David Law

D

Deleted member 15344

Winning these early season comps where the big names don’t play is perfect for new guys on tour to help keep their card - it’s how many of the top names get started , stunning shot on 18 and the putt was excellent - brilliant way to win on tour

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just read that Law called a penalty on himself on the 9th hole yesterday too.

Brilliant win and brilliant spirit too.

👏👏👏

Wolf

Visit site
I love seeing the new guys winning events rather than always big names, good to see him breakthrough and heard about the penalty call to so he done this in a real classy fashion.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Law is 27, so he's obviously taken his time to progress through the ranks.

Maybe no great surprise that he has taken his chance at the 1st time of asking given his age and the influence of Paul Lawrie. Really think Paul could be a great factor for golfers from Aberdeen and we could see a number of guys from his foundation make decent careers on tour over the next decade.

That should give Law a bit of leeway with his status and he will be able to plan his schedule out now, rather than having to play pretty much every week he is exempt and worrying about if he will get in to some of the bigger events.

A lot was made about the number of Scots who have found their way onto the tour this season and I for one was sceptical about this heralding a 'new dawn' for Scottish Tour Pros. Obviously early days, but bodes well with reasonable starts made by Grant Forrest and Bob McIntyre - as well as experienced campaigners David Drysdale and Scott Jamieon.

Lets hope Scottish golf fans can soon be tuning into Tour events each week and seeing our guys in contention.

Last edited:

micklson66

Visit site
Fantastic win. Credit also to Paul Lawrie who seems to have done a lot to help the lad.
Think Lawrie does a lot of good work to help these young lads

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Credit to Paul Lawrie, he has encouraged the youth of all abilities in the Aberdeenshire area to play golf. Good to see a Scottish winner and hopefully the security this win gives him will allow him to play his best golf. Credit also to Paul's wife who did a lot of work for the foundation, a hard working lady who you often see at their courses.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Obviously early days, but bodes well with reasonable starts made by Grant Forrest...
Having been a member of his 'attachment', I've 'followed' Forrest for a while. Somewhat frustrating to see such talent (and results) as an amateur not break through sooner. Perhaps a big year following a fairly long 'apprenticeship'. The confidence of a couple of big results might be all that's needed to launch a stellar career.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Having been a member of his 'attachment', I've 'followed' Forrest for a while. Somewhat frustrating to see such talent (and results) as an amateur not break through sooner. Perhaps a big year following a fairly long 'apprenticeship'. The confidence of a couple of big results might be all that's needed to launch a stellar career.

Clearly players all develop at their own pace, and golf is certainly a sport where you can 'develop' for a long time until well into your 30s. But ultimately there is very little margin for error and in years passed a good amateur career was almost an automatic conversion to comfortable touring pro. That's no longer the case.

I personally feel that Scottish Golf has a real problem developing players, and has done for a long time. Ireland and England seem to get guys to elite level far more readily - I'm sure with the same or lesser resource per golfer. You'd be hard pushed to name the last home grown Scottish Golfer that was a real top player. There's plenty of guys that stay on tour each year, but someone really competing for big events in the top 50 of the world? Lawrie and Gallagher are probably the only guys who have been up there. Laird and Knox also - but they are products of the US college system and have probably had the careers they've had because they made the decision to move away.

It's a very worrying record when you look at it objectively. Plenty of guys make it onto the tour for a year or two, but when it comes to it, there is not the killer instinct in enough of them.

I'm not sure if it's 'too easy' for the Scottish Golfers. They get a base level of funding, put in front of a few sponsors and go on tour with a saltire on their bag. I just get the feeling that the likes of Danny Willett, Tyrell Hatton, Shane Lowry had to forge their own path a bit more robustly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The US College system (Forrest was at Uni of San Diego,which is how he qualified for 2014 Palmer Cup that also included Paul Dunne, Ricardo Gouveia, Jon Rahm, Ollie Schneiderjans and Bryson DeChambeau) seems to be have been the way to go - just as it has been for Tennis for a long time!

Not sure what Paul Lawrie does that's different to what has been done in the past - but long may it continue (perhaps despite Scottish Golf!). But the pretty much constant competition against 'equals' of the College system seems to produce the drive that produce winners! That seems to eliminate the 'too easy' concept.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The US College system (Forrest was at Uni of San Diego,which is how he qualified for 2014 Palmer Cup that also included Paul Dunne, Ricardo Gouveia, Jon Rahm, Ollie Schneiderjans and Bryson DeChambeau) seems to be have been the way to go - just as it has been for Tennis for a long time!

Not sure what Paul Lawrie does that's different to what has been done in the past - but long may it continue (perhaps despite Scottish Golf!). But the pretty much constant competition against 'equals' of the College system seems to produce the drive that produce winners! That seems to eliminate the 'too easy' concept.

I think Paul is just a canny old fox. He made a living on tour and worked out how to stay on tour and take your opportunities when they arise.

I read his book, where he was very critical of youngsters playing the game and not thinking their way around the course, not knowing their yardages and not spending enough time on their short game.

He is also very hard working and a grounded guy and rarely gets ahead of himself, which I think will rub off on the youngsters.