Declaring a ball unplayable

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
whats the exact rule .... cos was playing on Thursday and my partner wanted to declare unplayable , sad no cos he cud go backwards ..... i now think may be wrong can some1 clear the unplayable rule up for me :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Rule 28.

The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not really, why would you take a 1 shot penalty when you dont need to?

if this wasnt the rule, whio would decide on what is playable and what isnt?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been in severely bad rough where I think I may hack it out only to duff 3 feet forward into more crap rough, surely its better to deem unplayable, take a drop and get it near or on the green/fairway

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have been in severely bad rough where I think I may hack it out only to duff 3 feet forward into more crap rough, surely its better to deem unplayable, take a drop and get it near or on the green/fairway

that is one of the reasons for the rule

Chris

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

As long as you can get it nearer the short stuff - might be better to reply the original shot.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amazing how many people don't know this rule. I wonder how many people this lack of knowledge effects during a medal.

Playing a medal and you're in long grass under a bush and it's just possible you can hit the ball - what to do?
Look at the possibilities.
1. If you declare it unplayable, take a penalty drop, play your next shot and you're back on track and have dropped one shot.
2. You have a hopeful hack at it, it stays in the long grass and you have exactly the same decision - but another shot gone.
Play the percentage game. Only you can decide if it's unplayable.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I covered this a while ago to clarify things for my four ball after using it myself to get out from under a bush and being questioned on it. Had to use it again yesterday and managed to save a point where I'd probably have put a blob.

http://race2birchwood.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/rule-28-ball-unplayable/

No contradiction to Rule 13-1
The ball must be played as it lies, except as otherwise provided in the Rules.

Sundance

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is very useful information thanks. If only I had known this before the weekend. I scored a 7 on one of our par 3's in the medal yesterday. Three of those shots were trying to hack the ball out of severe rough. I had hit a provisonal and found the green with it. In this instance could I have declared my first ball unplayable and taken the provisional?

danbaylis

Club Champion
Visit site
This is very useful information thanks. If only I had known this before the weekend. I scored a 7 on one of our par 3's in the medal yesterday. Three of those shots were trying to hack the ball out of severe rough. I had hit a provisonal and found the green with it. In this instance could I have declared my first ball unplayable and taken the provisional?

If you find the first ball then that becomes the in-play ball, the provy is dead irrelevant of where it went (even if its 2 inches from the pin). If you had stuck your provy on the green and the first one looks very iffy, you need to say its dead/lost and not look for it, even if it is a one hit wonder spanking new Pro V1! For example if you found your 1st one and it was out of bounds you would have to go back to the tee and play 3 from there.

Just need to use your common sense and take your medicine if you hit a cracking provy.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you had stuck your provy on the green and the first one looks very iffy, you need to say its dead/lost and not look for it,

Can you declare a ball as lost?

You can't declare it lost per se, but you can render it lost by playing another ball without properly declaring it as a provisional, or by playing your provisional from nearer the hole, but only before the original is found.

Otherwise, if you are standing by the provisional, and only 4 mins and 59 seconds have elapsed and someone says "Was it a Titleist 3 with a red dot...?", you have to play it.

Sundance

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you find the first ball then that becomes the in-play ball, the provy is dead irrelevant of where it went (even if its 2 inches from the pin). If you had stuck your provy on the green and the first one looks very iffy, you need to say its dead/lost and not look for it, even if it is a one hit wonder spanking new Pro V1! For example if you found your 1st one and it was out of bounds you would have to go back to the tee and play 3 from there.

Just need to use your common sense and take your medicine if you hit a cracking provy.

Thanks. So my provisional was out of the question once I found the first one. But I could have declared that first one unplayable once I found it and taken a penalty drop as far back as I like in line with where it went in and the hole?

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks. So my provisional was out of the question once I found the first one. But I could have declared that first one unplayable once I found it and taken a penalty drop as far back as I like in line with where it went in and the hole?

Rule 28. Ball Unplayable
The player may declare his ball unplayable at any place on the course except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable. If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he shall, under penalty of one stroke:

a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole; or

c. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped. If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Rule.

cheezburga

Club Champion
Visit site

If the thing is out of bounds, then you don't need to go back - you can continue with the provisional. Suspecting that it went out of bounds is one of the reasons for playing a provisional.