Dando and Homer coaching today

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got out on the range. Bit nervous as the back is still a tad sore. Worked on a more connected and inside takeaway, much shorter swing and flatter wrist. Was working great, taking it away, stopped at a good position, checked the wrist set, and then simply turned down to hit the ball. Even with a pause, I was able to make some great connections and so proof that once I managed to start to work on it in stages, rather than trying to do everything Paul Foston was trying to cram into the 90 minutes, what he was showing me will work.

It was going swimmingly to the owner of the range and teaching pro David Johnson (http://www.lavenderparkgolf.co.uk/our-professionals/) wandered past and started suggesting a few things. As the owner of the range it was rather tricky to simply say "thanks but I'm good" and while he made sense, I want to stick to my plan and not get input other than from Paul. I let him try and get me to do the things he wanted (hip bump, path through impact etc) and tried to to what he showed. Once he wandered off, I simply reverted to the drills and stuff Paul showed me. I appreciate David's interest and input but it's not what I need at the moment.

As he's always pottering about the place (well it is his own business) especially at weekends I'm faced with a dilemma. He's bound to be there tomorrow and no doubt want to try and be helpful. Downshire is the nearest range, but full of kids and idiots and a hard place to focus and concentrate so I'm tempted to go to another range, probably Silvermere despite the drive as I think it'll be more conducive. Are there any other ranges in the Berkshire area worth trying first?

First signs are good but I was probably only swinging at 50% capacity and speed to try and slow everything and make sure takeaway and length were better but also to protect the back. It was a little sore but going to try again, at a better speed. Very happy and there is a lot of good stuff to come. I need to just use these first sessions to lay some very solid foundations

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Keep the work up - you could see positive change for Paul's advice so don't confuse it wth anyone else's feedback.

Wokefield Park is Berks but probably a bit far as just south of Reading, usually hitting into the wind and not covered so winter can be horrible down there - never that busy.

Pine Ridge though Surrey must be fairly close to you though clientele can be variable (I am a very rare visitor).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Keep the work up - you could see positive change for Paul's advice so don't confuse it wth anyone else's feedback.

Wokefield Park is Berks but probably a bit far as just south of Reading, usually hitting into the wind and not covered so winter can be horrible down there - never that busy.

Pine Ridge though Surrey must be fairly close to you though clientele can be variable (I am a very rare visitor).

Thought about Wokefield as it's not too far away but as you say, open air. Pine Ridge does get a few herberts intent on mucking about from previous experience so Silvermere starts favourite as HID wants to go to a few garden centres that way. Was looking at Maidenhead Driving Range and shocked to see after so many years it closes in November and the RBWM council is putting its new leisure centre on the site. Shame as that was great, tucked away

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Will watch part 2 later so for now I'll just repeat... don't get side tracked Martin - keep that clear focus on what you're working on... one piece of the puzzle at
a time 👍👍

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got out on the range. Bit nervous as the back is still a tad sore. Worked on a more connected and inside takeaway, much shorter swing and flatter wrist. Was working great, taking it away, stopped at a good position, checked the wrist set, and then simply turned down to hit the ball. Even with a pause, I was able to make some great connections and so proof that once I managed to start to work on it in stages, rather than trying to do everything Paul Foston was trying to cram into the 90 minutes, what he was showing me will work.

It was going swimmingly to the owner of the range and teaching pro David Johnson (http://www.lavenderparkgolf.co.uk/our-professionals/) wandered past and started suggesting a few things. As the owner of the range it was rather tricky to simply say "thanks but I'm good" and while he made sense, I want to stick to my plan and not get input other than from Paul. I let him try and get me to do the things he wanted (hip bump, path through impact etc) and tried to to what he showed. Once he wandered off, I simply reverted to the drills and stuff Paul showed me. I appreciate David's interest and input but it's not what I need at the moment.

As he's always pottering about the place (well it is his own business) especially at weekends I'm faced with a dilemma. He's bound to be there tomorrow and no doubt want to try and be helpful. Downshire is the nearest range, but full of kids and idiots and a hard place to focus and concentrate so I'm tempted to go to another range, probably Silvermere despite the drive as I think it'll be more conducive. Are there any other ranges in the Berkshire area worth trying first?

First signs are good but I was probably only swinging at 50% capacity and speed to try and slow everything and make sure takeaway and length were better but also to protect the back. It was a little sore but going to try again, at a better speed. Very happy and there is a lot of good stuff to come. I need to just use these first sessions to lay some very solid foundations

Driving range snob!!!!!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I really do wish you all the best Homer.
But can I just ask a question,and I’m not having a go.
Do actually enjoy playing golf?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don’t wanna be that fella.....but isn’t there all an element of deja vu about this ?

You may be right. However as GM were kind enough to pick me for this and Paul kind enough to impart his advice I think they deserve me to at least give it a go over a period of time rather than rock up, enjoy the day and then carry on as usual and the handicap stagnating in the mid-teens. If I try and it doesn't get better then at least I'll have enjoyed the process and seeing what I can do on a range and then on a course with it.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Love it. Always one shot to bring you back and I love being both on the course playing irrespective of form, and the journey to try and get better

Fair do’s.
I’d probably be in a nut house by now if I put myself under as much pressure as you seem to,to improve.
But we’re all different & like I said all the best 👍🏻

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You may be right. However as GM were kind enough to pick me for this and Paul kind enough to impart his advice I think they deserve me to at least give it a go over a period of time rather than rock up, enjoy the day and then carry on as usual and the handicap stagnating in the mid-teens. If I try and it doesn't get better then at least I'll have enjoyed the process and seeing what I can do on a range and then on a course with it.
It was a bit flippant! Apologies. What I mean is find a method/process and stick with it. If this fella is as good as is made out and what he had you doing resonates, ignore the rest of it. All of it; bloke down the range with his kindly advice, the other pros who haven’t really helped over the last 3 years, NGT, linear method (won’t include aimpoint as putting is a game within a game)
I’m not gonna post helpful YouTube vids as I know nothing, but don’t get distracted by the next golden bullet.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Homer have you ever had a lesson where you were told to keep the club face looking at the ball for as long as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.