Different balls for the pros

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
To me, it's about restoring the game to how it used to be played. Resurrecting older, more interesting layouts, that aren't 8000 yards long. Just narrowing the fairways does zip, if the average par 4 is over 500 yards.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simple stuff really, standard ball design, the same for all pros. Current companies can make and brand it how they like but its still the standard ball underneath.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To me, it's about restoring the game to how it used to be played. Resurrecting older, more interesting layouts, that aren't 8000 yards long. Just narrowing the fairways does zip, if the average par 4 is over 500 yards.
Sadly most of the American layouts seem to be setup as resort style courses without penal rough. Unlikely the PGA Tour will change this as they want a birdie fest.

Yes a tighter course would take the driver out of many players hands on certain holes (ie Ryder Cup setup in Paris) but this won't be consistently sanctioned.

As far as getting the balls slugged - the manufacturers will fight it tooth and nail.

Diamond

Visit site
If we want to watch amateurs play maybe we should have county Golf live on tv.

Personally I want to watch the Seves, Tigers and brysons

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Sadly most of the American layouts seem to be setup as resort style courses without penal rough.
I don't know for sure but would imagine that most courses used by the tour make most of their revenue from non-elite players paying green fees throughout the rest of the year. If you grow penal rough for the tour events, that would put off those visitors for the few weeks preceding the event. So I can't see any prospect of stopping the bombers doing their thing. They will continue to smash their drives wildly left & right and get away with it.

Surely the overwhelming advantage of a restricted ball for the pros is that you don't need to keep making courses longer and longer.

Diamond

Visit site
Could you ban drivers and woods? Maybe that would be easier than everyone playing the same ball. Maybe make pros have a maximum of 12 clubs and no driver.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The R&A did a ball test with our roll up a few years ago as we had a couple of guys who where at that time on the rules com at the R&A. it was avery soft ball that only really effected big hitteres they lost maybe 10 to 20 percent, i suspect that was aimed at all golfers as it made little diff if you were average club head speed.

Also i think there was a pro comp that used a restricted ball Volvick i think it was called, not sure its anything to do with the current ball maker

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have felt for a long time that the premium for pro golf has to move from distance back to accuracy.
We had a young pro attached years ago who went ot the US to try. He said that their main focus is length and more length. They didn't care about accuracy because no matter where they put the ball, they would have a shot and probably a decent lie. If that is the mindset, you have to bring them back with demands for accuracy. Just because the current balls can fly the 345 that BdC has been banging it lately. it doesnt mean they are going to try and bang it that far if the short stuff is only 15 yds wide at that point with a probably crap lie if they aren't on it.
I also think amateurs would still play those courses after and in the run up to those events. just as they do now and try to putt on greens running at 13/14 and 15 on the meter.

D

Deleted member 18588

If we want to watch amateurs play maybe we should have county Golf live on tv.

Personally I want to watch the Seves, Tigers and brysons
The top players would still be the same.

The game at that level would, however, be less one-dimensional with a premium placed upon accuracy and strategy.

Long Drive comps could still be held separately for those interested in such things.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So the only "exciting" players in the Premier league only take shots from 30+ yards? The only good cricket players just hit for 6? Etc etc etc

What is more exciting.....hitting the ball 330 yards, or nailing a 150 yard shot to within 5 feet? I'd say the latter.

They have long drive contests...they are what they are.

Grow the grass.

Difference is, both of those sports don’t see success in those traits mentioned and try to limit them by changing the rules e.g. can’t score outside the box, or make the ball a brick so they can’t hit it as far.

We are getting to a potential issue with golf but I don’t think winners are all about power, there’s about 60 yds difference in top 15 average driving distance this week (although 300 is getting more standard) and every power player still needs great short game and iron play, otherwise someone like DJ wouldn’t have missed the cut.

I’d prefer to see a little more danger for very wide shots no matter the distance, but I struggle with the idea of penalising players who have effectively managed to become the best at certain skills through hard work and skill.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Against. People like Nick Faldo continually moaning about the ball having to be rolled back is just a plea for attention in my eyes.
It doesn’t matter what ball you give them they will adapt. Do you think Rory will struggle if he’s left with more 3 woods into greens? The field will just spend more time practicing longer irons and fairway woods.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure I need to worry about what ball the pros are using. my pga tour days are yet to start :) - the guys are class as said it really doesn't matter what balls they use.

Vice pro plus has added 10 yrds to my irons, tough school distance control

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's completely the opposite to "the same for all".
It's directly inhibiting the most exciting, longest hitters.
Someone hitting a ball 340+ yards on a par 5 and then hitting a wedge in is not exciting, completely the opposite in my opinion.
Seve was exciting to watch , Leftie in his prime similar because they could play all sorts of shots not just one trick ponies off the tee

D

Deleted member 3432

Take the ball back, lets see a test of long iron play which means having to find the fairway and get rid of 60 degree wedges.

Lets see some flair in the game not just bomb and gouge.

The game at the top is so one dimentional its boring in the extreme.

Grizzly

Visit site
I don't have an issue with how far the top Pros can hit the ball - there is a lot of skill and a lot of hours both in the gym and on the range to get to that point.

The biggest issue for me is that too many courses on top facilitate those players being able to bomb it with impugnity by having very little in the way of punishing rough, tight fairways etc so the penalty doesn't really exist. The best courses should have rough that makes it difficult for even the best players to consistently hit a full shot out. That would soon reign the Pros in.

Grizzly

Visit site
Also, referencing Colonial at present - Rich Beem said on comms that they more or less had to water the greens down because the heat would mean they'd lose them otherwise. You know what, I reckon it'd be entertaining if they didn't make it so easy and let the greens go a bit!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have an issue with how far the top Pros can hit the ball - there is a lot of skill and a lot of hours both in the gym and on the range to get to that point.

The biggest issue for me is that too many courses on top facilitate those players being able to bomb it with impugnity by having very little in the way of punishing rough, tight fairways etc so the penalty doesn't really exist. The best courses should have rough that makes it difficult for even the best players to consistently hit a full shot out. That would soon reign the Pros in.

Excellent. And I'd add in making the Pros go find their own ball instead on having spotters. No one can see a golf ball at 250+ yards.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Take the ball back, lets see a test of long iron play which means having to find the fairway and get rid of 60 degree wedges.

Lets see some flair in the game not just bomb and gouge.

The game at the top is so one dimentional its boring in the extreme.
That applies to pretty much any 'non-combatitive' sport - motor racing for example - though Golf is probably the most affected. General improvements in fitness, equipment ot technique in the 'combatitive' sports likes of Football, Rugby, Tennis etc are generally countered by improvements by 'the other side'.
Personally, I don't have a huge issue with the significantly greater distances top Pros are now capable of - apart from the additional real estate requirement which makes 'normal' courses spend significantly more as well.

Last edited: