David Cameron

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At what point does having an independent Scotland become more about pride than economic and national (Scottish) stability?
Now. Scotland already has economic stability. It's just that the SNP say they could be wealthier if they go it alone. This is about pride and nationalism and nothing else.
There is no doubt that Westminster will have to make it clear, pre vote, about the situation with the Sterling zone. I think they have already made it pretty clear it isn't going to happen and Mr. Carney's visit was all part of getting that point across. The sterling issue is so central to the decision the Scottish people must make, they cannot hold the vote without knowing one way or the other. Which just reinforces just how much this whole independence issue is built on sand. Clearly lots of promises made by the SNP with no knowledge whatsoever if it is doable or not.
Is it real independence if you have to rely on another nations currency to have a decent economy?
Is it real independence if you have to rely on England protecting you in the case of a nuclear threat?
All sounds like a cherry pickers fantasy to me.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's a question:

Let's say Scotland vote yes to independence, but after much negotiation there is no 'Sterling Zone' and only the only option for them remaining is to join the Eurozone and the Euro. Would the people who voted yes still be happy?

Happy or not - they'd be stuck with the decision and would have to make the best of whatever situation presented

If all the issues that are currently up for discussion weren't settled amicably or to what Mr Salmond expects would the people who voted yes still be happy?

As above

After the yes vote has been cast and people find out things aren't as rosy as they thought or were lead to believe they 'could' be, what then?

..and again as above. And you could ask exactly the same question for after a NO vote. Because following a NO vote are things going to be the same as now? Westminster won't say!

At what point does having an independent Scotland become more about pride than economic and national (Scottish) stability?

Don't know.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is there anyone in Scotland saying no?

And TBH, having listened to so much rhetoric about how badly Scotland is treated by Westminster I hope Scotland votes to leave the Union - never thought I'd ever say it but there appears to be so much bile spewing out, I think the relationship is becoming soured.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Is there anyone in Scotland saying no?

And TBH, having listened to so much rhetoric about how badly Scotland is treated by Westminster I hope Scotland votes to leave the Union - never thought I'd ever say it but there appears to be so much bile spewing out, I think the relationship is becoming soured.
Hobbit sorry to join the debate a bit late, but you could say that anywhere north of Watford gap is treated badly and as far west as Somerset.

I always find that it's not so much what the government says but more so what it doesn't say and even that is double tonged gobblygook. Eg, latest example. Dredging rivers would not make any difference to flooding, Davy boy one week later as soon as it stops raining we will dredge the rivers. Why if it makes no difference.

i am as fiercely patriotic as the next man and as royalist as they come, but if I was a sweaty sock, there's no way I would want to be governed by the sassanach heathens.

yup it will be tough, but if as a scot you are struggling for work, come to England coz it seems half of flipping Europe has.

good luck Scotland on the yes vote.

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps David Cameron cares as much as 99% of England

Well you bloody well should care because if Scotland does become independent you as a taxpayer will be propping up the Scottish currency if they want to retain sterling. What I don't get is how Scotland believes it can use sterling and be totally independent - as if the B of E and the English economy/ Tax payer is propping up the Scottish Currency as the lifeboat we will need to have some pretty major input into Scottish Fiscal policy.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well you bloody well should care because if Scotland does become independent you as a taxpayer will be propping up the Scottish currency if they want to retain sterling. What I don't get is how Scotland believes it can use sterling and be totally independent - as if the B of E and the English economy/ Tax payer is propping up the Scottish Currency as the lifeboat we will need to have some pretty major input into Scottish Fiscal policy.

You do realise that as part of the Union Scotland have a stake in the BoE?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's kind of like trying to prove a negative, you don't need a reason to vote for the status quo and most of us are actually quite happy being part of the UK and don't really hate the English or anything.

Added to that, most of the folk I know don't believe it's going to happen and so spend little time thinking, debating or worrying about it.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry late to this after OP.

Couple of questions and comments.

1] Why are so many posters saying England instead of rUK and is that part of the problem?

2] If you were a non Tory/Ukip supporter living in England would you feel happy in being isolated for the next 20 years min.
[remember only ONE Tory/Ukip MP was elected in Scotland at the last Westminster election]

I thought Dave gave quite a passionate speech to keep Scotland in the UK, whether he meant it or not was hard to work out. The Tories have quite a long history of throwing the Scots on the midden.

I try hard not to sing GSTQ but occasionally I feel that good manners come first.
[BTW why do English sporting teams playing against rUK teams continue to sing the British National anthem , I find that very bad mannered, perhaps they don't have a decent English one.

Scotland is still very much in the BT camp but there are an awful lot of folk who have yet to make up their minds.