

If you are saying that only the bombers are exciting to watch then I would suggest that the televised Long Drive comps would be more for you.

Personally I would rather watch paint dry.

Mandofred

Visit site
So the only "exciting" players in the Premier league only take shots from 30+ yards? The only good cricket players just hit for 6? Etc etc etc

What is more exciting.....hitting the ball 330 yards, or nailing a 150 yard shot to within 5 feet? I'd say the latter.

They have long drive contests...they are what they are.

Grow the grass.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just play all tour events on par 3 courses, job done ?