Dando and Homer coaching today

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15344

Thats if you can bothered with all that palaver.

My path has always been "the laziest way to get as low as I can". Some/most of us cant be bothered going the range 1-2 times a week, spending a fortune on lessons, spending 3 minutes on the putting green pre-round building gates, doing things with string - sound like Blue Peter.

Just enjoy it, and it may come via a different guise.

"The lazy way to single figures" - I may write that, it would sell millions!!!!! :D

I’ll write the second part - lazy way to cat 1 :D

Time on the range for me is wasted time better spent on the golf course and I also believe it’s the very best place to learn and practise the shots.

Your line “just enjoy it” is spot on - go out and just play the game , if you play poorly - oh well it’s not stopping food going on the table and the next round is not too far away

Fish

Banned
Visit site
...it was simply to get to the correct static 3/4 top position, check in mirror, then swing down & through (amazing how far you can hit the ball from here with what feels like a half swing). Repeat
then play a normal shot feeling that position

How many times have we all been under a tree with a restricted swing and nailed the ball out and immediately thought, Wow, look how far that's gone 😜

So why then when the balls out in the open do we try and thrash the living dsylights out of it 🤔

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How many times have we all been under a tree with a restricted swing and nailed the ball out and immediately thought, Wow, look how far that's gone 😜

So why then when the balls out in the open do we try and thrash the living dsylights out of it 🤔

And conversely how often when we have a branch do we rehearse and practice and miss everything, swing back to what we think is the same place and clatter into the branch or obstruction. Feel and real as I'm finding out are two different things

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
good drill for practising a shorter swing is take it to the top and stop. make sure you are in a good position at the top. pump down, 1, 2 , 3 times then go ahead and hit it.

more reps per one ball. drills that move you want quicker.

[video=youtube;93qAqzg75_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93qAqzg75_Q[/video]

Fish

Banned
Visit site
And conversely how often when we have a branch do we rehearse and practice and miss everything, swing back to what we think is the same place and clatter into the branch or obstruction. Feel and real as I'm finding out are two different things

There's your answer right there, I want to see your next video featuring you under a tree branch using it as a swing aid.

I'm going to market with that 😜

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hey Martin, good video
Lots of positives to take there:

Strikes looked and sounded good... the posture looks good... the positions on your rehearshal swings look sooo much better and you've some great reference points to refer to

When you get to grips with shortening it (the drill I mentioned plus those from Gary should help) I think you'll be well on the right track

Good luck with it and don't get sidetracked :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hey Martin, good video
Lots of positives to take there:

Strikes looked and sounded good... the posture looks good... the positions on your rehearshal swings look sooo much better and you've some great reference points to refer to

When you get to grips with shortening it (the drill I mentioned plus those from Gary should help) I think you'll be well on the right track

Good luck with it and don't get sidetracked :thup:

Cheers pal. Just need the back to get better. Hoping to do a range session on Sunday. Working on nothing but takeaway and that short swing and wrist position. Can't wait to get started on it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Part two up on my youtube channel. Much frustration on my part but some good stuff and sound advice. Lots of good stuff for me to take away and the good news is the back is feeling better so off to start work on it this afternoon. I'll be filming it over the next few weeks (for my own reference) and IF/WHEN I get the backwing, takeaway and flat wrist sorted I'll stick some footage.

Thanks so much for positivity and encouragement. It has meant a lot and I see this lesson and the changes Paul wants me to make as really last chance saloon for the quest for single figures and in essence, the winter work and what I can do in 2018 is really going to decide if I can do it. I think what Paul has started to give me is a clean slate and the building blocks to simplify my golf (and thinking). Lets see what I can do with it

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Part two up on my youtube channel. Much frustration on my part but some good stuff and sound advice. Lots of good stuff for me to take away and the good news is the back is feeling better so off to start work on it this afternoon. I'll be filming it over the next few weeks (for my own reference) and IF/WHEN I get the backwing, takeaway and flat wrist sorted I'll stick some footage.

Thanks so much for positivity and encouragement. It has meant a lot and I see this lesson and the changes Paul wants me to make as really last chance saloon for the quest for single figures and in essence, the winter work and what I can do in 2018 is really going to decide if I can do it. I think what Paul has started to give me is a clean slate and the building blocks to simplify my golf (and thinking). Lets see what I can do with it

Lets hope it works for you Homer

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm going to have to watch part 2. After watching part 1 I put what the Pro was asking you to do into action at the range today. Considering I've hardly played all year, my ball striking was as good as ever. Can you thank him for me?

I genuinely hope that this Pro transforms your game, but I have to be honest. Watching part 1 reminded of that YouTube video of the guy chasing his dog. "Benton... Benton... BENTOOONNNN... BEEEENNNNNTTTTTOOOOONNNNNN....."

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3 things I would keep an eye on to prevent over swing.

•don't let the lead arm break down
•don't over rotate the hips. Feels some resistance
•don't let the right elbow get too deep or fly away from the body.

There may be more but those are the things id check first.

Tried these today, best ball striking in ages !

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tried these today, best ball striking in ages !

Good to hear. Pretty much impossible to over swing if you keep those things in check. You just can't physically do it.

There is probably a 4th check point with a funky grip or letting go of the grip slightly at the top to let you over swing but that would be rare. I'd love at those 3 things first.

Its perfectly possible to play good golf with an over swing. Its just generally harder, less repeatable and just wasted movements.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Enjoyed the 2nd part of this lesson. Part 1 was the real meat and bones of it all.

Obviously plenty for you do be getting on with over the next few months. Understanding what you have to do is the first hurdle.

The main things you want to get rid of is

•outside take away
•cupped wrist
•flying right elbow
•over the top down swing.

This video here is absolute gold for you. There is 3 drills which should be the order you do them to rid yourself of at least three of those faults.

The towel drill under both arms will stop you taking it outside as you will drop the towel if the arms come away and also the flying right elbow as you will drop it if it comes way up like you do.

The feet together drill will promote a more rounded swing.

The step forward drill will promote good weight shift and also the length of the backswing.

[video=youtube;FCrUo3ASV7k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCrUo3ASV7k[/video]

D

Deleted member 1740

Seems like a top pro and a great teacher. Stick with him Homer.

This.

Save your money and stay away from all of those other pro’s you use on a regular basis. The difference between your live lesson in jan/Feb to this recent one is massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.