David Cameron

D

Deleted member 15344

Or indeed Great Britain as that is what we are Great with a rich history to be proud of, one that I think needs celebrating not destroying. We are unique and should stay that way.

Totally agree :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Why is that comedy gold ? It's very relevant and current and far more important right now with people's homes at risk

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
and how much dredging was done and finance given when the last government was in?

Sweet FA mate that's why they continue to get worse year on year. Something has to be done as it will keep happening on a grander scale. The gov was warned 6 months ago about the risk in Somerset and still did naff all. By the way I am a Tory voter so don't think this post or the one you quote is an anti Cameron rant. It is an anti gov rant over the last 15 years or so.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What can he or anyone do about the floods. There is no plug to pull out.

Exactly my point.

If people buy cheap houses that are below sea level or on an eroded coast line they must be prepared to accept some risk/responsibility. Why should sensible home buyers have to bail them out.
Dredging those two rivers in Somerset will only help the tidal surge reach higher levels.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Exactly my point.

If people buy cheap houses that are below sea level or on an eroded coast line they must be prepared to accept some risk/responsibility. Why should sensible home buyers have to bail them out.
Dredging those two rivers in Somerset will only help the tidal surge reach higher levels.

Too much knee-jerk reaction by politicians - suggesting the experts know fall. As you say - dredging seems an obvious answer to the problems of rivers flooding - but it doesn't work like that quite so easily. The gradient of the river is crucial I read. So low gradient tidal rivers like those in the Somerset Levels silt up very rapidly as silt is deposited as the tide turns - and the tide turns twice a day every day.

The Clyde has serious silting but it was worth dredging it for as long as shipping travelled up river into the city - commercially sensible thing to do. But it is done much less these days because there is no commercial need. It will still be done around the yards as it is necessary.

And flooding is caused by a whole variety of reasons. Our course is suffering due to the way a neighbouring farmer cultivates his fields and puts down ground sheeting to minimise weed growth. And with the fields sloping towards the course - where does gravity take the water? Onto our course. Wouldn't have happened maybe 20yrs ago as this method of weed growth restriction wasn't used. And of course run-off is much less when the fields are fallow. Can rain all it likes but it doesn't run off the fields onto the course. And for polythene on ground also read building and roads and even putting hard standing where grass was.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Too much knee-jerk reaction by politicians - suggesting the experts know fall. As you say - dredging seems an obvious answer to the problems of rivers flooding - but it doesn't work like that quite so easily. The gradient of the river is crucial I read. So low gradient tidal rivers like those in the Somerset Levels silt up very rapidly as silt is deposited as the tide turns - and the tide turns twice a day every day.

The Clyde has serious silting but it was worth dredging it for as long as shipping travelled up river into the city - commercially sensible thing to do. But it is done much less these days because there is no commercial need. It will still be done around the yards as it is necessary.

And flooding is caused by a whole variety of reasons. Our course is suffering due to the way a neighbouring farmer cultivates his fields and puts down ground sheeting to minimise weed growth. And with the fields sloping towards the course - where does gravity take the water? Onto our course. Wouldn't have happened maybe 20yrs ago as this method of weed growth restriction wasn't used. And of course run-off is much less when the fields are fallow. Can rain all it likes but it doesn't run off the fields onto the course. And for polythene on ground also read building and roads and even putting hard standing where grass was.

I think so with many out of town retails parks, business centres, domestic block paving and the list could go on all contribute to less natural drainage areas and with more hard standing the old antiquated drainage systems across the country are clearly showing they can't cope!

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a question for the Scots on here.

Do you sing GSTQ?

No, but I actually quite like The Queen, she seems a decent sort.

Now. Scotland already has economic stability. It's just that the SNP say they could be wealthier if they go it alone. This is about pride and nationalism and nothing else.
There is no doubt that Westminster will have to make it clear, pre vote, about the situation with the Sterling zone. I think they have already made it pretty clear it isn't going to happen and Mr. Carney's visit was all part of getting that point across. The sterling issue is so central to the decision the Scottish people must make, they cannot hold the vote without knowing one way or the other. Which just reinforces just how much this whole independence issue is built on sand. Clearly lots of promises made by the SNP with no knowledge whatsoever if it is doable or not.
Is it real independence if you have to rely on another nations currency to have a decent economy?
Is it real independence if you have to rely on England protecting you in the case of a nuclear threat?

All sounds like a cherry pickers fantasy to me.

I'll tell the jokes

How about we just carry on calling it UK because it's still United Kingdoms together :thup:

If Scotland leaves there is one kingdom,one principality and one province, so only one kingdom left...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What can he or anyone do about the floods. There is no plug to pull out.

He was a politician in 2007 when the last ones occurred, having been elected in 2001. He became Prime minister in 2010. It is now 2014. No good doing the rounds & pressing the flesh now, should have done something in the last 3 and a bit years. It's on his watch and he should have acted earlier.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He was a politician in 2007 when the last ones occurred, having been elected in 2001. He became Prime minister in 2010. It is now 2014. No good doing the rounds & pressing the flesh now, should have done something in the last 3 and a bit years. It's on his watch and he should have acted earlier.

July 2007 had record levels of rain for one month, 2014 has had the highest rainfall so far for over two hundred years.

How exactly is he supposed to control the rain?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
July 2007 had record levels of rain for one month, 2014 has had the highest rainfall so far for over two hundred years.

How exactly is he supposed to control the rain?

Surely if that happened with one month's rain, a forward thinking politician, given the issues with global warming and climate change, would have considered what needed to be done to prevent a repetition or at least lessen the impact. What exactly has he done? No one's expecting him to control the rain, but it's not unreasonable to expect him to learn from history.