Dando and Homer coaching today

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Two and a half hours stuck on the M25 and watching the Fulham game but got loads on video to go through. Worked with a guy called Paul Foston who was a great guy and primarily back swing related, shortening it, changing the path and trying to get a better wrist position. I understand the concept and the changes but trying to break 30+ years of bad habits in 90 minutes and take everything in was hard, so it's going to form the basis of my winter work, with a return to Paul's swing studio at some point for an update.

Did you record the whole lesson for your channel. That would be class.

The faults in your swing were really obvious. I told you a good pro would begin to sort you in minutes. Really glad you had this lesson. The over the top swing was killing you and was never going to be consistent.

If you hammer this over the winter you will have a great chance to move forward next year towards your goal.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did you record the whole lesson for your channel. That would be class.

The faults in your swing were really obvious. I told you a good pro would begin to sort you in minutes. Really glad you had this lesson. The over the top swing was killing you and was never going to be consistent.

If you hammer this over the winter you will have a great chance to move forward next year towards your goal.

Most of it, but hard as we had a heavy rain shower and I've not seen all the footage. Found it hard (impossible) to shorten as far as he wanted and get the wrist position and then make a good turn (to be honest probably too much info crammed into one 90 minute) segment but I've some stuff to look at and things to work on. I'll look at what I have on camera and put something on the channel at some point in the next few days

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most of it, but hard as we had a heavy rain shower and I've not seen all the footage. Found it hard (impossible) to shorten as far as he wanted and get the wrist position and then make a good turn (to be honest probably too much info crammed into one 90 minute) segment but I've some stuff to look at and things to work on. I'll look at what I have on camera and put something on the channel at some point in the next few days

Look forward to seeing the footage and also the subsequent changes you make.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im actually looking forward to practicing my short game now. Think it'll be a mix of range time (mats aren't great but it all helps) and maybe early mornings in local park

Even off the mats it gets you hitting a ball and you can groove the swing. Distance does not really matter. It's all about being confident in technique

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Sounds like some good things to work on and look forward to seeing more about it

Are you going to stick with him as your coach now through the winter?

Hope he gets you where you want to be, good luck 👍👍

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was Paul's main pro-am partner when he used to play the assistant pro series at Foxhills....nearly 40 years ago!

How time flies...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sounds like some good things to work on and look forward to seeing more about it

Are you going to stick with him as your coach now through the winter?

Hope he gets you where you want to be, good luck 👍👍

Its not feasible to use him as a permanent coach as it's too far to travel. There's a couple of guys at Windlesham Golf Club I was looking at (one who has glowing testimonies and one that does a lot of NLP stuff which is something I wanted to look at for a while). Still got some lessons paid for with the guy I'm using so I'll get these done and decide

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Im actually looking forward to practicing my short game now. Think it'll be a mix of range time (mats aren't great but it all helps) and maybe early mornings in local park

Does that mean i could get to putt out a bit quicker on the 17th at Swinley? For a short par 3 you sure did a lot of walking!

D

Deleted member 1740

I've just watched part one of homers lesson, blimey, if he listened to what the coach was telling him to do he'd be off single figures in no time.

Can't wait for part deux

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've just watched part one of homers lesson, blimey, if he listened to what the coach was telling him to do he'd be off single figures in no time.

Can't wait for part deux

Trust me it wasn't for lack of trying. That over swing has been finely honed after many years and is just stuck there for the moment. Plenty in part one that was good and strike was good. Some good stuff in part two and loads of good stuff for me to take away and work on over the winter

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed the video although i got a little frustrated watching the prolonged follow through as I kept thinking the video had paused and found myself pressing play to restart it :mad:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Finally a pro that will tell you what to do.

You know my feelings on that guy you posted the live lessons with before. He let you away with murder and either wasn't interested or couldn't be bothered.

This guy probably couldn't believe his luck when he seen your swing. Its actually such an easy lesson to give. You were doing it so wrong that it was easy for him to say, lets just stop doing that altogether, lets do it completely differently.

Looking forward to seeing part 2. I told you a matter of weeks ago a good pro would completely change your ball striking in absolutely no time.

All the parts will start to fall into place for you. You need to keep an eye on your take away. When you take it outside on the way back you end up with the cupped wrist at the top.
As the pro said at the end of the video, you need to go really slowly on the backswing. Especially now when you are trying to groove this new swing. The quicker you do it the more you will do the old swing and over swing.

I gave this info to you on a plate last march. Keep working on it and with your improved short game you cannot fail to progress. Before with the old swing you had to shots. A pull or a slice depending on the face at impact. Huge timing needed.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...golfing-sin/page5&highlight=garyinderry+homer

D

Deleted member 1740

Trust me it wasn't for lack of trying. That over swing has been finely honed after many years and is just stuck there for the moment. Plenty in part one that was good and strike was good. Some good stuff in part two and loads of good stuff for me to take away and work on over the winter

I'm confused though Homer, you'd spent all that time travelling etc for a free session with a top 25 coach only to ignore what Coach Foston was asking you to do. 50% back and 50% through was what he asked, you bladdered every shot:rofl:

I'd understand if you made your backswing even shorter but you never.
You hit some crackers though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm confused though Homer, you'd spent all that time travelling etc for a free session with a top 25 coach only to ignore what Coach Foston was asking you to do. 50% back and 50% through was what he asked, you bladdered every shot:rofl:

I'd understand if you made your backswing even shorter but you never.
You hit some crackers though.

You miss my point. I WAS trying to do what he asked but if you've ever seen how long my swing is/was even with an iron, you'll realise that for me, finding a point that was short as he asked, compared to where short felt for me, was very hard. It felt to me as though those swings were going to shoulder height. That's part and parcel of the stuff he's given me to work on going forward

The other problem is we've never met, had a limited period of time, under a degree of pressure with everyone watching, for him to get his ideas over, me to understand them and try and make changes. There were a lot of things we talked about and touched on. It certainly wasn't a case of ignoring what I was shown. More my incompetence in managing to convert the information I was shown. Hopefully once my back is better I can hit the range, and work on the takeaway and length of swing on my own, in my own time and make the changes he wanted

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You miss my point. I WAS trying to do what he asked but if you've ever seen how long my swing is/was even with an iron, you'll realise that for me, finding a point that was short as he asked, compared to where short felt for me, was very hard. It felt to me as though those swings were going to shoulder height. That's part and parcel of the stuff he's given me to work on going forward

The other problem is we've never met, had a limited period of time, under a degree of pressure with everyone watching, for him to get his ideas over, me to understand them and try and make changes. There were a lot of things we talked about and touched on. It certainly wasn't a case of ignoring what I was shown. More my incompetence in managing to convert the information I was shown. Hopefully once my back is better I can hit the range, and work on the takeaway and length of swing on my own, in my own time and make the changes he wanted

To be fair Homer, the first time I had proper lessons was when I was off 9, as had been self-taught until then.

You seem to have 3 things that I also had.

I couldn't believe the length of my back swing, even when I thought I was swinging till 9 o clock. When he showed me the video it back showed me at about 10 past 2. The camera doesn't lie.

You also seem to "bob" and lose your height and dip into the ball.

Your takeaway is also "snatched", and looks like you need to ease the club into your backswing not snatch at it. It also made my swing tempo better - again all what I had to do.

I'm no great studier of a golf swing, so maybe take it with a pinch of salt, but theres 3 things that to me were noticeable.

Maybe next time get it on film, so the coach can show it back to you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be fair Homer, the first time I had proper lessons was when I was off 9, as had been self-taught until then.

You seem to have 3 things that I also had.

I couldn't believe the length of my back swing, even when I thought I was swinging till 9 o clock. When he showed me the video it back showed me at about 10 past 2. The camera doesn't lie.

You also seem to "bob" and lose your height and dip into the ball.

Your takeaway is also "snatched", and looks like you need to ease the club into your backswing not snatch at it. It also made my swing tempo better - again all what I had to do.

I'm no great studier of a golf swing, so maybe take it with a pinch of salt, but theres 3 things that to me were noticeable.

Maybe next time get it on film, so the coach can show it back to you.

OK, so the stuff I have to work on from Paul from the lesson

Left foot open to 11o'clock, right foot back an inch and feeling slightly closed (he was very happy with posture as can be heard in video)
Takeaway - outside the line and too jerky. Need to feel arms coming inside, club staying outside hands and smoother for first 6-12inches
Back swing- shorten to shoulder height (BIGGEST/HARDEST challenge) with flat or slightly bowed wrist
Keep wrist angle on downswing (flat) as video shows arms dropping down and wrist cupping on downswing (loss of angles/casting or stuck inside depending of what I do to try and recover in the swing
Rotate strongly to clear hips/shoulders - this was happening in video and will being club shallower and in good parallel release position (you can see the position Paul puts the club in on the video for me to try and replicate)
Release through ball (not opening face)
Curtail follow through and don't exit so far left He'd be OK with a full rotation to a finish position if path is on better line and not so low and left (need to discuss this point further as not covered fully at time and need to understand implications and reasons)

SO NOT MUCH TO BE GETTING ON WITH. As I said there was an awful lot of information imparted in a very short time frame in less than ideal conditions (15-20mph wind into our face and rain showers). Hard to take on board everything I was being told, break the bad habits and ingrain everything. Add in everyone staring at you on the range and adding an element of pressure and it was hard to do everything asked of me. Let me reiterate, IT WAS NOT a case of ignoring what I was being told, more my lack of ability as a golfer to change everything/some of what I was being shown in those lesson conditions and environment.

Once my back is better (hopefully next week) I'll be hitting the range nightly and beginning by working on the address, that first move back and trying to stop the overswing and set the wrist. I'm not too fussed on rotation, strike or direction/distance at this stage as I can't really move on to address the other issues until I can swing back better and shorter.

The plan is to go to Paul in his Kent studio after Christmas or before the season with a better, more refined swing in place and have an hour of tuition to ensure it's working (and correlate the exit questions). As a result, unless the swing completely deserts me over the next few months and I need some tuition prior to a competition to get me to a place to at least get it round, I'm planning not further lessons or intervention from the teaching pro I'm using, bar speaking to a guy who does NLP to learn some ways of thinking better/smarter on the course, but which won't impact the technique I'm working on. I have more than enough good stuff from Paul to see me right and I just need to be able to grind the changes. The overswing/wrist cup is going to be the biggest of the lot but I know if I can get that in place the rest should slot into a semblance of order and sense and I can move the handicap forward

I think I've answered the accusation of not listening to what has been said and ignoring the advice and hopefully this will now explain fully everything that you'll see on film (including the second part to come) and what I need to do going forward. I'm happy with how it went and grateful to Paul and GM for everything they did on the day. I don't really propose extending too much further on what I've put here as I think it's clear here and on film what the problems were/are and what is going on to move the game forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.